Scratchbuild - Stubby's Mystery Loco is..... The Fell !

• RMweb Gold

Never having even built a scratchbuilt wagon, I'm heading off in to the deep end with no waterwings with this....

More to be revealed later ( about November...).

Edit ~ Please don't expect this to be anything like a serious build thread...

Edited by Stubby47
  • Like 9

• RMweb Gold

Well, this is what I'm planning on making....

post-7025-0-93854200-1426684038.jpg

Yes, everyone's favourite loco !!

It will mainly be in plasticard, it might be motorised, it might be a load of rubbish (no, it was a load of rubbish).

Wish me luck !!

• Like 17

Just to spoil the party, and ask a serious question (I expect it to be the only serious part of this thread)... Do / did the two sets of wheel cranks / connecting rods stay synchronised in service ??

Just a thought! (Bluebottle ... Goons)

• RMweb Gold

Just to spoil the party, and ask a serious question (I expect it to be the only serious part of this thread)... Do / did the two sets of wheel cranks / connecting rods stay synchronised in service ??

Just a thought! (Bluebottle ... Goons)

The only photos I've seen of the thing in 4-4-4-4 form suggested that they did stay sychronised.

Lets not get ahead of ourselves yet...

The only photos I've seen of the thing in 4-4-4-4 form suggested that they did stay sychronised.

I think the reason for removing the centre coupling roads was because they duplicated the gearing that linked the two centre axles together. Which implies that they'd always stay in the same position relative to each other. 

Years and Years ago i saw a film (at one of the films shows put on by a chap called Rob Foxon) which explained how the contraption worked and had an animation showing the four engines cutting in as speed increased.

• RMweb Premium

Whatever you do don't use any of the published drawings - they are all hopelessly wrong. I spent about 18 months studying all the surviving Derby drawings and photos before arriving at the drawing I am using. I can't find any way of uploading it to RMweb but quite happy to let you have a pdf or eps copy of what I have. If you have Turbocad you can have the actual drawing. let me know your Email address and I'll send them.

Fell.PDF

• Like 4

• RMweb Premium

Glad you could download it, I wasn't sure if it worked. It's not a finished drawing yet and all the layers are visible in the pdf but at least you can get the shape right, 10100 was a long way from being a simple box! Biggest problem with the photos is deciding which end/side you are looking at, the Derby drawings specify No1 and No 2 ends but I can't be sure I have found any differences - other than all the evolutionary changes it went through. There's been a great deal of misinformation about this loco, I didn't see it myself but it seems to have worked quite well once the middle rods were removed (to avoid transmission wind-up). It's difficult to see BR buying any more though, given their dislike of even having two engines in a loco 6 would have been quiet a few too many.

• Like 1

Glad you could download it, I wasn't sure if it worked. It's not a finished drawing yet and all the layers are visible in the pdf but at least you can get the shape right, 10100 was a long way from being a simple box!

So when's the kit due out.... weird and right up my street (pre order at the ready) :hunter: :drag:
  • Like 1