Ford railcar and Ilfracombe goods in 2FS

There's also this clip on the K&ESR:-

Super footage Sparks! Thanks for digging it out. This thread is fast becoming a Colonel Stephens Ford railcar-fest, but great fun. I hope Jerry doesn't mind?

I also found this footage of the Ford set on the Selsey Tramway. After passing the steam-hauled train going the other way, the Ford railmotor departs the loop - but driverless! What looks like the Driver is seen boarding his moving vehicles as they free-wheel out of Sidlesham Station - yikes! And note the centre luggage trailer with its goodly load (one for Jerry). The final scenes show Sidlesham Station building (rebuilt after the 1910 flood at right-angles to the railway alongside the road) and Ferry Halt.

The film title claims these scenes are from "1937", but that's too late as the railway closed in 1935. Also, the styles of dress suggest it was shot in the late '20s or early '30s. The over-writing "BTA" is a bit intrusive.

BTW, I've re-edited my post #22 to add a photo illustrating my observation that Stephens' railcar passengers often prefered the quieter fume-free trailing railcar. Take a look!

Edited by Phil Copleston
  • Like 3

• RMweb Premium

They seem to ride better than a Pacer would on the equivalent trackwork! I do think that the K&ESR should celebrate its arrival back at Robertsbridge by purchasing a Class 142 as the true heir to the Colonel's vehicles. Bus body on non-bogied underframe, what's not to like? They would certainly live up to their nickname of 'Bouncy Castles' on the K&ESR's jointed track. I seem to recall a BR official explaining that they didn't ride well on jointed track whilst omitting to mention that it was the sort of branch line trackwork that they were likely to work on!

David

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Super footage Sparks! Thanks for digging it out. This thread is fast becoming a Colonel Stephens Ford railcar-fest, but great fun. I hope Jerry doesn't mind?

BTW, I've re-edited my post #22 to add a photo illustrating my observation that Stephens' railcar passengers often prefered the quieter fume-free trailing railcar. Take a look!

Certainly don't mind Phil, I'm really enjoying all the contributions.

The question of a driver and passengers is a tricky one. I think I will add some as being so open it would look odd without but will just have to accept they are at the wrong end 50% of the time as it shuffles in and out of Tucking Mill! The trick will be yo make sure it is correct when being photographed.

Jerry

Here's more film footage shot in the early 1930s of the Colonel Stephens' railmotors on the Selsey Tramway, which you devotees of the more idiosyncratic aspects of British railway history will find interesting, I'm sure!

This short 1:12 minute-long film briefly shows the Ford railmotor set, first passing Pagham Harbour on the railway embankment, then arriving at Selsey station (note the single passenger!). This is followed by a longer sequence (from 0.25) of the rather fuller Shefflex set arriving then departing Chichester. Such is the crush, one behatted gentleman has elected to travel to Selsey standing aboard the centre luggage trailer!

The scene of the Motorman standing on the starting handle of the leading Shefflex railcar to get it going is priceless! Enjoy... 

Edited by Phil Copleston
  • Like 5

• RMweb Gold

Oh that is priceless Phil. I looked at the starting handle in an early post and thought I bet that's a barrel of fun on a cold damp morning. Looks like I was right.

Don

• RMweb Gold

Thanks again Phil, I didn't realise there was so much footage of these fascinating vehicles. This thread has really fired my enthusiasm and I'm looking forward to getting stuck in to the project when I get back from York. The bench is currently covered in yet more town buildings for Wadebridge.

Jerry

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

You should put your passenger in the baggage car to be prototypical then!

My only passenger has been asleep on the platform bench since I built it. Perhaps the rattle mad roar of a rail motor will wake him up!

Jerry

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

That last clip raises some interesting points. The first thing I noticed was that the exhaust seemed to exit in the normal road location, which probably made the rear car just as smelly as the front.

Just before the driver starts the engine, did you see the man with the can? I presume this is either a can of water or oil. I seem to remember reading that they used lots of oil, and water leaks were common too (probably from the shaking that the bodies got from rail use!).

As for starting, looks like the engine is quite worn, he turns it over a number of times to find compression!

Andy G

1. That last clip raises some interesting points. The first thing I noticed was that the exhaust seemed to exit in the normal road location, which probably made the rear car just as smelly as the front.

2. Just before the driver starts the engine, did you see the man with the can? I presume this is either a can of water or oil.

3. I seem to remember reading that they used lots of oil, and water leaks were common too (probably from the shaking that the bodies got from rail use!).

4. As for starting, looks like the engine is quite worn, he turns it over a number of times to find compression!

Andy,

You've made some interesting observations (I've numbered your points above, with my responses similarly numbered below):

1. Exhaust: I hadn't previously considered where the engine exhaust was emitted. Looking back through the clip, I can see what you mean. Although the 'exhaust smoke' could just be road-dust thrown up. I had assumed the exhaust pipe itself would be short and come out near the engine. But then, the railmotors must have been fitted with some sort of silencer so exhausting towards the rear would have been more practical. Then of course your point about exhaust fumes drifting into the trailing vehicle makes sense. So perhaps the rear car was just as smelly as the front car (possibly more so!).

