RMWeb Members Day, Taunton, 2015 - full line-up announced

Captain Kernow

The world-wide portable layout has completed its international travels and will now be cared for with a view to being offered for local shows back in Australia.

Thank you all again for the chance to show a small sample of my work and to have created something of a distance record for safe transport of a working layout.

Well done, Rick! This MUST be a record. Really good to chat with you last Sunday. Glad you and the layout made it back safely. See you in Taunton next year with another well-travelled offering... !!!  :derisive:

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

See you in Taunton next year with another well-travelled offering... !!!  :derisive:

There is just an outside chance of that ..... I have already accepted a photographic commission for mid-May 2016 but have yet to confirm my leave roster which runs 12 months ahead.  So maybe - just maybe.

• 9 months later...
  • RMweb Premium

Sorry to arouse the slumbering but .........

I have become aware that an O-gauge layout, "Arakoola", based in New South Wales, is being shipped over for exhibition at Telford later this year.  It's an amazing layout and a herculean (and costly) task to do such a thing.  They have also filed for a world record for farthest-travelled model railway.

In view of the fact that Boghouses has travelled farther by at least 1500 miles I have today formally lodged a counter-claim to this record with Guinness World Records and await the outcome.

• Like 7

• RMweb Premium

Much appreciated thanks Don.  

I didn't set out to create a record.  The possibility occurred to me during the construction process and in discussion with other modellers.  Since Boghouses appeared at Staplegrove the potential for a world record has been quietly acknowledged by a number of us both here and on other forums.  We'll see what the Guinness people have to say.

• Like 3

• RMweb Premium

Much appreciated thanks Don.  

I didn't set out to create a record.  The possibility occurred to me during the construction process and in discussion with other modellers.  Since Boghouses appeared at Staplegrove the potential for a world record has been quietly acknowledged by a number of us both here and on other forums.  We'll see what the Guinness people have to say.

Without knowing exactly where you are Rick (I know you are not far from PCM) and also not knowing exactly where Arakoola is based (somewhere in Greater Sydney?), running some lat and long coordinates through a great circle calculator I found on the web shows it to be a close-run thing (see http://williams.best.vwh.net/gccalc.htm) but I reckon you've got your nose in front.

• RMweb Premium

Without knowing exactly where you are Rick (I know you are not far from PCM) and also not knowing exactly where Arakoola is based (somewhere in Greater Sydney?), running some lat and long coordinates through a great circle calculator I found on the web shows it to be a close-run thing (see http://williams.best.vwh.net/gccalc.htm) but I reckon you've got your nose in front.

Yes it could be a close thing depending upon how one calculates distance.  I used the IATA air-miles calculator as I have no other realistic way to calculate the exact flight paths taken.  Between home and airport here and between airport and the various points en route in the UK I used Google Maps.

I'm not far from P.C.M as you say.  About 25 kms or 13 miles closer to yourself and the UK.  I don't think there's much chance of Llanbourne being exhibited back in the UK but I believe it was shipped out as personal possessions though from a town closer to his port of departure so for A-to-B total I'd still claim the record  ;)

Edit : I've had a chance to play with the link above and a couple of others to cross-check, using exact latitude and longitude for my home and the RMW/SWAG venue, and I come up with a "true distance" figure by this means of 17150.2kms or just over 10656½ miles each way for Boghouses.  That ignores the additional 145 miles each way to and from Penzance which the layout travelled between arrival in the UK and exhibition at Taunton and the slight deviation via the Sussex coast which was also taken but is probably inconsequential.  I too do not know exactly where Arakoola is based but working on the assumption that it is in the Sydney area which is around 980kms / 609 miles north of here and that Telford is also a shorter distance away than Taunton by a few miles I'm still happy.  

Edited by Gwiwer