Class 22 areas of operation

TravisM

• RMweb Gold

And heres an exception to the exception:

p790132600-5.jpg

D6320 1970-05-10 Cardiff Canton

:)

This reminds me we published a shot of D6356 at Stratford 30A taken in April 1967 on page 68 of Looking back at Western Region Hydraulics, also on page 67 a shot of D6328 near Witney c1968.

Kevin

I've seen the NBL Type 2's on the Blisworth parcels working from Oxford and quite regularly on the OOC to Wolverton Works coaching stock turns until the advent of the Class 31's transferred from the ER.

I have also been told that they ran through to Thame on oil trains via Morris Cowley before that part of the branch line was shut so I assume after that they would have run via Princes Risborough.

A strange working that I used to witness between 1966-8 was a WR hydraulic with vanfits on the MML at West Hampstead heading towards Kentish Town around about 19.00 hrs, I never saw it return by that route though. Occasionally this was an NBL Type 2 but more often it was a Western or a Hymek. It would be interesting to see where it originated from although it could have come via Neasden from the WR. I think it was a weekly rather than daily working and that the loco ran back light engine to OOC.

• Like 2

Vary rare in South Wales (west of Severn Tunnel Jct.)
But not unique, as my spotting notes show:-
I've put the whole days sightings in for the sake of completeness nostalgia

Saturday 06/03/1971
Cardiff General

53, 183
1003, 1012, 1015, 1045,
1595, 1665, 1677, 1699, 1715, 1904, 1926,
3261, 3266
6956, 6957, 6975, 6984, 6985, 6991,
7009, 7058, 7069, 7080
NOTE
6354 worked an unidentified ballast train in the down direction.
The following month 6327 was employed on a similar working and was
photographed looped at Llandough (pub. in Taff Vale Lines to Penarth by Neil Sprinks/Eric Mountford pub. Oakwood Press).

Brian R

• Like 2

The only other time I recall seeing a Cl.22 the Welsh side of the SEvern Tunnel, was on 25th. April, 1970 as my Cardiff - Eastbourne 'Mystery Trip' passed Severn Tunnel Jct. and there was D6343 together with D141, D814, D1756/1911/1938 and D3596.
Brian R

• RMweb Gold

Hi folks

Perhaps I might stretch the envelope a bit?

The Gloucester based locos made it to Worcester and although I have no evidence I suspect over to Newlands PW depot. They also appeared at Bromsgrove on PW workings when the layout was remodelled in the late 60s.

Oxford wasn't adverse to using its allocation as substitutes on other workings either - there are web reports that one made it over the Cotswold line to Worcester on a Class 1 working - good job it was going down hill! - and another to New Street dragging a failed DMU.

Cheers

Phil

Edited by Phil Bullock
  • Like 2

I was wondering if you'd spot that Jordan, you must have developed quite a bond to Lister having spent so much effort on that kit  ;)

BTW any idea where the name came from? Lister reminds me of Red Dwarf and racing Jags … neither of which have much in common with D6300s!

Edited by ZiderHead

• RMweb Gold

Name came from Lister factory at Dursley which was on one of the branches the Gloucester locos served

Allegedly it was named using an actual nameplate from a Lister product

Phil

• RMweb Gold

Has anyone got details of the delivery route? They were brought down the WCML through the Wigan area IIRC but I don't know how they got from there to the Western Region. Mine will certainly appear light engine in new condition on my Black Country line c1959/60.

Edited by TheSignalEngineer

Some 'local' workings involved quite a bit of mileage all within the regular daily diagrams - take the down evening 'local stopper' from Exeter to Newton Abbot c.1971 which departed around 20.10, the 22s booked to it often appeared in pairs on this and started the day working up and down the Paignton branch before working that 20.10 service and after depositing passengers at N.Abbot the whole shebang would go to Laira as empty stock.

;)

That evening stopping service from Exeter to Newton Abbot was also running in 1968 and 1969, at least in August when I was holidaying down there. And it was quite usual to see a pair of 22s on it.