2. Motorman or driver: "The man with the can"... You mean this chap? (snipped from the film)

post-14107-0-77723500-1427967196.jpg

He's the driver by the look of his 'uniform' (he is seen later in the clip driving the Shefflex set out of Chichester). Whether this is the same chap who is wearing the longer coat while turning over the starting handle, I don't know. But bearing in mind the Colonel's economies in staffing, I suspect it is indeed the same person.

3. Water or oil can: The can itself looks similar to the one in this well-known view of a man topping up the water of the Selsey Ford set from a re-used Shell Motor Spirit can.

post-14107-0-41875600-1427967742.jpg

At that time (1920s), petrol was generally only available in 1 gallon metal cans, so reusing the empty containers for carrying cooling water or lubricating oil was an obvious secondary use for them. 

4. Worn engine: Now you mention it, and having re-viewed the clip, I can see that the engine does seem very worn and 'loose', with him having to turn the crank shaft over some way before finding suitable compression to get it started. This must have been a right pain, particularly during inclement or very cold weather. No starter-motors back then!

Thanks for your observations, Andy. You have prompted me to more critically re-look at these old films and deduce from them far more about the Colonel's light railways' operating practices. Not sure how all this directly helps Jerry in his quest, but nevertheless good stuff!

Edited by Phil Copleston
  • Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Phil, I'm glad you find my witterings useful, I usually get told to be quite! ;-{

Having spent my entire motoring history owning morris minors in various states of decripitude, I tend to see things that I have done myself, although I haven't quite resorted to carrying around gallon cans of water.......

I find that with age, I now tend to look around the edges of the things I should be looking at, and there is a whole fascinating other world just waiting to be seen!

I was once told 'as you walk down the street, don't look at the ground, look up, above peoples heads. There's another world lurking up there that no-one ever sees.' How right this is.

andy G

• RMweb Gold

Back from York following a great weekend operating John Greenwood's fabulous Wadebridge layout. Waiting for me when I got home was a little parcel from Nigel Lawton containing one of his 6mm motors and a selection of pulleys so hoping to make some progress in the next few days.

Jerry 

Edited by queensquare
  • Like 3

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

What a wonderful thread

It certainly is, all sorts of useful pictures and film snippets turning up. I'm thrilled with the various contributions coming in.

I shall be taking the part built model to theRMWeb members day in Taunton on Sunday along with Tucking Mill and the under-construction William Smith's Wharf.

Jerry

• Like 2

Phil, I'm glad you find my witterings useful, I usually get told to be quite! ;-{

Having spent my entire motoring history owning morris minors in various states of decripitude, I tend to see things that I have done myself, although I haven't quite resorted to carrying around gallon cans of water.......

I find that with age, I now tend to look around the edges of the things I should be looking at, and there is a whole fascinating other world just waiting to be seen!

I was once told 'as you walk down the street, don't look at the ground, look up, above peoples heads. There's another world lurking up there that no-one ever sees.' How right this is.

andy G

I maintain elderly class 47s. They can get through some water. One of them likes a drink quite often. Oil is the favoured tipple of another of my charges. One things for sure, the compressor room and its contents won't go rusty......

• 4 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

Hi Nick, no progress in the last week or so as I've been trying to get the Wharf as far advanced as possible for Railex in ten days time. I have however bought Laurie Cooksey's wonderful history of the Selsey Tramway published by Wild Swan, the second volume of which has a chapter on the railcars including numerous photos and drawings.

The little chassis looks interesting. What is it and how does it run?

Jerry

• RMweb Premium

Hi Nick, no progress in the last week or so as I've been trying to get the Wharf as far advanced as possible for Railex in ten days time. I have however bought Laurie Cooksey's wonderful history of the Selsey Tramway published by Wild Swan, the second volume of which has a chapter on the railcars including numerous photos and drawings.

The little chassis looks interesting. What is it and how does it run?

Jerry

Jerry

a ebay special from 

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/World-Craft-Company-Electric-Locomotive-EB4111-Ueda-Kotsu-766403-N-scale-/351386837329?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item51d049a151

single axle drive but both axles pick up however may be tricky to adapt  to 2mm  but looks possible

out of the box it ran fairly well on my dirty track ( not been used for several weeks) I suspect the motor  is a 3v pager motor  looks to have enough umph to power a couple of light wagons though

also got some z gauge split axle wheels which may suit the railcars  (Gazelle is  beckoning me  :O)

Nick

edited for link

Edited by nick_bastable

This one might be an alternative - 4 wheel drive and relatively easy to convert as it doesn't have pinpoint axles. It runs reasonably slowly too. Like all chassis this small, it needs weight and as many wheels picking up current as possible.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/361286749161?_trksid=p2060353.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT