GWR Buffalo (1076 class) in 2FS
2FS GWR Bufallo
Drawing on the experience of my first 2mm scale engine (my 1854 class saddle tank), I decided that this one will be fully scratch built (the predecessor being a "conversion" from a Farish 57xx - I say "conversion" because in reality there isn't a huge amount left of the Farish model!). One of the main things that bothers me about the previous model is that there is no rivet detail on the saddle tank where the plates of steel were joined together. It looks OK from normal viewing distances, but I know it's missing - I could add some using Archer's rivet transfers I suppose, but as I said in my blog when I was building the model there are other compromises so eventually I will probably give it a complete new body. That said, it did what I hoped it would do - to allow me to prove to myself that I could model in 2mm Finescale, and more importantly get a locomotive to work in the scale.
However, I've digressed. So on to the "Buffalo"...
As mentioned above, for this model I intend to put a representation of the rivets on both the saddle and the outside frames. To this end, the first thing I needed was a rivet press!! So, armed with various pieces of steel I made myself one!
This has been made so that I can locate it in the lathe chuck, and use the cross slide and top slide (locked at 90 degrees to the cross slide) to allow evenly spaced rivets to be pressed into some sheet material.
So today, I have done just that. A piece of 0.005" brass was cut roughly to size and mounted on the lathe and a good many rivets pressed in at a 0.020" separation. Once all of the rivets were pressed, the brass was finished to size and rolled to the profile of the saddle - I had previously fretted out a pair of formers of the correct profile for the front and rear of the saddle (one will actually be the smokebox front eventually) - and the whole lot soldered up. Below are a couple of photos complete with the requisite coin of the realm to illustrate the size.
Now I've managed to prove that my riveter works, and that I can form the saddle the next stage will be to begin work on the chassis. For this I will utilise the same method as I did for my Metro Tank, and will mill up a solid brass chassis albeit retaining the standard 2mm scale split axle methodology of construction.