Bachmann 009 Skarloey Railway range

PaulRhB

• RMweb Gold

So, when was the loco named "Stepney"?

Stepney is a real Terrier standard gauge loco on the Bluebell Rly just like Talyllyn is the real engine Skarloey is based on. Allcroft tried to stop them using it without a licence but as the book was based on the loco itself, named in the early 19th Century, they could only stop the face being used.

The Talyllyn original also appears on the back page of the first book on the NG lines and I think Rev Awdry had already given the TR the rights to use the Sodor identities so they were exempt from needing a license to paint the locos from Allcroft except for advertising it as a Thomas weekend.

• RMweb Gold

No Stepney is in its authentic livery, same as the recently released O gauge terriers from Dapol.

Although I think she only carried it in reality in her original A1 form and then long after being rebuilt as an A1X in preservation.

More info on the licensing of real locos here

http://www.sodor-island.net/daysoutwiththomas.html

Interesting read about the licences issues. Nene Valley's "Thomas" can be seen at any time, it is a working locomotive (actually under heavy overhaul right now) and has always been painted blue with red trim, although it did not carry the number 1 in service. It almost always wears the "face" these days, although that wasn't always the case - but it never seemed to worry people pointing it out as "Thomas". It mostly lives at Yarwell, since it isn't suitable for passenger traffic and Yarwell is the main joining point, so if you want to see "Thomas" it is the best location.

Stepney is a suburban in South London if I remember correctly. Most of the Terriers were named after places on their routes or other places associated with the L&BSCR.

Oranges and lemons, say the bells of St Clements

You owe me five farthings, say the bells of St Martins

When will you pay me, say the bells of Old Bailey

When I grow rich, say the bells of Shoreditch

When will that be, say the bells of Stepney

I do not know, says the great bell at Bow

Interesting read about the licences issues. Nene Valley's "Thomas" can be seen at any time, it is a working locomotive (actually under heavy overhaul right now) and has always been painted blue with red trim, although it did not carry the number 1 in service. It almost always wears the "face" these days, although that wasn't always the case - but it never seemed to worry people pointing it out as "Thomas". It mostly lives at Yarwell, since it isn't suitable for passenger traffic and Yarwell is the main joining point, so if you want to see "Thomas" it is the best location.

I believe HiT tried to sue, but were knocked back as the NVR Thomas was named by Awdry himself. From what I understand, the NVR cannot run days out with Thomas events and they cannot hire out the loco to partake in such an event. I love our local Thomas, definitely the best one in my eyes.

• RMweb Gold

I believe HiT tried to sue, but were knocked back as the NVR Thomas was named by Awdry himself. From what I understand, the NVR cannot run days out with Thomas events and they cannot hire out the loco to partake in such an event. I love our local Thomas, definitely the best one in my eyes.

AIUI the 'grandfather' exemption means that they do run advertised Thomas days but that these are not officially licenced, so presumably they can't dress a member of staff up as Sir Topham Hatt or what have you, and as you say they can't hire the engine out. 

• RMweb Gold

It's available as a 'grey import' from at least two shops listed earlier in the thread. It cannot be sold by Bachmann UK in Skarloey livery.

More due next week from,

https://www.tootallythomas.co.uk/ourshop/cat_623585-Engines.html

http://www.thedieselworks.co.uk/thomas-tank-range-c-37.html

With Peco L&B van, open and their freelance flat.

post-6968-0-89137900-1450528220_thumb.jpg

Edited by PaulRhB

Stepney is a suburban in South London if I remember correctly. Most of the Terriers were named after places on their routes or other places associated with the L&BSCR.

its east London between Whitechapel and Bow road on the district line of the tube and the Fenchurch street line i think something to do with the NLR route in to the docks

B

NVR Thomas is, after all, the "original and genuine" one!

It cannot take part in such an event, but it CAN be hired out (without the face) as a what it is, a 1947 Hudswell Clarke in its historic livery. AFAIK it has never been out of Peterborough during preservation, but it could if required

The Fat Controller has certainly been seen on the Santa Special over the years, and Thomas is usually in steam at Yarwell, although not this year

Edited by rockershovel

Well done to Tootally Thomas. I ordered Skarloey at 7am or so yesterday - postman has just delivered. Excellent service!

