North British Railway 6 Wheel Coaches.

I said progress would be slow, but there was a chance last Saturday morning to move the build on a little more. 

The lower foot board presented an interesting challenge as the hangers are etched scale size and are very thin. I did wonder about using some more substantial wire, but decided to give it a go. Removing the parts and cleaning them up was tricky, and I was pleased that Jamie had included a couple of spares on the etch. Once the parts were prepared I folded the bottom ends, and then strengthened the right angle joint with some 188 solder. This gave the hangers a more solid feel. The same was used to attach them to the solebars. I then used 145 solder to attach the lower foot board. I was quite surprised how square and rigid the construction turned out to be.

post-25847-0-96020900-1449174452.jpg

For the photograph I have mounted it on the wheel sets we used for the original test etch to check heights and clearances. I anticipate a couple more morning sessions will get me to the point where I am looking to source the detailing parts from Peter Mullen at 62C once they are available.

On the subject of things NBR, I had been looking at the second hand stands at O gauge shows hoping against hope that one of the NB Models 7mm kit for the Scott or Glen would turn up as I was under the impression they were discontinued. I was therefore delighted and surprised when Norman Blackburn's website re appeared again recently, and I released the kits could still be ordered. The result has been a joint family present and a D30 Scott is on its way to me for Christmas! 

post-25847-0-96020900-1449174452.jpg

Edited by Shez
  • Like 5

• 4 months later...
  • RMweb Premium

Unfortunately no ones posted any more pictures of build progress recently though I still have a stock of all the different coach etches, 3rd, brake 3rd, 1st and saloon if anyone wants any. I also have some brake 3rd's that didn't have the final few mods and are available at a considerable discount.  One or two have been sold to people who are either going to modify them or ue tham as a generic 6 wheeler on a 'paddy' type train.

Jamie

Apologies  for the lack of progress postings. 

I have finished the brass work on both the First and Brake Third, and have started the Third. However, due to work and family issues progress has been very slow. I have also not had time to photograph the work but will do so in the coming weeks.

I have also been waiting for the castings to become available from Peter Mullen at 62C Models. If you check out Peters website these are now available. He can supply the gas lamps and door vents and westinghouse pipes. He also has the styrene roofs available for the coaches. Buffer shanks are being cast.

Just search 62C Models or use the link on the GOG website.

I was hoping to source some castings from ALBA models, but they are temporarily closed for family reasons.

Therefore for axle boxes I am getting HR/ LBSCR ones from Laurie Griffen. These are a fairly good match given the Stroudly/Drummond influence on NBR coaches in this period. He can also supply springs. His LNWR door handles are also a fair match. However grab handles in the correct size are proving a problem. Might have to do these from scratch - ideas anyone?

Have to go now as facing impending OFSTED inspection this week.  Last one - voluntary redundancy beckons at the end of this final term. 

• Like 2

Apologies  for the lack of progress postings. 

I have finished the brass work on both the First and Brake Third, and have started the Third. However, due to work and family issues progress has been very slow. I have also not had time to photograph the work but will do so in the coming weeks.

I have also been waiting for the castings to become available from Peter Mullen at 62C Models. If you check out Peters website these are now available. He can supply the gas lamps and door vents and westinghouse pipes. He also has the styrene roofs available for the coaches. Buffer shanks are being cast.

Just search 62C Models or use the link on the GOG website.

I was hoping to source some castings from ALBA models, but they are temporarily closed for family reasons.

Therefore for axle boxes I am getting HR/ LBSCR ones from Laurie Griffen. These are a fairly good match given the Stroudly/Drummond influence on NBR coaches in this period. He can also supply springs. His LNWR door handles are also a fair match. However grab handles in the correct size are proving a problem. Might have to do these from scratch - ideas anyone?

Have to go now as facing impending OFSTED inspection this week.  Last one - voluntary redundancy beckons at the end of this final term. 

Hi Shez,

Hope your last OFSTED inpection went well!

Back to railway matters now, I think that the only way to source 7mm carriage (or commode) handles if going to be a lost wax caster; after a master is made, the handle itself has a couple of 'quarter circle' ends backwards from the vertical part, the ends of these 'quarter circles' having the fixing where it is fixed to the coach/fish van etc.  - a good photo there is a 6 wheel all 3rd coach on the web that can be enlarged quite well theat shows the vertical portion seems to be round, with 'flats' top and bottom and a single fixing screw top & bottom.

I am sure you know the photo, but here is a link

https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:NBR_3rd_Class_Carriage.jpg

For 4mm scale when Ian can source his white metal parts is easier as wire flattened in the centre portion may suffice, but then the top and bottom will need two (or three) bends in them, a bit more than the Billl Bedford gadget will do - perhaps a piece of plasticard and 'annealed' wire will help there.

Peter Tatlow's LNER Wagon (Vol2) book on P 58 has a photo of the 6 wheel Fish Vans that shows the hable quite clearly, it MAY be simplified for NPCS stock, the sketch has been done from this.a 

Here is a very rough sketch of the commode handle

Yours Peter.

post-8192-0-94769900-1460904436.jpg

Edited by PeterR
  • Like 1

Thank y

Hi Shez,

Hope your last OFSTED inpection went well!

Back to railway matters now, I think that the only way to source 7mm carriage (or commode) handles if going to be a lost wax caster; after a master is made, the handle itself has a couple of 'quarter circle' ends backwards from the vertical part, the ends of these 'quarter circles' having the fixing where it is fixed to the coach/fish van etc.  - a good photo there is a 6 wheel all 3rd coach on the web that can be enlarged quite well theat shows the vertical portion seems to be round, with 'flats' top and bottom and a single fixing screw top & bottom.

I am sure you know the photo, but here is a link

https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:NBR_3rd_Class_Carriage.jpg

For 4mm scale when Ian can source his white metal parts is easier as wire flattened in the centre portion may suffice, but then the top and bottom will need two (or three) bends in them, a bit more than the Billl Bedford gadget will do - perhaps a piece of plasticard and 'annealed' wire will help there.

Peter Tatlow's LNER Wagon (Vol2) book on P 58 has a photo of the 6 wheel Fish Vans that shows the hable quite clearly, it MAY be simplified for NPCS stock, the sketch has been done from this.a 

Here is a very rough sketch of the commode handle

Yours Peter.

Thank you very much for the information Peter.

I will investigate possibilities once time permits.

In the meantime castings from Peter Mullen and Laurie Griffen have arrived - so hope for more progress soon.

If you are east of Manchester you can't be too far from me - I am near Holmfirth.

Mark

• 2 weeks later...

got my order in jamie says"   they will be  on the way soon    . OMG what have i done  the 2mm FS  group will ostracize me  :O    now i have to sort out the shopping list for the other bits n bobs i will need

just arrived at my lovely partners place she said  you have a big package arrived i now cannot wait to  get home back to  london where all my  tools are watch this space

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Have now made a start on one of the brake thirds Please bear in mind this is my 1st attempt at an etched brass coach in 7mm 

note  to self  get some more  lead free solder and do  not mix lead free and resin cored.

another note to self   clear up glass fibre  brush  bits   carefully  they   hurt 

good points  the parts are nicely etched and fit well

sorry about the pic quality i am not a photographer 

post-9739-0-66992600-1463347053_thumb.jpg

post-9739-0-66590300-1463347098_thumb.jpg

post-9739-0-41318800-1463347122_thumb.jpg

Edited by nigelb
  • Like 3

no progress for a bit due to  1 lack of  glass fibre refills  and 2  too many lil  glass fibre bits in my  finger lol  and 3 have ordered  some solder paste to see if that will make it easier to   fit the infills .

ohh  and 4 and 5  now have the panel layout  and the building guide  lol

progress will resume after next weekend

Edited by nigelb

• RMweb Premium

Hi Nigel,

I fitted my infill's the following way.

1.   Tinned each infill on the rear face.

2.    Tin the central area of the side around the square holes.

3.  Then hold the infill by holding them on with clothes pegs then turning the side upside down and putting plenty of liquid flux trough the square holes and then sweating them together with a 40w iron.  

That seemed to work well with very little solder on the outside face.  Just burn marks from the tinning that soon cleaned off.

Good luck.

Jamie

Hi Jamie  thats how i have been doing mine   just want to  see if the solder paste  makes it easier  and in clean up both faces   pen the two bits together  and  have used  gas  iron  to  heat   the back up

i  have used solder paste on some of my  2mm  etched kits and it works well.

ohhh  and where can i get the   springs from  I have looked on several sites  and  no  joy 

• RMweb Premium

Hi Jamie  thats how i have been doing mine   just want to  see if the solder paste  makes it easier  and in clean up both faces   pen the two bits together  and  have used  gas  iron  to  heat   the back up

ohhh  and where can i get the   springs from  I have looked on several sites  and  no  joy 

I think that Mark has used Slaters Midland 6 wheeler springs but I will check.

