Ford railcar and Ilfracombe goods in 2FS

• RMweb Gold

I normally build what I fancy with scant regard to what I need but now that Tucking Mill has been on the circuit for a while I have come to the conclusion that there are two items of motive power I would like to add to the roster of the North Somerset Light Railway. Both are archetypal Colenal Stephens types and would really help to reinforce the atmosphere I'm trying to create but both would also add greatly to the operating potential of the layout.

The Ford Railcars are pure Stephens and would be perfect to shuttle in and out of the station when I'm busy nattering. I am using a Worsley Works scratch aid for the main body with bonnets adapted from some white metal lorry kits (Langley I think) with the rest cobbled together from brass sections and 2mm Association bits. I did design a mechanism but the prototypes are so open and airy that I have opted for a powered wagon in between the two cars.

The Ilfracombe goods are also a Stephens staple with the Kent and East Sussex, East Kent and Shropshire and Montgomeryshire all having one - so why not the North Somerset Light:-) I fancy one with the six wheel tender but original boiler with the dome tight to the cab over the firebox. This will be a complete scratch build with wheels and gears again from the Assiciation. The big advantage on the layout is that, being a tender loco, it will have at least double the number of pickups of the normal little tankies that run the service.

The biggest challenge is that both prototypes are small - the rail buses are tiny!!

The intention is to run both builds in the same thread but if Andy would rather I split them then I will. I will take both along to the Taunton members day at the end of April so members can have a look at progress in the flesh.

If I can a) work out how to post pictures or links from Kim's iPad and b) find some that are free of copyright I will post some

Jerry

Edited by queensquare
  • Like 8

• RMweb Premium

I normally build what I fancy with scant regard to what I need but now that Tucking Mill has been on the circuit for a while I have come to the conclusion that there are two items of motive power I would like to add to the roster of the North Somerset Light Railway. Both are archetypal Colenal Stephens types and would really help to reinforce the atmosphere I'm trying to create but both would also add greatly to the operating potential of the layout.

The Ford Railcars are pure Stephens and would be perfect to shuttle in and out of the station when I'm busy nattering. I am using a Worsley Works scratch aid for the main body with bonnets adapted from some white metal lorry kits (Langley I think) with the rest cobbled together from brass sections and 2mm Association bits. I did design a mechanism but the prototypes are so open and airy that I have opted for a powered wagon in between the two cars.

The Ilfracombe goods are also a Stephens staple with the Kent and East Sussex, East Kent, Shropshire and Montgomeryshire and Weston Clevedon and Portishead all having one - so why not the North Somerset Light:-) I fancy one with the six wheel tender but original boiler with the dome tight to the cab over the firebox. This will be a complete scratch build with wheels and gears again from the Assiciation. The big advantage on the layout is that, being a tender loco, it will have at least double the number of pickups of the normal little tankies that run the service.

The biggest challenge is that both prototypes are small - the rail buses are tiny!!

The intention is to run both builds in the same thread but if Andy would rather I split them then I will. I will take both along to the Taunton members day at the end of April so members can have a look at progress in the flesh.

If I can a) work out how to post pictures or links from Kim's iPad and B) find some that are free of copyright I will post some

Jerry

Jerry

I know how small the Ford rail cars are I have  already tried and failed    :(

post-1480-0-30203100-1355486501_thumb.jp

post-1480-0-16433200-1355486523_thumb.jp

bet yours works though

best of luck with the build

NIck

• Like 6

• RMweb Gold

Sounds like a great project, Jerry (and it was brilliant to see the NSLR at the weekend) - I don't think the WC&P had an Ilfracombe goods though? It's not something I've seen evidence of?

• RMweb Gold

Sounds like a great project, Jerry (and it was brilliant to see the NSLR at the weekend) - I don't think the WC&P had an Ilfracombe goods though? It's not something I've seen evidence of?

Thanks Corbs. You are correct, bit over enthusiastic with my Colenal Stephens lines there - OP now corrected.

Very enjoyable weekend at Nailsea. The wonderful Harrap/ Farmer ZOB roadshow were great company both during the show and in the evening.

Jerry

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Just a short post to get the ball rolling and to give an idea of the components to be used. I've put the basic body together of one of the railcars from the Worsley etch which gives a good idea of the size. I would like to power the railcars themselves but in order to maintain the light, open nature of them I think will almost certainly need to go for the powered wagon approach. my initial thoughts were for a box van but by using a low slung, 8mm motor I'm hoping I can use an open wagon with a tarpaulin. I think I'll put the mechanism together next and see how low it is.

post-1074-0-04604200-1427065249.jpg

post-1074-0-42347000-1427065261.jpg

Jerry

• Like 15

• RMweb Gold

Great projects Jerry. I look forward to seeing them. It is amazing a few years ago such projects would have seemed impractical. Of course you know what comes after them . Gazelle.  I think even John Greenwood would balk at doing one of those.

Don

........... I would like to power the railcars themselves but in order to maintain the light, open nature of them I think will almost certainly need to go for the powered wagon approach. my initial thoughts were for a box van but by using a low slung, 8mm motor I'm hoping I can use an open wagon with a tarpaulin. I think I'll put the mechanism together next and see how low it is.

