RMweb/BRM 'build a loco' Challenge--RTR conversion Ixion Hudswell clarke from saddle to side tank.

Although it doesn't retain it's shape, rolling styrene sheet seems to help the job in hand and I've now glued in a boiler extension piece..

post-7179-0-60051000-1430159482_thumb.jpg 

post-7179-0-68464900-1430159457_thumb.jpg

The little extra pieces of styrene are helping to keep the extension aligned and will be replaced by proper bracing bits once the glue's set.

Tank toppers next!

JF

• Like 4

Is there anything with outside cylinders, like this or this for instance? Not sure of the wheelbase but I didn't let that spoil my fun with the "Canal" class one I'm doing ;) ..

JF

I actually help the chassis up against a drawing for a Manning Wardle and it's pretty close, so I think I'll go ahead with that. The detail is all wrong, but once there is a body on it, I don't think anyone will notice until I tell them so.

• Like 1

Although it doesn't retain it's shape, rolling styrene sheet seems to help the job in hand and I've now glued in a boiler extension piece..

attachicon.gifIMG_20150427_165103.jpg 

attachicon.gifIMG_20150427_170625.jpg

The little extra pieces of styrene are helping to keep the extension aligned and will be replaced by proper bracing bits once the glue's set.

Tank toppers next!

JF

I was wondering how you were going to make that section of the boiler! Tank tops should go a long way to helping keep that piece in shape. 

I was wondering how you were going to make that section of the boiler! Tank tops should go a long way to helping keep that piece in shape. 

It has moved a tiny bit whilst the glue set overnight but I think I can lose it within the joint to the forward section.

Brass bits coming soon!

JF

Got the tinsnips, rollers and brass sheet out today. The boiler barrel and smokebox overlay were cut out and rolled from 10 thou brass and the smokebox front from a thicker piece of odd sheet I had in the bits box.

post-7179-0-32998700-1430244549_thumb.jpg

post-7179-0-60770100-1430244562_thumb.jpg

I need to run a line of rivets around the back edge of the smokebox wrapper and add an extra spacing layer between the outer wrapper and boiler. I'll also cut an inner former for the rear of the barrel and then it'll be time to solder it all up.

All rather worryingly coming together a bit better (and faster) than I thought it would. :scratchhead: Hope it all keeps going....!

There should have been a couple more pics but it's a bit hit and miss uploading pics from work (in my break of course :whistle: )

I am trying to keep it simple and not fuss too much over the finer points and as such it's quite good fun. A welcome break from fussing over whether my signals are right or not!

JF

Edited by Jon Fitness
  • Like 3

I have made and fitted the tank tops from plasticard and it all seems to blend in OK. I'll fit all the tank top details once the main structure is fitted together.

Brasstime!

The smokebox door was the first to be fitted. It's a brass casting so I decided as this would need the most heat, I would solder this on first. I applied some solder paste,  held the door in position with a 14BA bolt and attacked it with my gas torch. Next up was the wrapper which gained a line of rivets around the back edge then the lot was soldered together with 145 solder.

post-7179-0-15744100-1430427683_thumb.jpg

post-7179-0-42654900-1430427691_thumb.jpg

post-7179-0-66378300-1430427703_thumb.jpg

post-7179-0-02471900-1430427718_thumb.jpg

The boiler sheet, having been rolled, had a 1mm spacer applied between it and the smokebox wrapper and was all soldered together with 145

post-7179-0-26375400-1430427768_thumb.jpg

The first trial fitting showed the whole thing was sitting too high against the rear section so 1mm was removed from the base of the smokebox which seemed to sort it out.

Starting to look something like now...

post-7179-0-58889300-1430427728_thumb.jpg

post-7179-0-97322000-1430427740_thumb.jpg

post-7179-0-60855700-1430427755_thumb.jpg

Also starting to feel a little guilty as there's a few signals I should be getting on with rather than playing with this. Fun though! :jester: 

More in a while once I've done some signal work.

JF

• Like 7

This is beginning to look the part.  Not sure how far you are going with the conversion, but I do think the Canal's had flangeless centre drivers.

The Ixion Hudswell Clarke chassis is capable of running around a 36" radius curve. It doesn't need flangeless centre drivers.

This is beginning to look the part.  Not sure how far you are going with the conversion, but I do think the Canal's had flangeless centre drivers.

Hi Pete, Oooh you're probably right about the flangeless drivers but as the wheelbase is all wrong there's not much point worrying about it. As I look at it on the bench it already looks a bit "long" unlike the real thing which has smaller wheels and a brutishly short coupled wheelbase.

