Scratchbuilding a SECR Aeolus 2-4-0t in N

Greetings,

I missed the start of the 'build a loco challenge' and normally post my projects on another nameless 'forum of N gauge', sorry, so thought I'd share on here.

Just to be awkward I model the SECR, LBSCR and LSWR in N gauge (and the GER). This does involve quite a bit of kit/scratch building as there isn't a lot available RTR!

Taking advantage of some time off work after a hernia op I've been putting together a number of locos over the last few weeks. I started the SECR Aeolus last week so will spread the updates over the next few days. Apologies to those who have already seen this on the 'other forum'.

The make or break on most N scratch building projects is sourcing or building a suitable chassis. Building to 2mm finescale would probably be easier as often pointed out to me at my local 2mm SA meetings.

The chassis for the Aeolus is a bit of a mongrel. The chassis block is from a Farish 94xx, the leading wheel is a large Farish bogie wheel and the drivers are Farish outside crank 08 wheels. I used the 2 non geared ones and added the gear from the donor 94xx. The width of the cranks do tend to threaten platforms so I took 1mm out of them to bring the rods in. As a power source I have used a Nigel Lawton 8mm motor and Farish worm which I have used in numerous locos. I have rerouted the pickups under the chassis as the Farish one normally brings one up in front of the worm.

post-6986-0-04754000-1430822120_thumb.jpg

The body is to be constructed from brass with boiler fittings from N Brass.

Gareth

• Like 3

Greetings,

Alright, not quite a day but here's the basic body parts soldered together. Singed fingers drew a close to proceedings. That's the trouble with N in brass especially with no handy locating tabs found on etches. It's what happens first, the solder flows into the joint or the pain gets too much!

post-6986-0-90792500-1430829556_thumb.jpg

The boiler is brass tube whilst everything else is off cuts of brass sheet from completed etched kits or courtesy of Allan at Worsley Works. If you ever see him at a show he has bags of brass strips left over from etches he gives away :good:

Gareth

• Like 8

Greetings,

A quick update after a few more bits have been soldered on at the expense of my fingers! Whilst recovering I've been snapping drill bits creating the various holes required for pipe work and hand rails. Luckily I had a set of spare footsteps from an old etched kit which were suitable. Boiler fittings are modified N Brass.

post-6986-0-72298500-1430912187_thumb.jpg

Gareth

Edited by Gareth Collier
  • Like 5

interesting where did you get the plan ?

Hi Nick,

I gave up trying to find a plan but I have numerous photos with one a very good side on shot. I knew wheel diameter/base etc so strained the brain cell with the aid of a calculator to work out the rest of the dimensions. At the end of the day it is N which is already a compromise so as long as it is not glaringly wrong I'm happy and hopefully not many people will have a clue what the loco is anyway so won't be able to catch me out!

Gareth

p.s. don't tell anyone!

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Fascinating Gareth. I've been looking at your locos in the N Gauge Society magazine and it's nice to see how they come together.

I know exactly what you mean about singed fingers, I've been working on a Letterkenny & Burtonport extension loco in Nn3 which is about the same size as your 2-4-0.  The problem with brass is the fast heat transfer through the metal.  Nickel-silver is much better in this regard.  It's easier to hold the parts while soldering with nickel components as they take longer to become painfully hot. I made up a few German Nm kits which are nickel/silver etchings and they were delightfully easy to solder.

The N Brass range is a really useful source of fittings.  My LBER loco uses the dome, safety valve, chimney and smokebox door for a C class.

Mark

Wow... I was impressed by the P class, but that tiny 0-4-0 can't be more than an inch long in N, surely? After hours of sweating over single-colour lining transfers in 4mm, I'm thinking I might be better off looking into printing my own decals if the results can be that good!

Not bad Gareth, not bad at all.  Have you though about entering them in competitions?  I think the N gauge society runs some.

Guy (Wealden 2mm) 

What a WAG your are Guy............. At the next meeting I'll show you how to solder 2 frames together to shape them then get them apart again afterwards :jester:

Gareth

Meooooow!   I would be grateful for any help I can get Gareth - I have however made one of Richards Choppers in the last month so forgive me if I feel a little bit smug :sungum:

Are you going to add some pick ups to the front wheels?

Guy

Meooooow!   I would be grateful for any help I can get Gareth - I have however made one of Richards Choppers in the last month so forgive me if I feel a little bit smug :sungum:

Are you going to add some pick ups to the front wheels?

Guy

But was that the 3.5mm or 2mm one?

Initially I retained the original pick up strips but they caused too much drag on the front wheels so they wouldn't turn so as 313 and the Coffee Pot run fine and this has a bigger wheelbase I chopped them off! Go on then, tell me if I built it to 2mm standards the split frame would have resulted in pick up from all wheels, you know you want to :P

Gareth

What a good idea I think you should go 2mm, all you would have to do is rebuild your room full of locos and stock and rip up and relay your layout - simples!   I expect it all to be completed for the next meeting.   I in the meantime will cut out some frames.

I know your pretty committed to N - won't someone within the 2mm community turn you some n gauge rims for 2mm wheel centres - almost like a charitable gesture.    

The chopper Is closer to 1/100 (at 160% 2mm), but yes the larger one it will be of great use on my LBSCR branchline.   Its one of the rare all chrome choppers.

DSCF6056.jpg
  • Like 3

Tah Gareth, Richard seemed impressed with it and I think it would be a good group exercise for the next meeting.  I don't know how well it will carry over to 1:152 when the etch is reduced - I would like to keep the detail from the multiple etches as its a rather nice design.  

Just needs a nice coat of dulux to hide all of that detail :senile:

Now back to your thread... no more hijacking

Guy

Morning,

Everything that needs soldering has been with the remaining detail succumbing to glue. Tool boxes and springs on the footplate have been omitted at the moment to aid painting later as they can get in the way. It has been given a coat of primer and there are no obvious holes, gaps etc,so time to move on to designing the transfers. I usually prime in grey as it shows flaws up better but I've gone down the white route as I've only clear transfer paper to hand and it needs a white background.

post-6986-0-85713200-1431419708_thumb.jpg

Gareth

• Like 9

Hi,

Aeolus class number 532 has been released by the paint shop and is just about finished. One or two bits need fettling, the quartering is a fraction out as it has a slight wobble. Once done it can start earning its keep by entering traffic.

post-6986-0-81481500-1432035366_thumb.jpg

post-6986-0-51914800-1432035401_thumb.jpg

Don't you just hate these cruel enlargements, the whole loco is only 61mm over the buffers.

Gareth

• Like 12
  • Craftsmanship/clever 2

I think the wobble has gone; the only wobble now is my dodgy camera work!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LnIhp_E04po

You Tubes changes on the 20/4 seem to have stopped me embedding the video so a link will have to do.
I've tried all the suggestions on the help page to sort it but nothing seems to work.
Gareth

Finally sussed how to imbed the video:

Edited by Gareth Collier
  • Like 1

Top work gareth - it runs very well especially considering it has pick up from 2 axles only.  Are you going to enter it in the n gauge society competitions - it would win hands down.

Guy

Cheers Guy although a compliment from you is a little unsettling :jester:  .  As for the competition I doubt it, it's a 700 mile round trip this year.

Gareth

I quite agree Gareth complementing you doesn't sit very well with me either.   I promise I will get back to picking apart any of you future endeavors at the June meeting 

Guy

PS: Don't think I've mentioned this before but I think it would look a lot better with 2mm wheels  :stinker: