HST PROTOTYPE

hi can anyone help

i am making a model of the hst prototype and i am trying to find plans of it in OO as i am looking to try and mask off and paint the grills on the side as i am not sure if i can get the grills for at as genisis only now do the cabs so full drawings of the loco's would be a great help for me as i am making them from production "Hornby" HST Power Cars!!

happy new year to all and many thanks

jim coates

I did this once, many years ago and used a vacum formed front end using a wooden former.

I did read, about 5 years ago in the Howes of Oxford catalogue that a company made the power cars in kit form from white metal. I'm sure some one like Silver Fox do a kit too. I'll have a look on the net and see if I can find it.....

No usable plans but a comprehensive photo collection ( and other Derby research locos and stock) here

http://www.traintesting.com/HST_prototype.htm

including the power cars in service running with blue/grey stock.

I bought the whole body from Genesis. Has the advantage of weight as mine will now pull anything.

Some close ups taken at York I used when building mine.

Hope it helps

Mike Wiltshire

post-9992-0-29840300-1294049077_thumb.jpg

post-9992-0-42705400-1294049115_thumb.jpg

post-9992-0-93985200-1294049158_thumb.jpg

post-9992-0-06065100-1294049200_thumb.jpg

post-9992-0-24491800-1294049228_thumb.jpg

• RMweb Premium

Mike's third picture, showing the inner end of the power car, shows what appears to be a small window fitted with a wiper which luxury might only be thought necessary if there was a (potential) need to drive from that end. I have no idea whether driving controls were ever fitted in that position or - if they were - whether they were ever used.

It is however common practice in countries where single-ended locomotives are the norm such as Australia to have driving controls and a small window at the "slab end" for shunting moves or to enable the locomotive to be moved with the driver at the leading end when there is no turning facility. This practice may have been copied to the class 252 power cars.

Archived