• Like 1

Has anyone got details of the delivery route? They were brought down the WCML through the Wigan area IIRC but I don't know how they got from there to the Western Region. Mine will certainly appear light engine in new condition on my Black Country line c1959/60.

Yes I have, an old railwayman I know. Was in charge of all these deliveries from the NBL works and this is how it was done.

Stafford Road men were trained on the 63xx and the NBL Warships also so were some Crewe drivers.

They were delivered via the WCML via Crewe and onto Swindon via Stafford road , they always delivered them in batches sometimes the crews would travel by train to work them back but sometimes a light engine would run up to NBL works to pick up.

After sometime of doing these deliveries I' m told that the Stafford Road men would work throughout and the Crewe men did'nt like it.

Hope this. Helps

Cheers Gareth

Edited by TEDDYBEAR D9521

That settles it. I can justify one appearing in the Wolverhampton - Birmingham - Stourbridge triangle.

I forgot to add it did also involve Glasgow crews sometimes and it was also another way that the Swindon DMU 'S built for the Scottish Region were also moved this way as well sometimes taking a DMU Ecs and working back with a 63xx or NBL Warship

Cheers Gareth

Edited by TEDDYBEAR D9521

Some 'local' workings involved quite a bit of mileage all within the regular daily diagrams - take the down evening 'local stopper' from Exeter to Newton Abbot c.1971 which departed around 20.10, the 22s booked to it often appeared in pairs on this and started the day working up and down the Paignton branch before working that 20.10 service and after depositing passengers at N.Abbot the whole shebang would go to Laira as empty stock.

;)

The same thing still applied In 1975 but by then of course the Exeter area local trips were covered by Lairas 25s.

Exeter Trip 1 (Laira 92 loco diag) and Exeter Trip 4 (Laira 95  loco diag) were multied to work the 20.10 Exeter St Davids - Newton Abbot after separately working freight trips during the day.

But as in the previous class 22 era none of the Laira class 25s seem to have much (any?) diagrammed work east of Hemyock or Chard Junction,

cheers 

• Like 2

The same thing still applied In 1975 but by then of course the Exeter area local trips were covered by Lairas 25s.

Exeter Trip 1 (Laira 92 loco diag) and Exeter Trip 4 (Laira 95  loco diag) were multied to work the 20.10 Exeter St Davids - Newton Abbot after separately working freight trips during the day.

But as in the previous class 22 era none of the Laira class 25s seem to have much (any?) diagrammed work east of Hemyock or Chard Junction,

cheers 

I suspect that the 25s were far less likely to catch fire on the 2010 service and after the fire brigade had departed, the offending loco shunted into a siding/loop at Dawlish Warren leaving the other loco to continue the journey on its own?

• RMweb Premium

I definitely have several photos of Class 22's stabled at Truro, though do not have many on the Falmouth Branchline (that I can remember).

Andy

I was only a nipper at the time but I definitely remember seeing them on the Falmouth branch goods from the window of our B & B in Melville Road, Falmouth. Also, not totally certain on this, but I think occasionally in pairs on the Padd - Falmouth.

• Like 3

• RMweb Gold

Were the Old Oak one's just used on ECS and PW duties or did they ever venture onto the Southern (In the London area) with Inter Regional freight?

Julian Sprott

• RMweb Gold

Were the Old Oak one's just used on ECS and PW duties or did they ever venture onto the Southern (In the London area) with Inter Regional freight?

Julian Sprott

Closest I ever saw one of the Old Oak allocation to the Southern was shunting the milk tanks at Kensington Olympia, or standing next to rakes of Hals & Bils at Reading General. As an aside sister NBL product D6122 did stop over at Hither Green on its way for scrap at Woodhams in Barry to be used for re-railing practice.

Like Geoff above I seem to recall seeing a photo of D6356 at Clapham Junction somewhere in the past, but I cannot recall where.

Kevin

• 2 months later...