Crewe Cut - early examples

wirey33

I have a spare Bachmann 47834 body shell with the "Crewe Cut" modification to the lower cab and I'm wondering what to do with it.

When did this variation start appearing?

Does anyone have a list of engines that were affected?

Was it something that was applied to 47/8 and 47/7 conversions or did any 47/4's get snipped?

Thanks

I assume you are referring to the cut away buffer beam

I first noted them in the mid 1980s on Class 47/4 locos, these locos in turn became 47/7 (later) and 47/8

The modifications continued

Initially I assumed it was due to accident damage repair, with it being easier to simple remove the buffer beam surrounding

In almost every case both ends are modified, but from memory there are one or two that had just one end modified

I then assumed it was to give better access to the buffer beam, although no members of staff I asked about it knew why, and some weren't even aware of it!

It is best to search the Class 47 website to see if the loco matches your requirements

I have a spare Bachmann 47834 body shell with the "Crewe Cut" modification to the lower cab and I'm wondering what to do with it.

When did this variation start appearing?

Does anyone have a list of engines that were affected?

Was it something that was applied to 47/8 and 47/7 conversions or did any 47/4's get snipped?

Thanks

It is dealt with in some detail in Class 47 50 Years of Locomotive History. The Class 47 Preservation Project have some copies left as it is almost out of print now. It was all part of the draught-proofing mods, the cutting away of the buffer beam skirt etc.

Simon

I'm pretty sure I've seen photos of 47/4's which were treated in RES livery, some possibly just before renumbering into the 47/7 number sequence. 47490 and 47500 look like examples ... 47642 is another

I dont remember ever seeing it on the earlier Parcels sector red and grey

47589 looks like it had it at one end and not the other, presumably during accident damage repair

Some of the freight ones were similarly treated

Hi all,

47458 was one of the first with cut away bufferbeams, carrying both large logo blue and parcels red.

Regards

Vin

Looks like gained its Crewe-cut after an accident in October 1984 while it was in BR Blue even before gaining the large logo blue ... but it was only cut at one end

There's a pretty short list of 47/4's that got Trainload liveries, so Flickr, SmugMug etc. would be your best calling place...

47430 (Construction)
47445 (Distribution)
47594 (Metals)
47599 (Metals)
47588 (Distribution)
47600 (Distribution)

47605 (Distribution)
47615 (No Sector)

• 2 weeks later...

Well, I decided to go for 47452 as it was a non-life extended example i.e not a 47/8 or 47/7 which don't suit my modeling era.

That does mean a change of boiler port arrangement and the filling of a head ode box at one end but I'll have something pretty unique by the time I'm finished.

Some modeling pictures to follow post-Christmas.

Well, I decided to go for 47452 as it was a non-life extended example i.e not a 47/8 or 47/7 which don't suit my modeling era.

That does mean a change of boiler port arrangement and the filling of a head ode box at one end but I'll have something pretty unique by the time I'm finished.

Some modeling pictures to follow post-Christmas.

Don't forget 47452 had a smaller size number 2 on both sides compared to the 4745 bit of the number in large logo livery....

Archived