On Swindon 123s workbench.

• RMweb Premium

thanks for that mark.

i must admit it didnt occur to me that both kitchens would be in use, just the fact that there was provision for a buffet as well as full meals!

also the fact that 1st class had an 'at seat' service in the FOs - i take it then the RUs own accomodation would be used for the 2nd class passengers?

funnily enough, all of this makes me think of the start of 'get carter', where mr. micklewhite is seated in a mk2a FK then moves into an RUO/RFO for dinner on his presumably deltic-hauled train 'home' :-)

• 2 months later...

Hi Paul.

It was nice to talk DMU's with you yesterday - the 123 looks well on Wibdenshaw and the 124 is looking awesome.

Having chatted about the 108 chassis, I wonder if you might post a picture of the TBS chassis and of the DMC chassis, (or PM me with some pictures?). I'd like to have a go myself and now I've sourced a TS, its game on.

Cheers.

Sean.

Hi Paul.

It was nice to talk DMU's with you yesterday - the 123 looks well on Wibdenshaw and the 124 is looking awesome.

Having chatted about the 108 chassis, I wonder if you might post a picture of the TBS chassis and of the DMC chassis, (or PM me with some pictures?). I'd like to have a go myself and now I've sourced a TS, its game on.

Cheers.

Sean.

Sean,

I have just checked through my photo's and I haven't any of the 108 TBS conversion, (or the 101 TBS conversion either) showing the chassis modifications for fitting the Hornby motor bogie. I shall have to go and take some which involves going and digging out the required vehicles from the Wibdenshaw storage sidings so please bare with me. With regards to the DMC chassis this is the unpowered one that comes with the 3 car set, only you require two, one for each end vehicle. In theory this leaves you with too many powered DMS vehicles spare but as one of the bodies donated its brake section to the TBS this wasn't a major problem. I have been aquiring bodies and chassis off e-Bay where required to match up with any spare bodies/chassis I have to make up formations so things don't go to waste.

Glad you liked the 124. Its taken a while now to get it to the nearly finished stage but I am pleased with the result so far. A couple of minor construction issues to sort out that have come to light as the finishing touches have started to be added but nothing to cause me concern.

Glad to be of some inspiration.

Paul J.

• 1 month later...

Well after a long gap whilst other things happened I am nearly at the completion stage in the "Great Trans-Pennine saga. I had hoped to have it completed at Wigan last Dec but only got to 90% complete as those who might have seen it will testify. However it was running for a couple of hours at the end of each day to make sure there where no problems. It is now at the 99% complete stage with only a few details to be added and the interiors painted and is now at the Shenston Road workshops for weathering where the photo's below where taken. At the moment I have not built the Trailer second for the unit and so at Southampton next weekend I will borrow the one out of the 123, or maybe run mixed 123/4 sets, both scenarios happened on BR. Depends on what MR Wibble would like to see running. The 124 trailer second as well as the Buffet First are now a summer project to be finished in time for Warley 2011.

post-7146-0-57432500-1295809524_thumb.jpg

post-7146-0-98777500-1295809569_thumb.jpg

post-7146-0-28016700-1295809632_thumb.jpg

Sorry there isn't much depth of field. Camara only a simple pocket digi one.

Paul J.

Never mind the depth of field, it's great to see it with the paint on and in running condition. Lovely modelling. I look forward to catching up with it and Wibdenshaw next week.

Adam

After a weekends weathering at the Shenston Road workshops the first 4 cars of the 124 are now ready for an appearence at Southampton.

post-7146-0-35498400-1295963683_thumb.jpg

post-7146-0-39446000-1295963642_thumb.jpg

post-7146-0-20233900-1295963662_thumb.jpg

Since these photo's have been taken the banana shape of the leading Driving Motor Composite has been attended to and the 0000 headcode modified with slightly smaller lettering, ( I thought the original was just too large). The door and grab handles have been added and the interiors painted.

Now to get on with the remaining Trailer Second and Buffet First which I hope will not be as long in the making as the first four vehicles.

Paul J

Guest jim s-w

Nice work Paul

Looking at it now I wonder if the windows are now the same size and position as a 101? Just pondering if you could use stretched 101s for similar. Not that I would ever build one.

Where is Wibdenshaw going? Stafford?

Cheers

Jim

Since these photo's have been taken the banana shape of the leading Driving Motor Composite has been attended to...

Paul J

Lovely model Paul - captures the charismatic looks of the prototype beautifully. I'd love to know what you did to sort out the banana shape (btw that's a slightly harsh description - it's no worse than the concave belly-sag that the full-size GW150-liveried class 117 DMS developed towards the end) - was it just a question of reseating the floor and roof, or did you need to break it apart and rebuild it?

David

Hi Paul,

Your 124 is looking great, particularly the cabs, i bet cutting the glazing for the windscreens was fun to do ! :D Did you use the old trick of using plastic bottle material or was it by some other devious means ? Gluing the windscreen pieces in, must have been a bit of a challenge too.

Very well done.

Cheers, Brian.

