Ford railcar and Ilfracombe goods in 2FS

• RMweb Gold

Shocking, no updates since May. Afraid I got distracted by a couple of Midland loco builds for my Bath Queensquare project, neither of which are eligible for the competition as they were started a few years ago. The 1F 0-6-0T is finished ready for painting and the oil burning 3P 4-4-0 has made great strides but I feel the urge to return to the Railbus. Anyone interested in the MR locos can look at my Queensquare thread although I've attached a picture here to prove I've been busy - skiving, never, lacking focus, guilty as charged!!n

I've been down in the workshop this evening sorting the various bits into a box and carving about a Nigel Lawton etched chassis so that it will take a little Farish 7mm coreless motor much lower than the designer intended. I'll take some pics as soon as I make sufficient progress.

Jerrypost-1074-0-70172900-1439941136_thumb.jpg

Edit to note that for some reason I've posted a picture of the 1F perched on a bit of N gauge track at the back of my bench which does neither the track or the loco any favours!

Edited by queensquare
  • Like 3

• RMweb Gold

Well this is the driving force, a heavily butchered Nigel Lawton etch designed for some of his little 009 kits. I cut the middle section out of the fold up lay-shaft cradle and splayed the main frames out so that the motor, one of the new Farish 7mm coreless motors, sits lower. I'm hoping that a combined tarpaulin/milk churn load will hide it well enough. I'm going down the workshop this evening to select a suitable wagon kit from my gloat box to hide it all.

The wheels are those supplied. I have filed down the face to reduce the thickness and opened out the B to B to finescale standards. The flange thickness is a little big but just within 2FS tolerances and should work fine.

The little unit runs rather well despite the lashed up pickups and negligible weight - both of which will be addressed. I also intend having at least some of the wheels on the Ford units themselves picking up - ensuring adequate pickup is probably the number one concern in building 2mm motive power.

post-1074-0-96322500-1440007661_thumb.jpg

Jerry

• Like 5

• RMweb Gold

Couple of snaps of the mechanism fitted in a Farish 5 plank. I had hoped to use a smaller, older wagon but sadly the mechanism is just too long. I may scratch build one in the future as it's fairly basic but this will be fine for now. It runs rather well with the lead that was rapidly cut to fit with a pair of snips.

I couldn't resist propping the two rail buses up to see how it all looked. What is very obvious is just how small they are compared to a fairly standard wagon. They are missing foot/running boards etc and consequently sloping backwards and sitting too low but none the less......!

I am suitably enthused to continue.

Probably no more till next week - invasion of relations. It's evidently bad form to go hide in the shed!!

Jerrypost-1074-0-15970200-1440027444_thumb.jpg

post-1074-0-98965200-1440027461_thumb.jpg

post-1074-0-13861100-1440027483_thumb.jpg

Edited by queensquare
  • Like 11

• RMweb Gold

Jerry what wheels are you using for the rail cars ?

Hi Nick, they are Association disc wagon wheels with the pinpoint filed off and the little riveted centre boss from the Worsley etch superglued on. I will make up a little filing jig to drill the three holes in each wheel. They have brass tyres so can be used for additional pickup though not fully worked out how yet.

Jerry

Hi Nick, they are Association disc wagon wheels with the pinpoint filed off and the little riveted centre boss from the Worsley etch superglued on. I will make up a little filing jig to drill the three holes in each wheel. They have brass tyres so can be used for additional pickup though not fully worked out how yet.

Jerry

At least one if not both of the diamond framed bogie etches comes with a drilling jig. If you need the bogies anyway for something that may save you time.

• RMweb Gold

Jerry would a van body be more appropriate than an open wagon?  (or maybe you have a suitable pic?)

Hi Mike, if you look at the pictures and clips earlier in the thread you will see that a couple of the Colonel's railbuses had purpose built open wagons to run between the trailers. The open I've used is too big really at 16'6" but I couldn't get the length of the mechanism down to 15'. I may at some point in the future scratch build a mechanism that would be shorter and lower - I have an idea for a design - but this one will do for now. The wagon will be repainted, the sides thinned and a false load added and should be ok. What I'm not sure about is buffing arrangements, I may have to fudge it until I get round to building something more appropriate.

If I do make another, smaller, powered middle wagon, I have a couple of ideas for very small things that this one could be coupled to.

Jerry

• Like 1

• 3 years later...
  • 2 months later...
  • RMweb Gold

Must admit I'd completely forgotten about this thread. The Nigel Lawton chassis that was under the wagon is now under a Sentinel -  I'll post a picture next week. The railcars have made no further progress but I would like to get back to them some time.

Jerry

• Like 1