Impressive. I've one reserved from them next week.

Appreciate it's only just arrived but be interested in your views please Sir.

Edited by otty

It's the first oo9 model I've owned so please judge my comments in that context. Some pictures below. For a small model, and I've pictured next to an oo Thomas for comparison, it feels a decent weight. It's predominantly die cast. Cylinders and plastic valve gear look clunky to me and, unsurprisingly, there's no back head detail.

I've not seen any of the films nor any of the TV episodes featuring Skarloey so can't comment on how the representation is relative to those sources. I'd rather compare to the original series!

Challenge a is, as most people know, that the Railway Series is inconsistently illustrated. I've open in front of me no10 "Four Little Engines" which is Dalby illustrated. P54 has a nice picture of Skarloey backing down on coaches. I've also got no14 "The Little Old Engine", illustrated by Kenney, open. P60 has a good view of Skarloey. Now as devotees of the series will know, Skarloey is sent for overhaul at the end of no10 which may account for some differences, eg the taller chimney with a copper band in book 14 which is closer to ehat Bachmann has modelled, albeit without a copper band. Front buffer of model is obscured by a coupling, I guess if they use that excuse for a modified hall, what chance does a narrow gauge engine stand! Most glaring point difference I can immediately see is both railway series illustrators show the loco with one tool box on its right hand side. Bachmann has one on each side. I've not seen the real Talyllyn and don't know if that's a change since the late 50s when the books were first published. Bachmann show the coal bunkers open. The books generally don't. Lining is silver on the model, both books are a shade of blue and the red of the model doesn't correspond to either the shade used by Dalby or Kenney. It's somewhere in between. The name on the saddle tank is printed on a red background. Both illustrators seem to have it directly on the tank and Bachmann haven't captured the font of the original.

Edit: on the packaging, apart from the logos, it seems virtually identical to the Hornby Thomas boxes we're familiar with in the uk. Colour seems the same and there's details of the rest of the narrow gauge range on the back. If I was being cynical, I'd suggest the packaging is all made in the same place irrespective of whose products it's used for. There's a stamp on the back of "K151029" which I assume is a factory serial number

For a whimsical purchase, I'm happy with it

David

post-22698-0-48064800-1450532609_thumb.jpg

post-22698-0-07757500-1450532629_thumb.jpg

post-22698-0-00415500-1450532650_thumb.jpg

post-22698-0-88775400-1450532671_thumb.jpg

post-22698-0-03752600-1450532687_thumb.jpg

post-22698-0-47900100-1450532705_thumb.jpg

Edited by Clearwater
  • Like 4

Thank you very much David, very interesting post. I've ordered one as I model OO9, the more pics I see the more I doubt I'll change anything & I'll run it as is (& why not lol)

Edited by otty
  • Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Got mine too this morning, tiny but a quick test run showed it ran nice and smoothly

The lack of cab interior / backhead detail is an obvious compromise but something which would be all but hidden if crew are added

A brilliant little model 

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

The track I used to test mine is from the Peco n gauge track starter set which I think are 1st radius (ST-12 curves) 9 inch radius curves and it ran on that no problem. 

The chassis does not have a rear bogie, all wheels are rigid but there is some side to side play in the middle axle

I think it would struggle on curves less than 9 inch radius

Edited by Ryde-on-time

How much were they being offered for on the UK market?

The websites linked to seem to have sold out. I'm guessing looking at the Dollar prices that they are not quite as 'cheap and cheerful', pound for pound, as the standard gauge Thomas range from Bachmann? Looking at other narrow gauge members of the Thomas cast list there could be some really useful ones given a lick of paint and a smokebox door!

-Double Fairlie

-Kerr Stewart Wren

-Ffestiniog 'Prince' / Duke the Lost Engine

-Maybe a couple of Corris spin-offs. My son favours a Peter Sam with a 'sat on' chimney (Giesel). I'd happily agree with him and buy one....

The only odd bit seems to be the thick spectacle plate.. presumably a bit of a cheat to get some extra weight over the wheels?