Coleshill (Forge Mills ) layout and stock

Hi

Jut wanted to say I love the layout and its detail. seeing our old house in model format is wonderful, please could you direct me to the line to the Warwick site .

I have attached 2 more photos of the house to assist your remodeling.    

The house is still there all be it changed slightly with more houses around it.

post-6665-0-11774300-1508582876_thumb.jpg

Mark as per your pm the Warwickshire railways site is easily found, a gent called Mike Musson collates the material. He has found numerous photos of images I thought never to see. In particular the sidings. Best wishes Brian

• 2 weeks later...

Please excuse me, indulging in a bit of nostalgia. I have just been looking at Marks photographs again.The fencing and trellis on top marking the boundary between the house and a piece of waste ground alongside. I lived in a end terrace house on the opposite side of the main road from this land and Marks home. There was ..still is a walkway/ driveway leading down to the footbridge from coleshill Road..the main St Peters Church opposite its entrance. The driveway had large bushes which became a den for us children, the waste land between these and the then new block of shops...whatever our childhood imaginations created...battlefields..cycle dirt tracks...anyway..that trellis...it's amazing how a simple item in a photo can transport you back in time...how many times I played next to that fence. On a last note, the picture showing what appear to be three outbuildings .we had three similiar buildings in my home, built I believe at the same time as the station, and station masters house. The ones at our home were an outside toilet...the only one for the house...a coal bunker, and lastly a general shed. My younger brother was able to climb out of my bedroom window onto the coal bunker roof. He then shimmied across the roofs and then down into the garden....memories...anyway back to the modelling ..motorising the second Garratt chassis....

Edited by 46256
  • Like 1

The second high level gearbox and mashima motor added to the second Garratt chassis. It is currently being run in wil photo in due course..The prospect of four sets of motion to be constructed, well after the Stephenson version it shouldn't be too onerous...

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

My posts have been sparse recently not least having reduced modelling time available for various reasons. I have however been able to arrange a visit by Mark (stationmasterWO) to view the layout. I hope he is not disappointed. He will see however the discrepancies between what was his former house and my model of it. In my defence when built I  did not have the reference material now available to me.

The Garratt...ok it would be easy to post only positive records of modelling sessions. I think every modeller knows that even well tried techniques can sometimes not succeed. The failures down to errors etc. In the case of my work on the Garratt , I wanted to replicate the twin motor chassis design. I have built the first motorised chassis, the body unit then linked it to what was a very free running second chassis, albeit without motor. I have since added the excellent motor and gearbox. So far so good....trying today to get the complete ensemble around my layout. To no avail. It derailed at certain corners.

It is all to do with pivot points, weighting, and the fact a second now powered unit is effectively pushing against the central body unit, which transfers this into the front unit, which can cause a detail. The irony it is my pride only making me have a dual motor model .

It worked fine last week, onechassis motorised, the second a freewheeling dummy. An apt description for yours truly it seems. I am therefore going to remove the second motor etc.  There is So much other work to do on it ,besides getting bogged down in articulation weigh/t issues.

Edited by 46256
  • Like 2

At last have been working on the Garratt. It has all been about balancing the three units that make up this loco. I have discarded the second motor gearbox....will be used for another project...The second unpowered chassis with the round coal bunker is very free running. I have just added the comet cylinders, yet to seat them properly. The bunker is yet to be fixed permanently. The front pony truck kept derailing...and yes on checking the back to backs were slightly out. I also found a lot of black "crud" on the tyres . A loft environment is very dusty in any event. I also use my spray paints up here as well . I am sure this combination plus oil residue makes up this substance. Whilst it looks minor in 4mm scale I'm sure a build up on small pony wheels is enough to cause derailments.post-23587-0-13744700-1511532225_thumb.jpegAnyway crud removed, back to backs now in order, result a nicely running loco.

Edited by 46256
  • Like 4

John/ Mark

Great to see your posts...it's strange if you buy a kit...and I've gone through the same modelling stages with a ks ...nu cast kit...and thanks to Marks kindness have a partially built nu cast one just in case I decide to ditch my Heljan into .Well I think if you commence with a kit.or scratch build or courtesy of a source of donor models such as GBL, I have found myself more committed to bring the model to completion. I resent having forked out a lot of money for the Heljan Garratt, and a a Hornby Rebuilt Scot having to do this " remedial " work to have a good working model at the end. This has translated into my modelling..dynamic..The contrast with my recent work n the 2f something I wanted to do as opposed needed to do.. The Garratt and Scot will be completed....though im struggling a bit!