Really the exercise is a bit of fun using an RTR base and to see if I'm capable of some brass bashing from scratch.

Watching your scratchbuilds has inspired me to start cutting, rivetting and rolling so I see this project as a bit of training!Starting to wish I'd gone a bit more radical and tried one with outside cylinders or something. Next time maybe.

Cheers

Jon F.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Finally found a bit of time to progress the little beastie..

I've fitted a back end to the boiler tube, done boiler bands, one of which is to locate the boiler at it's joint with the plastic bit. The strange curved bit on the rear plate is to add a bit of area for gluing when the two halves are joined. Also added are the boiler feed clacks and pipes. These are a bit basic but they were from the bits box and had a few extraneous bits filed off. A washer was also soldered to the smokebox dart area ready for probably a scratchbuilt dart. 

I'm not entirely happy with the handrails but they'll tweek into position once it's all together. And yes, I'll fill in the hole I drilled in the wrong place too!

post-7179-0-53384900-1432387877_thumb.jpgpost-7179-0-10057200-1432387888_thumb.jpgpost-7179-0-61735700-1432387891_thumb.jpg

The 2 halves getting ready for fastening together, They aren't quite sitting right yet as I need to drill a couple of holes in the running plate for the feed pipes but once I've got it all to sit right I'll glue everything down. Probably make it less easy to paint but as it'll be all black, shouldn't be a problem.

post-7179-0-23076200-1432387904_thumb.jpgpost-7179-0-66258300-1432387914_thumb.jpg

Just realised the front buffer beam needs altering too!

More soon

JF

Edited by Jon Fitness
  • Like 6

Taking shape nicely Jon.

The way all these projects are going I need to get on with mine.

I think your projects are cracking on at a good pace Pete, especially all that valve gear!!

Jon F.

Finally found a bit of time to progress the little beastie..

I've fitted a back end to the boiler tube, done boiler bands, one of which is to locate the boiler at it's joint with the plastic bit. The strange curved bit on the rear plate is to add a bit of area for gluing when the two halves are joined. Also added are the boiler feed clacks and pipes. These are a bit basic but they were from the bits box and had a few extraneous bits filed off. A washer was also soldered to the smokebox dart area ready for probably a scratchbuilt dart. 

I'm not entirely happy with the handrails but they'll tweek into position once it's all together. And yes, I'll fill in the hole I drilled in the wrong place too!

attachicon.gifIMG_0879 (1000x750).jpgattachicon.gifIMG_0881 (1000x750).jpgattachicon.gifIMG_0884 (1000x750).jpg

The 2 halves getting ready for fastening together, They aren't quite sitting right yet as I need to drill a couple of holes in the running plate for the feed pipes but once I've got it all to sit right I'll glue everything down. Probably make it less easy to paint but as it'll be all black, shouldn't be a problem.

attachicon.gifIMG_0887 (1000x750).jpgattachicon.gifIMG_0888 (1000x750).jpg

Just realised the front buffer beam needs altering too!

More soon

JF

Very nice indeed, Jon.

• 2 months later...

Hope you've not given up on this one Jon, it was starting to come together really nicely!

No, not given up on it, it's just been gently elbowed to one side by a load of signal jobs and an Ex LNW coal tank! It's sat in a box in a cupboard just above my workybench.

Cheers

JF

• 1 month later...
Guest Isambarduk

Jon has just pointed me at this thread (from his post in IoW Terriers http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/102631-isle-of-wight-terriers/page-2&do=findComment&comment=2011933 ) can't imagine how I missed - well, yes I can; I find it very difficult (if not down right confusing) to know where to look for new and interesting threads on 7mm and industrial loco modelling.  How do others keep a handle on it, please?

Anyway, I wish I'd been in on this from the start as it would have been a soothing diversion from the packing up to move from Mid Bedfordshire to Mid Wales!  Anyway, thank you for the complements re my Ixion conversion to GCR Humber. I have no railway of my own but Humber has enjoyed running powers on a number of railways belonging to friends, including SHLR of AJon30, here.

"I tried to strip the unit down further but it was too well glued and I didn’t want to risk breaking it. .... I'd worked out which bits come apart but I just couldn't persuade the glue to let go."

A spell in the freezer before you start to 'bother' it will do the trick; the glue on the HC is not so tough but better stuff was used on the Ixion Fowler but it still surrenders after a spell (half an hour) in the freezer.

"... this made removal of the chunk (is it for the reverser lever?)"

Yes, see here:

GCR278Reverser.jpg

Keep going, Jon, this is a really interesting project!

David