S.A.C Martin's Entry - "Museum"

S.A.C Martin

This thread is going to form my portal back to my modelling blog, here on RMweb where you'll be able to see my 2010 Challenge layout take shape.

I've already made a decision on era, genre, and overall feel of the layout - now the question is...

Just how big is 2010 square inches? :huh:

I know I could make a section of my Lake Railway idea for this challenge, but the problem is working out which part of it, geographically, would suit the challenge and give me the best fun to build.

I've a few ideas - I could build one of the halts or stations around the lake and use real photographs as the backscene for the model. Perhaps using a bridge or tunnel as an entrance/exit from the fiddle yard around the back of the layout. We'll see.

Until next time - I'll post updates here, linking back to the blog here.

• 2 weeks later...

I've had an idea - leaving the 0-16.5 railway for another day and as a personal project, I've decided that I'd like to do this in 00 gauge.

It's the Cadbury Brothers Ltd, Bourneville. I accept I won't be able to fit in a lot, but I could set up a shunting plank which incorporates the large warehouse seen here.

And as for rolling stock - probably all have to be scratch built or bashed (lovely!) such as this unusual but intriguing looking Avonside side-tank locomotive seen here.

Overall I am liking the idea of having the warehouse as central to the plank, with the opportunity of arranging some short rakes of trucks and generally indulging in an inglenook style puzzle set around a real location.

Any thoughts?

It's the Cadbury Brothers Ltd, Bourneville. I accept I won't be able to fit in a lot, but I could set up a shunting plank which incorporates the large warehouse seen here.

And as for rolling stock - probably all have to be scratch built or bashed (lovely!) such as this unusual but intriguing looking Avonside side-tank locomotive seen here.

What - this one, you mean?

post-6742-1259681962008_thumb.jpg

OK, so mine's No.1, and yours is No.6, but I think they're the same sort of beast.

I suggest you get yourself down to Tyseley with a tape-measure!

• 2 weeks later...

That's the beast Steve! :) I think a similar kit is available which would be handy for chassis and valve gear, but the tanks and cab would need much modification. Either way I am leaning very much in the direction of a small shunting plank based on the bourneville factory :)

Something certainly different and intriuging.

And yes - Tysley, here I come! :D

Martin, i'd quite like to see one of those little Avonside's in 00. Looking at pics of the loco, I'm trying to figure out what could be used as a chassis. The Bachy Pery chassis could be adapted for all the work below the boiler.

The great (debatable) thing about the Cadbury factory is that you CAN get away with ridiculously tight corners. Of course you can straighten out the corners and open up loco possiblities. But that could mean a different company altogether. I see you found the miac.org.uk website with some fab pics.

There are some pics of the exchange sidings here: http://www.photobydjnorton.com/CadburyRailway.html

Of course, Google is your friend.

Martin, i'd quite like to see one of those little Avonside's in 00. Looking at pics of the loco, I'm trying to figure out what could be used as a chassis. The Bachy Pery chassis could be adapted for all the work below the boiler.

The great (debatable) thing about the Cadbury factory is that you CAN get away with ridiculously tight corners. Of course you can straighten out the corners and open up loco possiblities. But that could mean a different company altogether. I see you found the miac.org.uk website with some fab pics.

There are some pics of the exchange sidings here: http://www.photobydjnorton.com/CadburyRailway.html

Of course, Google is your friend.

I did instantly think Bachmann percy - but the wheelbase is much shorter than that, almost to the size of the little L&Y Pug to scale, if I'm honest. I could use the Bachmann Percy to make the Peckett however, which would be a nice kitbash and detailing exercise.

I do want to make one of those side tank engines, and the diesel. The liveries are wonderfully deep in colour and general setup, so some practise in painting too...

Overall, I think my mind is being made up on this. :)

Have you thought about some of the High Level kits as a basis for conversion? They might be a bit easier to modify than a RTR, and have an excellent chassis and gearbox.

The L&Y pug chassis kit with different cylinders and wheels. Looking at the High Level website, the cylinders from the RTR model are reused <_< . Its swings and roundabouts.

I did instantly think Bachmann percy - but the wheelbase is much shorter than that, almost to the size of the little L&Y Pug to scale, if I'm honest. I could use the Bachmann Percy to make the Peckett however, which would be a nice kitbash and detailing exercise.

I do want to make one of those side tank engines...

The bottom half of this little Fleischmann engine looks pretty similar - might it be a suitable RTR basis for the chassis?

BTW, you may have to wait until Easter to get into Tyseley - they tend to only open to the public a few times a year, unless you can use your contacts...