Jamie

• RMweb Premium

I've spent the afternoon wrestling with the artwork for the Holmes Bogie Coaches that I'm doing for Pete Mullen of 62C models.   It's coming along.  I thought it was OK until I tried to offer a side up to the underframe and found the side was 8mm too short.  Much puzzling later I realised that I hadn't allowed for some extra length in the 1st class compartments and one or two other minor things so had to stretch the side.  Split it into 4 pieces then parked them the correct distance apart and re drew it.  Then had to do all the colouring in again but now it looks right. 

Jamie

• Like 1

I am using the 8 foot springs from Laurie Griffen. ( 36 030 in the catalogue) I would think that any similar spring would be fine - but they will need a bit of fettling and trimming to make them look the part, and a few bits adding for the J hangers on the central one.Nothing specifically NBR available.

I am also using his axle boxes, The LBSCR Ones 36 - 031 - as I said in an earlier post Holmes coaches were pretty much based on earlier Drummond designs which were very much Stroudley influenced. (Roxy Mouldings may have some alternatives as I know they do LBSC stuff.

His LNWR T door handles are also a good match  36 038

For gas lamps, brake pipes and door ventilators look on Peter Mullens 62C site.

Hope this helps 

Mark

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Just to let NBR coach modellers that the bogie coaches that I'm drawing for Pete are coming on. I've nearly finished the bodywork etches for the first which is a Holmes 7'6" composite from 1885 with luggage compartment at one end. The sides, ends, compartment partitions and underframe are done. I'm now working on the solebar overlays and steps and step brackets. Then it's the bogie to do. I'm going to do the etches for Peter then he will market them as complete kits with the requisite castings.

The bogies will be the Holmes 8' ones and the plan is to make them available separately. I'm planning to put some slots in the underframe to accept a bogie bearer that comes with the bogie, however I might put the bearer in with the underframe, which . be on it's own sheet so that it can be used for other 49' 7'6" coaches.

We ae hoping to have the test etch ready for Telford and to get the body test built in time for Linlithgow. I won't have much chance to show people it at Telford as I'll be exhibiting Lancaster Green Ayre, though I will have my stock of 6 wheel etches at both Doncaster (I'll be on the Bring and Buy) and Telford.

Jamie

• Like 1

got home last night   so could not try the solder paste  . but tonight  with a new glass fibre brush  and a modicum of cleaning i managed  this  and a lot quicker and easier than using  normal solder.

sorry again for the pic quality think i may try a coar of grey primer   to seeif that helps the pic quality

next trial is to add the solebar to the chassis

post-9739-0-55692500-1464732941_thumb.jpg

post-9739-0-89488400-1464732969_thumb.jpg

• Like 3

Hi Nigel,

Nice work - the sides look good, and very even - I'm impressed!

A suggestion re the photos - could you support the camera in some way - on a tripod or a solid support (to stop camera shake when the shutter is used) and possibly take your photos outside - weather permitting!

That will give you a shorter shutter opening as there would be more light that way?

Yours Peter.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Just a reminder, if anyone wants any of these etches I will have the remaining stock at Doncaster on Saturday.  I'm out of 1st's and only have one saloon and thee each of the 3rds and brake 3rds.  I also still have a couple of the gash etches which are available at cost price.   Peter Mullen still has a few in stock.  After they've gone I would need to have some more confirmed orders before getting another batch done.

Jamie

Hi Jamie I will probably want some more at some time in the future   but  ATM its a case of sorting out all the ancillary bits to go with them . this weekends     nicking wooden pegs  from the GF's  peg bag 

I am having trouble sourcing the springs for some reason !!!  i am wondering if it might be worth doing  them through shapeways ??

will need to  learn how to use  sketchup 1st lol

• RMweb Premium

Hi Jamie I will probably want some more at some time in the future   but  ATM its a case of sorting out all the ancillary bits to go with them . this weekends     nicking wooden pegs  from the GF's  peg bag 

I am having trouble sourcing the springs for some reason !!!  i am wondering if it might be worth doing  them through shapeways ??

will need to  learn how to use  sketchup 1st lol

That sounds like a good idea Nigel but what other folks have done is use the first 3D printed ones as masters for having them cast in resin, white metal or brass.   It might be worth having a word with Peter Mullen at 62C as he may have a source.  Slaters do springs for their Midland 6 wheelers which are vey close and available as a sprue separately.   I'll have  a look at a set of instructions that I've got and see if I can get a reference number.

Jamie

• 2 weeks later...