End of the spur, is no more

• RMweb Premium

As far as S2's go, you cant beat these and especially at this price for a Loksound fitted version at the moment, its a steal - http://www.modeljunction.info/estore/product_info.php?products_id=42415

I bought one from a NA outlet when they first came out 2 or 3 years ago.

The slow speed control is the best ive seen for a long time and the sound is only bettered by a Suttons Loco works Class 24.

• Like 1

Agree the Atlas S2 are good and the loksound 539T is cracking, but i've a tight budget, and got 2 new Bachmann sound value S2 for under £175 the pair, a few CV tweaks and they crawl like Atlas, they may not pull as much, but for my train lengths,( 4 cars) there more than up to the job.

• Like 1

I've decided I need a replacement Alco switcher as my only S series running at the moment is a P2K S1, it runs well but the weathering was done many years ago so know looks not right (well thats my excuse). I was going to get a non sound Atlas but I'm changing my mind now I've your comments regarding your Bachmann S2's. What brand of airpipe have you used, nice angle cock detail their.

W124bob

here's a video of one of the S2's,at speed step 1,the piece of wood is 12" long x 70sec = 0.85mph,both box cars are over NMRA weight 10oz

the only issue I've had is those push on wire connectors on the circuit board, they still need a good run in, then re-lubed, while doing this i'm going to solder all wire connection.

air hose are Cal scale #190-607

Ray

Edited by long island jack
  • Like 5

• 4 weeks later...

Had a night of the Hospital run, first in weeks, used the time wisely ,first tried the layout in the car to see if it all fits, :locomotive: , next take the layout around to a friends man cave to see if it all goes together,(first time on new legs) :locomotive:  :declare: , then we had a play, :senile:

post-13979-0-61569300-1464209260_thumb.jpg

Layout has been passed fit for exhibition, just a couple of little jobs to finish, what am I going to do now!!,bet you can guess :scratchhead:

Ray

• Like 7

Great set of pics, Ray. Especially like the last one as it features my first ever VW Golf (Mk3 1992) I've just taken delivery of my 6th Golf, I rather like 'em.

For a while they were called VW Rabbit in the US.   I have the same model on New Westbrook

post-7898-0-11788800-1464803536_thumb.jpg

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Agree the Atlas S2 are good and the loksound 539T is cracking, but i've a tight budget, and got 2 new Bachmann sound value S2 for under £175 the pair, a few CV tweaks and they crawl like Atlas, they may not pull as much, but for my train lengths,( 4 cars) there more than up to the job.

Ray...any chance you remember what the CV tweaks are that you mention here????

Cheers

Gene

Try these Gene

CV 2=1,3=60,4=25,209=70,210=6,212=200

Both my S2's ran different, had to play with cv 209,210 to match them, hope these help

Ray

Thanks Ray...on the road at the moment...when I get home next weekend I'll try them out and let you know.

Cheers

Gene

Try these Gene

CV 2=1,3=60,4=25,209=70,210=6,212=200

I think that's my usual order at my local Chinese Take-away.... :jester:

Speed-matching is one thing (amongst many!) I've not mastered at all with DCC. Lists like the above do show (to me) what a faff it seems, & such things as 'speed curve graphs' make me shudder!! - whereas at one time on old analogue 12vDC I knew that at least any of my Atlas locos could lash up with each other, just so long as the China-drive ones had been re-wired in series.

....ah, such innocent, carefree days... :rolleyes: ;)