• 2 weeks later...

Have you thought about some of the High Level kits as a basis for conversion? They might be a bit easier to modify than a RTR, and have an excellent chassis and gearbox.

I have taken a look - funds allowing I may well buy one to experiment with :)

The L&Y pug chassis kit with different cylinders and wheels. Looking at the High Level website, the cylinders from the RTR model are reused <_< . Its swings and roundabouts.

True.

The bottom half of this little Fleischmann engine looks pretty similar - might it be a suitable RTR basis for the chassis?

BTW, you may have to wait until Easter to get into Tyseley - they tend to only open to the public a few times a year, unless you can use your contacts...

That is a decent match, but at ??63, is three times the price I can get a Bachmann Percy for... :O

I'll keep it in mind, but I need to keep costs down as much as possible as the layout also needs to be built...

As for tysley...contacts? I wish! Easter it is then. Gives me time to plan the layout at any rate :)

Those cylinders look closer to the Avonside than the L&Y pug. At ??63 I would expect to be able to use a bit more than the chassis.

I don't know - in a few of my kitbashes I've very little remaining from the original model aside from bits of the body, maybe a tender here and there :lol: It's all about the end result.

Thank you chaps for your insights, and my apologies for not getting back to you sooner.

Merry Xmas everyone! :)

• 2 weeks later...

Looking at the pics of the diesel here, and noticing some similarity to the BR class 06 in chassis (but not bodyshell), suddenly reminded me of a few bodyshells I have spare:

post-1656-12624525914657_thumb.jpg

post-1656-12624526091047_thumb.jpg

post-1656-12624526353375_thumb.jpg

The idea being that I buy a Hornby 06 loco...and mate it with this to provide a cheap alternative to a kit. Basically, the top half of the bodyshell of the Hornby 06 - the cab, bonnet, will be cut away, and this Bachmann one (modified a little further to have the front windows I want) and a few other alterations, will be stuck onto the running plate of the Hornby 06 - after painting, who knows...

Worth a go? :huh:

• 4 weeks later...

Chaps, just to say thank you for indulging me in this research. I plan on keeping the bits and pieces I've found, and storing them for making this layout for another day. I have kept my written plans too, so it's inevitable really that I'll be building this at some point.

However I've come round to the idea that I'm overcomplicating matters when I should be simplifying them. To that end, I've started work on another, similar set of ideas and proposals, and will reveal all in dure course. I have to make sure that this latest "wheeze" is good enough before starting any modelling, however it seems to pull together a lot of ideas I've been mulling over in the last year and brings them togther. We'll see how it all comes together! :D

• 2 weeks later...

TobyWharf1-trackplanresized.jpg

Okay - trams, LNER look, dirty docks, a ship of some sort, and something of a puzzle for operational entertainment with a few vans and some points. I can re-use some of the techniques I've been using on Copley Hill and possibly add a few inventions of my own.

I'm starting to get really geared up for this one - I could still model a few diesels as dockyard shunters which would add to the interest in the rolling stock of the thing.

• 3 months later...

I have found this really intriguing website recently which has given me much food for thought on the overall look and functionality of the proposed entry:

Shunting Puzzle Site

I have an idea of the look, and feel, and have even bought a few things towards building "Toby Wharf" in the summer, though I am still working on a trackplan at present. I do like the look of some of these ideas very much :)

6 months to go from the end of this month...!

Until next time.

• 2 months later...

Oh dear, another change of heart. With a difference mind, as wood has been cut and I will be take photos in the coming weeks to show my progress.

I had a good long think about my plans, and concluded that what was really lacking from the whole concept - both the first, initial Cadburys layout, to the Toby Wharf plan - was an "x-factor" which other layout challenges have and mine severely lacks.

Therefore I decided to completely change my plans, and that includes changing my scale! It will now be 0n30, and involve British built steam locomotives, working abroad. The title is a clue to the final product, of which I have taken several hundred photographs of the prototype in order to fully realize my new concept and entry.

For the moment, I will leave you with this photograph of the donor locomotive I purchased - its chassis is going to power my locomotive for the layout. When completed, it will appropriately be numbered "5".

post-1656-128180833126_thumb.jpg

• 1 month later...

Sadly I've been unable to finish my layout in time for the competition, so I am respectfully withdrawing. :(

However I'm still going to finish this project as a means of testing out and developing my modeling skills further :) So any further progress will be in my blog area.

Thanks for reading, and commenting on, this thread, everyone.

Archived