End of the spur, is no more

Had a spare afternoon today,so decided to make use of the time (surprising how much motivation the offer of a barrel of beer gives you!) and built my grain unloading points

i used peco code 83 inspection pits as the base, added diamond plate and mesh grilles, built up around with plasticard, which will be painted concrete colour, i also added inspection trough for the pipe lie to the silos

post-13979-0-02621300-1440527259_thumb.jpg

post-13979-0-04637400-1440527278_thumb.jpg

post-13979-0-13764700-1440527296_thumb.jpg

still loads more to do

Ray

• Like 6

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

post-13979-0-57882600-1447257197_thumb.jpg

Progress is really slow with exhibition and other distractions,but going in the right direction, fitted my led strip lights (happy with these)heard a lot of people are having trouble with them not sticking so, I gave my timber a coat of contact adhesive first when dry fitted the lights, so far so good.

Next job done, painted my sky (it' so so) also made my roller doors and fitted them, as you can see by the photo been testing with my 45T as to what it can haul, thinking of this and a 70T & 44T (ex HELM) as plant switchers, but this may change.

I really need to finish the building, so I can finish the ground work, next job.

Ray

• Like 4

attachicon.gifDSCF0204.JPG

Progress is really slow with exhibition and other distractions,but going in the right direction, fitted my led strip lights (happy with these)heard a lot of people are having trouble with them not sticking so, I gave my timber a coat of contact adhesive first when dry fitted the lights, so far so good.

Next job done, painted my sky (it' so so) also made my roller doors and fitted them, as you can see by the photo been testing with my 45T as to what it can haul, thinking of this and a 70T & 44T (ex HELM) as plant switchers, but this may change.

I really need to finish the building, so I can finish the ground work, next job.

Ray

Looks great!. How do you use the roller doors?

The doors are made from texture paper which has been glued to stiffer card and painted, i get this from my local craft shop 85p a sheet, i use to use evergreen plastic sheet, but at £4.50+ a sheet it's getting a bit pricey for doors.

Don't under estimate craft shops, they sell lots of things we can use, go in with a open creative mind, you'll be surprised.

Ray

Edited by long island jack

post-13979-0-05663900-1447347415_thumb.jpg

Early finish to day, so on with a bit of modelling, surprising what a strip of plastic, some black paint and a couple of finger fulls of filler will do, (compared with the previous photo)

post-13979-0-22417100-1447347647_thumb.jpg

post-13979-0-43299700-1447347663_thumb.jpg

post-13979-0-39990000-1447347678_thumb.jpg

Those down spouts, just seem to finish the building off, a few signs and a dirty wash and were nearly there!!

post-13979-0-18759300-1447347786_thumb.jpg

I've taken a picture of the layout with the room lights off to give you a idea of how bright those LED strips are.

That's it for a week now, on hols next week then Wakefield next weekend

Ray

Edited by long island jack
  • Like 7

Jack

The cage is metal mesh of the back of a wall vent, used to stop insects getting in, had it for years, (like the Airfix footbridge),supports is plastic strip, super glued on top, the old footbridge looks a bit chunky i'm hoping it doesn't look to bad once painted, i'm thinking now I should have painted it before adding the mesh, lesson learnt!

Ray,

I've been very inspired by "End of spur". I'm about to draft a thread on my current (mis)planning and asking for advice but I wanted to ask something about your industry. Is it based on any prototype? In any event how did you get, to my inexperienced US outline, the structuring looking authentic? I've struggled with sourcing usable information this side of the pond. I've got bits and pieces from various sources but I'm worried about ending up with an unauthentic mishmash.

Thanks,

Steve.

• RMweb Gold

Jack

The cage is metal mesh of the back of a wall vent, used to stop insects getting in, had it for years, (like the Airfix footbridge),supports is plastic strip, super glued on top, the old footbridge looks a bit chunky i'm hoping it doesn't look to bad once painted, i'm thinking now I should have painted it before adding the mesh, lesson learnt!

Ray

Are you doing a door where the walkway goes into the building. There may be one already but cant see it in your photo.

Ian

Steve

the buildings are all freelance, i spent hours looking at this flicker site before I started the build.

https://www.flickr.com/groups/1408456@N24/pool/page1

Goggle maps is a help, i've still a lot to do, my next big job is roof detail, hoping to get some bits and bobs at Wakefield this weekend 20-22 Nov.

Ian

The bridge has moved since I took that picture (couldn't uncouple freight cars)the doors in place, car park laid, just bridge colour to sort, then it will be all stop. to work on project x (for BIF)

Ray

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...