NEW Realtrack DMU

charliepetty

• RMweb Gold

Realtrack are doing a new DMU!

Charlie put me down for a couple in two different liveries whenever they are ready to come out! I know it's going to be a fantastic model and I predict it being model of the year when it does.

Thanks

Mark

Charlie,

I'll have a green SYP and a green with speed wiskers of whatever it is,

UNLESS, it's something I've already got!  :locomotive:

The new Realtrack DMU is NOT a Class 142.

This following quote is from Class 142 upscaled to OO Gauge on the Dapol section of RMweb:

"Class 142!!  We are not announcing one (REALTRACK) but our 144 Chassis is designed with tooling inserts to do the 142 in both versions with different seats. We did this originally to save the cost of doing another chassis, so in the scheme of things we only have a bodyshell to do!  We thought that sensible.    Charlie"

Samuel.

I read that as in, Realtrack are not announcing one - yet. They are not announcing one. They could still be working on it. They could still announce it later and not contradict what they have said there. 

Nothing that you have quoted says they are or are not working on a OO 142. Nor does it say that they cant announce it later. It doesnt deny, nor confirm anything. It just says that at present they are not announcing one. Which is what we all already knew. 

The plot thickens... 

I think it will either be a Class 140,141,142,150,151,153,154,155,156,158,159,165,166,169,170,171,175,180 or 185. 

Personal evaluation of potential Models (basically lots of waffle, probably not worth reading but posted for that just in case, conclusions at end may be worth a scan.)

Class 140

Prototype. Lack of regions to run them would have less market potential. 1 possible livery so everything has to be made on one product. Unlikely. 1/10

Class 141

Lots of liveries so could have a high market potential. Compared to a 143 or 144; a 141 looks very unpleasant. There are no friendly edges to the front of the train. To me, the wedged front looks very threatening, so this unit would not have a good reaction to impulse buy. 3/10

Class 142

Hornby made one, though is not up to modern standards in any aspect. Hornby have not made this model for years... A 142 still has quite an unfriendly impulse buy face though. Vast amount of liveries for buyers. 6/10

Class 150

Done by Bachmann to a very decent standard. 0/10

Class 151

In my opinion class 151s are a very beautiful looking locomotive. It was a prototype and only every in 1 livery. However, it did run occasionally in 2 car form which would create some variation. I could see this model being made really nicely by a commision made to order manufacturer. 4/10

Class 153

Dony by Hornby to a very decent standard. 0/10

Class 154

Basically a class 150. I am sure Bachmann could make one of these easily out of their 150 mouldings. 1/10

Class 155

Done by Hornby; ages ago to a non-modern standard. However, 155s don't have the largest amount of liveries to go in. 5/10

Class 156

Done by Hornby; again to a non-modern standard. I can see this being redone soon due to its vast array of liveries and wide network coverage. Personally, I think Bachmann are more likely to make it than realtrack. 7/10

Class 158

Done by Bachmann to a semi-modern standard. I believe Bachmann are (though taking ages) making a new moulding for this. 2/10

Class 159

Basically a 158. 2/10

Class 165

Similar to a 166; has few liveries and network reach. This would mainly be financially viable with use of slides with a Class 166 so I reckon it has the same chance as below, 3/10.

Class 166

Done by Bachmann to a semi-modern standard. This could have a re-tooling but is acceptable for another 5-10 years; we are awaiting 2 releases of this model at present. 3/10.

Class 168

Basically a class 170 apart from 168/0. For 168/0 I reckon it is too niche to be made as a model. It has some historic importance, however, has only ever ran with 1 TOC in 2 liveries. I can see this being made in 30-60 years time. It may be easy to adapt this into a class 170 tooling using slides. Bachmann already have a class 170 however it is only semi-modern. I could see the whole turbostar series being re-done in the above time scale along with c357 with slides but not in the mean time. 3/10

Class 170

Bachmann make a semi-modern one. It seems to satisfy most so unlikely to be done soon. 3/10

Class 171

Basically the same as class 170. 3/10.