Nice work Paul

Where is Wibdenshaw going? Stafford?

Cheers

Jim

Wibdenshaw will be at the Southampton exhibition on the 29th & 30th of January 2011........ and will be at the Stafford show in February 2012.

The unit is looking good Paul - looking forward to seeing it in revenue earning service at the weekend.

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium

After a weekends weathering at the Shenston Road workshops the first 4 cars of the 124 are now ready for an appearence at Southampton.

Since these photo's have been taken the banana shape of the leading Driving Motor Composite has been attended to and the 0000 headcode modified with slightly smaller lettering, ( I thought the original was just too large). The door and grab handles have been added and the interiors painted.

Now to get on with the remaining Trailer Second and Buffet First which I hope will not be as long in the making as the first four vehicles.

Paul J

Paul

How did you sort out the bent DMC? I have several Bachmann Mark 1's like this...

Fantastic model by the way. I remember trips to Donnie to see the 124 units on the South Trans-Pennine near the end in the very early 80s. Sadly lost all the pictures except one, though!

Cheers

Jim

Sorry I've been a bit slow in replying to some of the questions a few of you have asked but here goes, better late than never.

In answer to jim s-w, the window size and position are completely different to the 101. The trailer second is almost identicle to a TSO but with shallower windows, as have all the vehicles. The motor brake seconds are similar to SK's except the corridor is on the opposite side in relation to the toilets on the 124 and 2 compartments have been sacrificed to make the brake compartment and an additional door added to the corridor side similar to a CK. The Driving motor composites are the real pains in the neck as the first class end is nothing like anything else and so has to be nearly scratch built. The trailer buffet first has some common features to an FK, which is what I shall be using, with a few modified window positions, to make up a 6 car set this summer.

Both DavidB & Jim T asked how I got rid of the bow in the DMC. Luckily part of the problem was that I hadn't fitted the roof properly to the sides so that cured some of the bow. As all the cars lost the trussing from underneath that stops a certain amount of bowing I was still left with some bow. On the motor brake seconds the interiors added strength to the vehicles although where the motor was in the brake I had to add additional strengthening added to ensure that end of the vehicle didn't droop. The Driving motor composites where another matter as I had to make up completely new interiors that where not quite as rigid as the original ones. However careful use of the original screw fixing on the underframe which ensures the flooe clamps the sides down onto the underframe and glueing up the steel weight on the underframe to add more regidity has very nearly eliminated the bow.

Brian Kirby asked how I did the curved glazing on the driving cab ends. Being a bit of a magpie I had kept the clear plastic packaging the coaches came in. These had provided me with glazing for the cab windows on the Class 123 and so it was to prove with the Trans-pennine. Hopefully the accompanying photo's will help explain the method.

Once a suitable piece of potential glazing with roughly the right curvature had been found a piece larger than the actual hole was cut out. Then stick a piece of masking tape to the inside of the prospective piece of glazing.

post-7146-0-04123200-1297649054_thumb.jpg

Hold the the glazing as close as possible against the hole and from the inside drawas close as possible, with pen or pencil, around the opening. You should then have something that looks like this.

post-7146-0-43788500-1297649063_thumb.jpg

Cut away the unwanted bits of glazing untill you get close to but not up to the marking on the masking tape, as so.

post-7146-0-96149900-1297649105_thumb.jpg

At this point make any adjustment to the curvature of the glazing to match the hole it has to fit in. The Bachmann packaging stuff seems very forgiving in this respect and will take quite a bit of abuse. When you are happy that the curvature looks right start to cut the glazing back closer to the marks. This is the time consuming bit as it pays to do it "little and often" and I found a 2 sided flexible nail file, with a course and fine side best as it left a better edge. With care and patience you should end up with something like this.

post-7146-0-92800500-1297649122_thumb.jpg

Any further tweaking of the curvature of the glazing can be done at this stage and with the masking tape taken off it should look like this.

post-7146-0-33803300-1297649136_thumb.jpg

For glue I used a Rocket superglue that was odourles and more important didn't leave any marks on clear plastic/perspex. It was a lot more expensive than the ordinary stuff but it did as it said on the tin, to quote an advert. It was also thin and ran around the window edges easily but where there was a few bigger gaps, on both the cab and the bodyside windows I used Microscale Kristal Klear window glue.

Hope the above gives you some ideas.

Paul J.

• RMweb Premium

Hi Paul

Thank you very much for taking the time to provide such detailed answers and sharing some great ideas!

Cheers

David

Yes, excellent thank you Paul. I'll have a play with my banana shaped Mark 1s when I get home.

Cheers

Jim

• 2 years later...

Paul,

You shouldn't have worried too much about the overlarge headcode numbers, it was not unusual to see TP wit odd blinds with at some having the slightly larger and bolder blinds that were fitted in the two character headcodes.  

Al Taylor

attachicon.gifShenston Rd 124-o.jpg

attachicon.gifShenston Rd 124-j.jpg

attachicon.gifShenston Rd 124-k.jpg

Paul J

Archived