RMweb Challenges for 2015

Andy Y

Little dissapointed that there aren't many N gauge options. I have no space nor stock for 00.

The idea with the Britmod- names was so different scales could be incorporated under the same banner so BritMod-N, BritMod-O etc..

So nothing preventing a modular group in N under the same umbrella. Perhaps best if the same 18" wide boards were used in all scales to enable some of the laser cutting baseboard guys to get behind the project.

If there was enough interest in various modular groups maybe Andy could ammend the wording on the challenge.

Steve

Little disappointed that there aren't many N gauge options. I have no space nor stock for 00.

I can see your point as regards to the BritMod-OO (Dave) challenge but then I have seen little enthusiasm for a N or 2mm Modular system among all the discussions on "Dave". Perhaps there is none - or the N gaugers feel that is beyond them - I see no reason why.

As to the first challenge Did I miss the bit about specifying a scale or gauge? Why not build a loco in 2mm (there are some kits out there and some have been shown on RMWeb. Or, a modified RTR (I do believe that some do that even in N) Space should not be a problem for you - the space required for a N gauge (let's stop bringing gauge or scale into this) small loco is much less than for a larger scale/gauge loco. It is not as if this year's challenges require a layout. For a change build a loco first then when you have that illusive space build a layout for the loco/stock.

I think this year's challenges are the most inclusive that they have ever been.

What's going to be Jazz's prize?

The idea with the Britmod- names was so different scales could be incorporated under the same banner so BritMod-N, BritMod-O etc..

The name is so redolent of blokes on scooters, with red, white and blue roundels sewn on the backs of their parkas, though.

You could go with Dave instead if you wanted as that was the runner up in the name poll. Maybe need to have Dave-OO or Dave-N but everyone in the modular section will know what your going on about...

• RMweb Gold

I might have a go at Connoisseur Starter (little Nellie) kit then, I've always fancied building something to go in a display case (or an O gauge inglenook).

Inglenook!

Nellie ain't no shelf queen.

• RMweb Gold

This sounds like a very clever way to get folk digging all those hidden kits out of wardrobes and cupboards and - I wouldn't be surprised - buried caches in the garden.

Best of luck to everyone participating.

This probably won't include me.

Nothing personal, you understand - I'm all for these challenges and I think they sound amazing.

They should also help a number of people to hone their modelmaking skills - which I'm sure we all want.

No - the reason I probably won't be having a go is that I'm not planning to build locos in the near future - well, not the sort that would be likely to be eligible, anyway.

For a while, I've been thinking of having a go at a freelance On30 "critter" - the sort of thing that the late Howard Clarke was known for - though I'm not sure that it would end up being painted yellow. (I'm also unsure if it would actually see much use on a layout - but that's another story.)

Other than that, I'm mainly interested in passenger railcars and trams - so no locos, I'm afraid - not right now, anyway.

In fact, I don't have any loco kits stashed away and - unless I see any kits I like (probably Backwoods Miniatures, or similar) at a show - I'm not likely to have any in the near future.

The only real locos that I'd really like to have a go at any time soon are US boxcabs.

Unfortunately, I've been having some "fun" locating usable drawings of the things. OK - I know there are a couple of boxcab themed website out there - one, in particular, which seems to have loads of information, but it's badly laid out and in a form which is very difficult to navigate and use.

In other words, I don't think I'm likely to be entering.

However, I'd like to wish the people who will be entering all the best.

I'm also looking forward to seeing what everyone comes up with - and how you go about it.

Regards,

Huw.

No - the reason I probably won't be having a go is that I'm not planning to build locos in the near future - well, not the sort that would be likely to be eligible, anyway.

For a while, I've been thinking of having a go at a freelance On30 "critter" - the sort of thing that the late Howard Clarke was known for - though I'm not sure that it would end up being painted yellow. (I'm also unsure if it would actually see much use on a layout - but that's another story.)

Other than that, I'm mainly interested in passenger railcars and trams - so no locos, I'm afraid - not right now, anyway.

I have not seen anything that excludes anything. OK, maybe if you were planning to build something 12inch : 1ft - but still not excluded by the challenge.

Trams, railcars maybe stretching it a little but I still don't think they are excluded specifically though I assume the challenge is pointing more to a motorised "loco" - but yet again nothing is any rules* yet to restrict it or to even suggest that the "loco" has to be powered or of a steam/diesel/electric. In fact as I see it atm even a wagon addapted with a motor could get included :prankster:

* there are none yet, but I'm sure Andy has some ideas to narrow it down a little.

• RMweb Gold

I have not seen anything that excludes anything. OK, maybe if you were planning to build something 12inch : 1ft - but still not excluded by the challenge.

Trams, railcars maybe stretching it a little but I still don't think they are excluded specifically though I assume the challenge is pointing more to a motorised "loco" - but yet again nothing is any rules* yet to restrict it or to even suggest that the "loco" has to be powered or of a steam/diesel/electric. In fact as I see it atm even a wagon addapted with a motor could get included :prankster:

* there are none yet, but I'm sure Andy has some ideas to narrow it down a little.

I'd agree with Kenton, nothing is ruled out. I suspect that if it's self propelled, it's ok. Certainly one of my two entries is a PMU (not DMU), the other a tender loco, albeit a small one - and before anyone asks it's not just because it's 2mm, the prototype was small!

Jerry

I've not set up the Challenge area yet but the rules won't be too limiting; any scale or gauge ( yeah 1:1 if you want!). What is more difficult is defining what constitutes modified RTR; should it be substantially different; something which covers a variant or just improved detail?

No - the reason I probably won't be having a go is that I'm not planning to build locos in the near future 

Isn't that kind of the point of these sort of challenges, though? To motivate people to build something they hadn't planned to do anyway.

I've not set up the Challenge area yet but the rules won't be too limiting; any scale or gauge ( yeah 1:1 if you want!). What is more difficult is defining what constitutes modified RTR; should it be substantially different; something which covers a variant or just improved detail?

Maybe rather than defining the terms to start with, perhaps the degree of modification could be used as part of the judging criteria. If someone has for example, just changed one digit of the number from 8 to 6 I can't imagine they will get many votes or impress many judges anyway.

• RMweb Gold

What is more difficult is defining what constitutes modified RTR; should it be substantially different; something which covers a variant or just improved detail?

Detailed / repaint vs bodywork modification?

I'd be tempted leave it as it is, if someone does a major job like the Emily to Stirling single conversion I think members are savvy enough to appreciate the extra work. Those that go by prototype would vote for that no matter what.

Maybe include a special judges award, of less monetary value, to recognise anything esoteric that doesn't get the votes due to subject? I think you accept that by entering the section ;)

Trams, railcars maybe stretching it a little but I still don't think they are excluded specifically though I assume the challenge is pointing more to a motorised "loco" ............. or to even suggest that the "loco" has to be powered or of a steam/diesel/electric.

Oh b*gger, looks like an LPG powered tram that was in itself 'stretched' from a previous version might be a step too far!

post-18627-0-10522000-1426528199_thumb.jpg

I'll have to think of something else maybe. :scratchhead:

so would re-bodying a loco with a langley kit be eligible? 

Been working on it for a few years but not got beyond stripping the old body off!

I did come up with an idea for an N modular layout, each baseboard being a wide IKEA billy bookcase shelf, literally using the underside of the shelf for the fiddle yard to accompany the layout sat on top for storage.

I have fancied trying to join in the modular project, but being so far "oop north" assumed I'd have to travel quite a distance to link up with any other modules.

The hope is that it would become more regional with perhaps national meets several times a year for the opportunity to all get together.

It's only just getting off the ground at the moment with a meet shortly in the South East which will prove the concept works. I myself am 'up north' (Carlisle) and there are module builders in Wales and yes a few more in the South East who have embraced the concept more but Andys little acorn is starting to take root.

The more uptake throughout the country though the better chance of regular meets.

Remember the boards can be any length it's the width with the track centers and the height that count so even a 2ft board with a straight single track is useful.

So take a look at the standards and have a go.

Steve

The hope is that it would become more regional with perhaps national meets several times a year for the opportunity to all get together.

It's only just getting off the ground at the moment with a meet shortly in the South East which will prove the concept works. I myself am 'up north' (Carlisle) and there are module builders in Wales and yes a few more in the South East who have embraced the concept more but Andys little acorn is starting to take root.

The more uptake throughout the country though the better chance of regular meets.

Remember the boards can be any length it's the width with the track centers and the height that count so even a 2ft board with a straight single track is useful.

So take a look at the standards and have a go.

Steve

I'm not sure how the modular concept works if people are doing different eras (though that question probably isn't for this topic) but I'll have to look into it.

A question that is for this topic is can you make multiple entries i.e. build a loco kit, modify an r-t-r and build a module? This of course assumes you've found the holy grail of the 36hr day :jester:

Either way this has got me motivated into actually doing something so it can only be a good thing.

Archived