Kingsway tunnel

A couple of weeks ago in London I was walking along Kingsway for about the first time in 30 years and was pleasantly surprised to see the exit ramp and tram tracks from the Kingsway tunnel still there ohmy.gif . What's more there was a guided group of people walking out of it (some art exhibition down there or something, didn't have the time to have a look sad.gif ).

Even in the 60s my dad was pointing this out as an unlikely remnant of the London tram system.

post-6669-12571014355051_thumb.jpg

A couple of weeks ago in London I was walking along Kingsway for about the first time in 30 years and was pleasantly surprised to see the exit ramp and tram tracks from the Kingsway tunnel still there. What's more there was a guided group of people walking out of it (some art exhibition down there or something, didn't have the time to have a look.

Even in the 60s my dad was pointing this out as an unlikely remnant of the London tram system.

Still quite intact actually

On the slope down from Southampton Row, the tunnel curves to the left in the distance

post-841-12571023209469_thumb.jpg

The southbound side of Kingsway station with a staircase coming down to the platform

post-841-12571023534634_thumb.jpg

Northbound side with some cast iron? columns and a Union Street LT roundel when the station was used for some filming

post-841-12571026634638_thumb.jpg

Did I go for the exhibiton or to poke around a disused part of London's transport system? A bit of both actually.

Lots more info and pics of what is left here.

Incidentally the Cross-River Tram, proposed over the years but most recently canned by Boris, would have run on the surface along Kingsway.

I've always thought it was a shame that the London Transport Museum couldn't somehow incorporate probably the two largest pieces of disused underground infrastructure, Kingsway Tunnel and the Aldwych branch, both of which are a stone's throw from Covent Garden.

Fascinating to see shots down below. While I appreciate there might have been difficulties in connection at the southern end, I felt that running the Cross River Tram along the streets - with all the congestion issue - when there was a perfectly good double deck tram subway under the same streets - was deranged

Fascinating to see shots down below. While I appreciate there might have been difficulties in connection at the southern end, I felt that running the Cross River Tram along the streets - with all the congestion issue - when there was a perfectly good double deck tram subway under the same streets - was deranged

Joined up thinking from Civil Servants, Politicians, or Developers??, please direct me to Utopia!!!

Archived