Rapido/Locomotion Models GNR Stirling Single

• RMweb Premium
On 08/06/2020 at 20:53, OliverBytham said:

Happily, it’s arrived safe, sound, and almost perfect. One of the front safety chains was – predictably – detached, but found stuck to the polystyrene block in the packaging. I’d been forewarned by a Single owner at my local model railway club that these were a bugbear. Are the more substantial replacement chains still available?

As with many others, my loco arrived with one of the finer, original chains detatched and in two pieces.  The heavier duty replacements included in the box turned out not to be required, because I managed to reassemble and refit the original.  To date, no more problems with the chains have been encountered (I hope I'm not tempting fate there!) and they do look a lot nicer than the heavier duty items. 

I admit it took a bit of time, a steady hand and holding my breath while I was manipulating the chain links to reassemble and refit the chain.  Also, I wouldn't have wanted to put unwanted pressure on my time by trying to do it in a two minute slot before I was supposed to be doing something else.  It is however very definitely achievable with basic skills, fine tools and a good portion of patience - the latter you've already shown you have already.

On 09/06/2020 at 10:00, gr.king said:

Patience rewarded.

And it will be again, if you manage to stick with the original chains.

Pete T.

• RMweb Premium
12 minutes ago, Roddy Angus said:

Does anyone know who does a sound chip for the Stirling single?  I bought the DC version and am thinking about adding a sound chip but don't know who does one.

Thanks

Roddy

Hi Roddy,

When my Stirling Single arrived from Locomotion it was DCC ready, rather than DCC sound fitted (by the label on the box and by what I'd ordered, it should have had DCC sound).  A quick email to Simon at Rapido Repairs (rapidorepairs@shmodelmaking.co.uk, also rapidorepairsuk on RMweb) and he rectified the situation straight away by popping a sound decoder in the post to me, so certainly he had stock of sound decoders at the time.  I don't know how many Stirling Single sound decoders Simon still has in stock, if any, or if he can sell one, or whether he has to retain all the stock he has for warranties or spares replacements, but it might be worth contacting him and asking if he has one you can buy.  It'd be a good first move in your search, anyway.

Pete T.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
2 hours ago, Methuselah said:

What can it manage to pull....?

One runs on a layout where I am a regular operator. It can easily handle 8 bogie coaches up a 1:100 incline. No wheel slip no struggling and smoooth.

Cheers,

David

• Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

• 4 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

Had a high pitch whine from my fathers single. Contacted Simon their UK agent and superb instructions that meant it was easy to avoid damage. 
Top support and straight back to Dad :) 

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

• 1 year later...
  • RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, woodenhead said:

As long as it's not BR Green, BR blue, GNER or Virgin liveries....

Good grief don't give them ideas... ...intercity is fine though?

• Funny 3

13 hours ago, Butler Henderson said:

Change of tender would open a whole lot of sales

On the other hand, the original proposal was for two different tenders. One was abandoned due to lack of demand. If they did do the thing again, it would need a black wire instead of a red one behind the driving wheel. Very visible when admiring the spokes flickering past the slots in the splasher of the driving wheel.

I was one who ordered the other tender version as I wanted it as it was running about in the 1970s/early '80s.

Cancelled due to lack of demand.

I did think about trying to get a kit tender. But thought trying to get it to match would be extremely difficult.

If they did do more, how about one with the dome and filled in splashers as well?

https://www.flickr.com/photos/whatsthatpicture/4728954020/

As an aside, look at the pile of coal in the October 1985 photograph here. Many will say such things aren't authentic....

https://preservedbritishsteamlocomotives.com/6292-2/

Jason

• 3 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium
On 17/05/2022 at 12:39, E100 said:

I wonder if there's a chance of a re-run of these as per the APT-E...

Wednesday a second hand one (Mint condition) was sold in a couple of hours, I think for around £385. TTC is selling one for £499...

I really would like one, but not at that price. So one vote in favour of a re-run!

• Agree 2

• RMweb Gold

I would suspect that if there were to be a second run that the price would be approaching or even way past £300. 

I ordered 2 from the first run, the first was something like £179/199 as I ordered on day one, the second I ordered about 6 or 9 months later and the price had already risen to £200+. The project was started 7 years ago and production costs have risen substantially since then so any further run will reflect that.

I remember talking to Rapido Bill at Warley and he described just how complex a model it was to make, so even if some costs have been amortised it would still be expensive. 

• Agree 2
  • Informative/Useful 1

I spoke with one of the Rapido Canada guys at the Great British Train Show in Ontario last month. They are "working on it." I'm not sure what their agreement with Locomotion is, so a future release may be limited to other GNR numbers or fictional liveries.

• Informative/Useful 1