End of the spur, is no more

After months of inactivity, i'm still no further on, other than I've settled on a track plan (I think)

post-13979-0-53511800-1432923627_thumb.jpg

i'm not going to do a blow by blow of the build (don't want to up set the red dot police etc,and to be honest life to short) having been donated 5 large code 75!!!!!!! points and half a box of track(from some one who gone British O gauge) it's based around them, size will be 12'x14"(the space where helm was) a modern switching layout, no run round,1990ish.

i'm going to try car card & way bills, hence the little boxes on the plan, these will probably be built into the front of the boards.

Nothing started yet, other than a pile of wood acclimatizing in my cellar, will up date when I get a little further down the line!

feel free to comment on the track plan, there may still be a bit of tweaking to do!!!

Ray

• Like 5

Ray;

Certainly an interesting track plan and sure looks like a lot of industrial spurs I've seen (and worked back in the day) where you have spurs in both directions, but no runaround on the spur. My only question is: Do cars for Industry D (Bright Spark) spot inside the building only, or do some of them spot on what would be the lead track (where I see the red dots)? So I'm wondering if cars do spot on the lead, it looks like you don't have enough room to be able to work Industry C (brewery). Other than that, I like the overall look of this plan.

Ed

Ray;

Do cars for Industry D (Bright Spark) spot inside the building only, or do some of them spot on what would be the lead track (where I see the red dots)? So I'm wondering if cars do spot on the lead, it looks like you don't have enough room to be able to work Industry C (brewery). Other than that, I like the overall look of this plan.

Ed

That was my immediate impression, too! One of those right-hand industries (D & E) needs to be clear in order to switch industry C.

Would a diamond be used in reality, or more likely would the spur to C not come directly off the inbound track (from what I assume is hidden staging behind D) ? :scratchhead:

ED -the cars at D will be outside, those dot are car spots, there is 38" between the toe of the point (for C) and the first spot at D max length train will be 2 50"box cars (15") 1 covered hopper(8") plus a GP (8"),if the last spot has to be pulled all 3 +loco will fit, the last car is then dropped on the end of the siding for industry A, the in bound is picked up from the centre siding  arrival/departures and the reverse happens(that's the plan!!!).

post-13979-0-73122800-1432964388_thumb.jpg

Jordon- that was my original plan(and still maybe), but having talked to Mr Gilbert at Derby, he brought up a valid point, that the main player that most people want to see (loco) when switching C will be in the fiddle yard (behind D) most of the time, i can live with that, but could the paying punters.!!

you do see diamond crossing in switching areas, this was my only way around my problem, unless you can see another way, things aren't set in stone,there's still needs a little bit of tweaking!

Thanks for your feed back

Ray

• Like 1

after ED had brought up a valid point about switching industry C ,i had to set it out to make sure it fitted, phew!!,5" to spare (as the bishop said to the actress)

post-13979-0-71921200-1433153890_thumb.jpg

even with cushioned under framed box cars and a B30-7 there's still room if I want to switch with a SD, All those boxes are where my industries will be (so far) may need some tanks for unloading my tank cars!

i'll play around with the track,  just to make sure it's all going to work out as planned!

Ray

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

Looks interesting Jack. Just one point about the brewery. When I photographed the yard at Coors at Golden there seemed to be 3 types of traffic, Grain in covered hoppers, coal in open hoppers and loaded boxcars for the product. It could be that the despatch warehouse is served by a different spur to the incoming raw materials.

Jamie

• RMweb Premium

Jamie

I was thinking of a small micro brewery, more than one of the big boys!!! (is Coors beer!!!!)

thanks for the feed back

Ray

It may not be the best alcoholic beverage but it was very thirst quenching for me after I'd cycled from Fort Collins to Golden one day on the trip where my avatar was taken.

As to IPA be careful, I ended up proposing to my wife after several pints of the stuff.

Jamie

As to IPA be careful, I ended up proposing to my wife after several pints of the stuff.

that's one of the reasons I haven't drunk cider in the last 30 years, ouch!!!sorry dear!!!!! (must remind myself to fix that bolt on the back of the door)

Ray

had an unexpected day of today, so guess what happened, you guest it, now't!, well made a start on the baseboards really, the mojo's slowly starting to flow with the help of a couple of IPA'S

post-13979-0-36290800-1433270165_thumb.jpg

post-13979-0-29434600-1433270175_thumb.jpg

post-13979-0-63219800-1433270185_thumb.jpg

there's also been a change of plan, the layout which I had start(there something wrong with it and can't put my finger on it)has been move up into the loft where HELM was,59th has been move up the wall and the "end of the spur" has been placed underneath.

may get backs to the layout on this weekend(though have been warned by SWMBO that she wants a trip of somewhere, Saturday!!!, looking behind me, ha ha fixed the bolt!!!)

my next big decision is, to cork or not to cork ,that is the question!!!!!!

Ray

post-13979-0-03988800-1433702775_thumb.jpg

Had a productive Sunday, all back boards fitted, lighting pelmets done and all corked up, just needs sealed up with paint now, then on to track laying!!!!!!

post-13979-0-62047400-1433703180_thumb.jpgpost-13979-0-11769400-1433703209_thumb.jpg

there may be a change to the track plan to try and accommodate my tank cars, the distribution centre, will swap place with the brewery so I can change the points which will give me a longer transflow siding, with the last two spot being for tank cars and hopefully this will work!!

Ray

• Like 6

well , i'm on a roll, got up early today and primed the boards where needed, dry when I got home this afternoon, track cut and laid out, even got a coat of paint on the points, at this rate i'll have it wired next week!!

post-13979-0-97377300-1433792456_thumb.jpgpost-13979-0-80636400-1433792466_thumb.jpg

I found a bit of a old kit in my" don't throw it away it might come in handy box " which would do for the freight car repair shop, i'm slowly warming to Nicks idea, but would they have a car repair shop in a industrial area?

post-13979-0-78301100-1433792478_thumb.jpgpost-13979-0-38198500-1433792491_thumb.jpg

fiddle yard end with test train

post-13979-0-67160200-1433792501_thumb.jpg

here's a couple of the boys who helped me this afternoon!!

Ray

• Like 5