Can I suggest a tall load of hay with just a tarpaulin stretched over the very top. While I can't remember seeing a photo of such a load on any of Stephen's lines, it is just the sort of thing that could have happened once the railcars were introduced and sparks from a steam loco were no longer a serious hazard.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Hi Jerry

Good to see this at Nailsea.

The Ford and Shefflex sets on the S&MJR, KESR and Selsey Tram all had baggage trailers which ran between the railcars. I'll send you a PM with some info.

Just a short post to get the ball rolling and to give an idea of the components to be used. I've put the basic body together of one of the railcars from the Worsley etch which gives a good idea of the size. I would like to power the railcars themselves but in order to maintain the light, open nature of them I think will almost certainly need to go for the powered wagon approach. my initial thoughts were for a box van but by using a low slung, 8mm motor I'm hoping I can use an open wagon with a tarpaulin. I think I'll put the mechanism together next and see how low it is.

Oh, you're a brave man, Gunga Din!

But an inspiring topic, Jerry. I've always delighted in the Ford railcars of various ilks - my favourite is the Derwent Valley Light Railway set.

For your Ford railcar set - to maintain that light 'n airy character so typical of these vehicles - I suggest you avoid that 'box van' scenario, but instead look first at the practicalities of motorising one of those small 4-wheel luggage wagons the Colonel used between his pairs of railcars.

With a Nigel Lawton motor and one of his natty friction drives, you might just get away with it under a load of boxes covered with a tarpaulin. After all, it doesn't have to push/pull much except a pair of very light and airy railbuses either side!

To max adhesion, you could even consider casting most up the upper works in lead or whitemetal using a scratchbuilt body/load as a pattern. Just a thought.  :scratchhead:

As for the Ilfracombe Goods - super choice! Maurice H is in the advanced stages of scratchbuilding one in S scale (see his blog on here) - and like you, he is building the original small-boilered, rear-domed version (but with 4-wheel tender). I'm sure he has lots of prototype and modelling tips he'd be happy to share with you if you need it! Just ask him.  :declare:   

Edited by Phil Copleston

• RMweb Gold

Thanks for all the encouraging thoughts chaps - great minds and all that! I have ordered a 6mm motor and some friction drive bits from Nigel Lawton and Ullypug has kindly sent me some pictures of the trailers so that's the route I'm heading down at the moment.

I've been following Maurice's build, he's making a beautiful job of it as usual.

Jerry

• Like 1

Just for inspiration: This is the Colonel's unique Shropshire & Montgomeryshire Railway four-vehicle Ford lash-up! Composed of the S&M's three-car set with unpowered centre car (rarely seen), plus one of the railcar luggage trailers sandwiched between. The set is seen here parked outside the S&M's Shrewsbury Abbey station in the late 1920s. A complete light railway mixed train in one package.

post-14107-0-46614200-1427242971_thumb.jpg   

• Like 10

• RMweb Gold

Just for inspiration: This is the Colonel's unique Shropshire & Montgomeryshire Railway four-vehicle Ford lash-up! Composed of the S&M's three-car set with unpowered centre car (rarely seen), plus one of the railcar luggage trailers sandwiched between. The set is seen here parked outside the S&M's Shrewsbury Abbey station in the late 1920s. A complete light railway mixed train in one package.

That's the baby Phil, albeit without the extra unpowered centre car.

Jerry

• Like 1

The Shropshire & Montgomeryshire Railway's unique three-car Ford set, as seen from the other end. Here it is posed at Shrewsbury Abbey station platform during the mid 1920s. No luggage trailer this time, but a delightful light railway composition nevertheless.

post-14107-0-13811500-1427330655_thumb.jpg

And here's the same Ford railcars running on the S&M (as a two-car set) in 1928 (from 0:50):

Edited by Phil Copleston
  • Like 17

Progress must have been rather sedate with 20hp to drag that 4 car set.

Indeed, sedate. And smelly and noisy too! Apparently, the Colonel's railcars had a reputation for the stench of their exhaust fumes and the roar of the Ford TT engine.

As only the leading vehicle was powered, regular passengers 'in the know' usually took to travelling in the rear vehicle, leaving the Driver to it. Perusal of photos of railcar-pairs in normal service (not posed) often shows a lone figure at the controls, with a gaggle of passengers as far away from the fumes and racket as possible, huddled in the trailing (unpowered) car.

NEW EDIT: To demonstrate my point, you can see the Driver sitting alone upfront in one of the the Selsey Tramway's Shefflex cars suffering the roar of the engine on the left, while passengers elect to sit in the quieter unpowered Ford car being towed at the rear (note the missing bonnet cover) - the whole ensemble having just paused at Selsey Bridge Halt. 

post-14107-0-70118600-1427500084_thumb.jpg

Oh yes, the Colonel's lines were full of unexpected character!

Edited by Phil Copleston
  • Like 2

• RMweb Gold

A bit hair raising that clip it is obviously being filmed from a steam loco or something pulled by one. I cannot imagine the brakes on the railcar were that good perhaps the camera man hadn't thought about that!

Don

• Like 1