RMweb Challenges for 2015

Andy Y

I'd like to announce two distinct challenges to tie in with out 10th birthday year which show that the site is about practical activity as much as debate. Forums will be opened up for the challenges this week to cover the parameters and for members to record their projects.

The BRM/RMweb 'build a loco' challenge.

There will be three entry categories into which projects can fall.

• Scratchbuild/Kitbuild
  • Modified RTR
  • Static display

The challenge will run to the end of the year and the challenge is supported through the pages of BRM.

The RMweb Modular Challenge

To boost the RMweb Modular Project the challenge is to build a BritMod-OO module or several, an accessible form of community modelling and a way to produce something whatever your budget or space constraints which may preclude building anything larger.

Very many thanks for including modular in the competition - hopefully this will give it the boost it needs and not just a few of us in the south east "having a go at it".

I am sure that you already have a number of ideas on how this will work so I'll keep quiet for now and see what the announcements are - you know where I am if you want to discuss anything :)

Excellent news on the Modular challenge.

Best place for anyone to start is with the standards http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/88537-rmweb-modular-project-standards/

Then if you have any questions just pop by the Modular Project Area  http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/forum/252-rmweb-modular-project/

From a personal point of view I really like the idea, I can have my small board at home then if there is a meet up I can take it there for the "exhibition" experience of a larger set up with my small world involved.

So pop on by and have a go, I will be.

Steve

From a personal point of view I really like the idea, I can have my small board at home then if there is a meet up I can take it there for the "exhibition" experience of a larger set up with my small world involved.

I have several modules under construction or in mind already that can be used in a flexible arrangement to fit a modular meeting, or can in fact all connect together to operate as a standalone layout - meaning that it doesn't necessarily need to stand idle for 99% of the year once it's complete - I also have an independent exhibitable layout that I can show off in its own right, and of course the benefit of it being modular is that it can 'expand' to fill the space that an exhibition manager has available and if someone drops out at the last minute, no problem I just put a couple of plain boards of a "module with a purpose" in the van.

• RMweb Premium

I've dug out a couple of kits for which I have all (or nearly all) the bits for, which have otherwise languished at the bottom of a storage box. They're a DJH S&DJR 7F (for the small boiler version that Bachmann don't currently do) and Wills/SEF Q. I can't make promises to actually finishing them due to so many things that could happen (and based on past experience probably will) that would remove my facilities or time, but I'm pencilling them in as possibles for this competition.

• RMweb Premium

I've been 'umming and ahing' about having a go at building a locomotive kit, as I have never actually built one.

Those RT Sentinels look so appealing, and Mr Parker did a nice how to in BRM not that long ago.

This maybe the push I have been looking for.

Owen

• Administrators

I've been 'umming and ahing' about having a go at building a locomotive kit, as I have never actually built one.

Those RT Sentinels look so appealing, and Mr Parker did a nice how to in BRM not that long ago.

This maybe the push I have been looking for.

Owen

Puuuuuush!!!!

RTSentinal.jpg

It IS a very nice looking loco. Go for it.

Is this the push I need to build the Judith Edge Thomas Hill Steelman Royale that has been sat in it's box since DEMU 2014? Entering my first attempt at kitbuilding into a challenge may be a bit brave (or stupid?).

I have fancied trying to join in the modular project, but being so far "oop north" assumed I'd have to travel quite a distance to link up with any other modules.

• RMweb Premium

Is this the push I need to build the Judith Edge Thomas Hill Steelman Royale that has been sat in it's box since DEMU 2014? Entering my first attempt at kitbuilding into a challenge may be a bit brave (or stupid?).

I have fancied trying to join in the modular project, but being so far "oop north" assumed I'd have to travel quite a distance to link up with any other modules.

Build a very long module to save on the distance travelled

Regards

Ian

Would 3D printing be allowed for locomotives, and would it fall under the category of Scratchbuilding?

As the category is for scratchbuild/kitbuild and the next one is modified rtr I don't see that it would matter for this challenge. I would have thought anything which didn't involve a commercial rtr model would be in the first category.

I intend to enter this year with a loco build. I have a couple of candidates in mind, one for Tucking Mill and one for Bath. Not sure which one to choose although I could do with building both!

So two entries then. ;)

Archived