Class 172

Class 172s have a very bespoke window arrangement for modern trains. The cab front of a /0 and /1 is practically the same as a 170. A /2 and /3 have the same front as many electrostars. I could see all turbostars and electrostars being made at some point in the future, though the finance clever way is to do it all with slides due to common shapes shared with the trains in these series. I think this would involve some heavy investment but there is no doubt electrostars would be popular, and no reason why a 172 or 170-remake coulden't be the start of that type of range. If realtrack models are being quite because they are planning this, it would make allot of sense. I question the investment real track would be able to make to make this possible. 7/10 assuming it leads onto electrostars.

Class 175

Large reach for northern and welsh. Good(ish) range of liveries. 7/10.

Class 180

High speed train within the western and ECML regions. Lots of existing companies make trains which would easily ran along side a class 180. Since the 142 realtrack have done is a very slow unit compared to a 180 it is hard for me to see this leap. 6/10

Class 185

Large northern reach, limited liveries. 6/10

Of course it could be a 1st gen DMU however I am not too familiar with their operations!

In terms of modern trains I think the most likely models realtrack could make would be a 156, 175, 180 or 185. Whatever they make I just wish they'd hurry up and announce it!

If I put this topic onto ignore would some kind chap please send me a PM to let me know when there's something worth reading?

This model, whatever it is, will be ready when it's ready. It is fair to say that whatever it is will become very well known very quickly. Undoubtedly it will be of very high quality too; Charles, bless his little cotton socks, has a track record of designing very good quality stuff going right back to the early days of DC Kits.

However, this marketing practice of "we know something but won't say what it is" approach used by several manufacturers lately is silly. If there is something to publish then do so and give updates every so often. If there isn't anything to publish or it is commercially sensitive then far better to not say anything at all. People are going to buy this or not buy it based upon reasons other than 9 pages of speculation.

• Like 1

Can I just add that if anyone wants to slavver/froth/wishlist, then there is a suggestions for future models thread on Realtracks section, on RmWeb, rather than use this thread which is obviously for said new DMU.

Cheers

Andy

I agree a little bit but you do get some cracking suggestions and thoughts both on here and at shows, its called market research!   Something will be announced in November and if the China plays ball then on sale in the spring.

Charlie

• Like 2

Charlie

I didn't think there was much market research going on here as it appeared you decided quite a while back what you were doing.

I'm not knocking you for that at all and in fact have great respect for what you have achieved so far- not just with the 143 but the previous generation of kits too. Along with a couple of other manufacturers you have set the target quite a bit higher than we were used to before.

Don't worry- when the time comes a mere mention anywhere on RMW and it will go around all the threads faster than wildfire.

Mick

Did I just see a post from you that was suddenly deleted? It looked like you. If it was you, is that a fact or just speculation? It would certainly be a good option... After the work I STARTED on both of those classes (old models) it would be about right that someone comes along with an all singing, all dancing RTR version.

Will it be ready for April 1st........?

:jester:

Cheers,

Mick

• RMweb Premium

Mick

Did I just see a post from you that was suddenly deleted? It looked like you. If it was you, is that a fact or just speculation? It would certainly be a good option... After the work I STARTED on both of those classes (old models) it would be about right that someone comes along with an all singing, all dancing RTR version.

Not me Guv. Just the one post above.

Patiently waiting.

Cheers,

Mick

OK, Sorry Mick.

Come on then, spill the beans someone. If it wasn't Mick then who was it.

It was only there for a split second as I posted my comment and then it was gone faster than a 156 and a 142 being dragged by a prototype HST.

Not me Guv. Just the one post above.

Patiently waiting.

Cheers,

Mick

EDIT: It has just occurred to me that I've got as bad as those I have been criticising for getting involved in second guessing. Time to report myself to the "whinging baskets" thread.

• RMweb Premium

Everyone knows it's a class 126 Swindon Ayrshire Unit. Very widespread, well anywhere between Glasgow and Stranraer , to me it's an obvious choice, what's all the fuss?

I for one would buy the entire batch. Grew up in Ayr and they were the first trains I travelled on ;)

Everyone knows it's a class 126 Swindon Ayrshire Unit. Very widespread, well anywhere between Glasgow and Stranraer , to me it's an obvious choice, what's all the fuss?

No it's not, it's a, it's a..... small off duty czechoslovakian traffic warden :jester:

(Red Dwarf XI out soon...)