I'm itching to commence my remodelling of the station masters house...and a v2 chassis whch I intend to buy Sunday from the comet stand at Warley thus completing a model , the Graeme King body John ent to me some time ago. Gresley V2s we saw them all the time in Birmingham substituting the regular Gresley/Thompson/Peppercorn Pacific working.Ok in real life an A1 also an A3, and yes a V2..no record of an A4 past Derby...Mr Thompsons creations....B1s definitely....his pacifics...only on my model

Edited by 46256

On the topic of what " Eastern " locos would have been observed on the Midland Railway NE/SW route into Birmingham either from Derby or on the "slow" lines from Leicester. B1s....WD/s...D16 in the early fifties in trial also a K3...V2 en route from railtour duties on Southern region. An A1 60114.. A3 s on parcels from Newcastle...have seen a photo of a K1 at Gloucester...could have got there from other routes...but the NE/SW route seems the most obvious. One loco type I would have sworn travelled through is a class O4..on speaking with my friends a little older than I....sadly they cannot confirm...if anyone can please do so

• 2 weeks later...

post-23587-0-45788700-1512310568_thumb.jpegMark (stationmaster WO) visited yesterday. I was a little worried my layout would disappoint him especially as he has such a strong connection to the scene modelled. He appeared to be delighted with my attempt.
It unlocked a number of memories for us both some funny, others poignant remembering our families and especially our parents. Mark had a wonderful camera with him and took a series of photographs. I will share this for now, it is my cameo of my mother and I standing on the footbridge...Mark remarked it could be himself and his mum. He had a unique child minder though...he was only allowed to go halfway across the bridge towards the Dog Inn. The duty signalman in the East box would monitor him and if he went too far a message was sent to his mum or a rail worker would appear at the Dog side of the bridge arms folded and one errant son sent back home....marvellous.memories.... more of Marks photos in due course

Edited by 46256
  • Like 3

Hi Brian hope all is well

I will have to bring my caprotti black 5s one day when time lets me ha ha. I have seen a pic with one but I can't remember where I saw it.

I have now plucked up the courage to start the Mike princess kit. But I had to have my appendix out so that stoped the job but now I'm on the mend I will continue with it and get it finished.

Mark

I would love to report as on another modellers thread after visits from other enthusiasts...."all ran well no derailments....." would love to but cant

In my case both my Heljan being worked on effort....and more annoying my kitmaster portescap creation both derailed....in the latter case just as I said to Mark having seen the Heljan do so....this is what a garratt should look like in motion....cue front pony to come off and derail the rest of it.

I hope and think though Mark was impressed with the overall model of his childhood home. On another matter.....sorry to report in the smug zone this morning. I have won on a well known website an excellent looking model of a Midland Spinner. It states its a ks model tender drive....the painting looks excellent. I stood next to the prototype at The NRM last year and vowed to own one. They were regulars on the NE/SW Midland line up to the twenties and not sure if the preserved one ever ventured through in BR days....no matter will post a photo in due course, albeit it has to wait my birthday the end of January

Edited by 46256

post-23587-0-36170900-1512501654_thumb.jpegMy latest loco courtesy of a wellknown auction site...beautiful model. It needs attention to the tender, and a loco crew. I saw the preserved spinner together with the kirtley 240 and if I recall correctly the Robinson o4 in Leicester Midland roundhouse about 1970. They were between museums and had a temporary home there. My model now hidden in a secret location until birthday...
  • Like 3

Thank you Peter, my good friend and fellow WaterOrton Railway Society enthusiast from those sixties days Don Taggart, had shown me these photos on Flickr.i am pleased to say some if not all have been now incorporated in the Warwickshire Railways website. In your own case Peter I note you live in Australia. May I ask if that was always the case? I ask because growing up in the little village of Water Orton in the sixties....a trip to Coleshill was the equivilant today of a cross channel journey. Ok slight exaggeration...but now in my latter years I never cease to be amazed how ex villagers have settled in far corners of this wonderful planet. Sincere thanks for bringing these photos to my attention again...I don't think the 4f one has been transferred. One last thought these wagon photos show just how busy the little station goods yard was. In winter coal was unloaded for example straight from the mineral wagons into sacks on the back of coal merchants lorries.This same coal...or some of it was then delivered into our coal shed ....which was next to our outdoor privy. This one aspect of my childhood, I have no feelings of nostalgia for!

Edited by 46256
  • Like 1

Thank you Peter, my good friend and fellow WaterOrton Railway Society enthusiast from those sixties days Don Taggart, had shown me these photos on Flickr.i am pleased to say some if not all have been now incorporated in the Warwickshire Railways website. In your own case Peter I note you live in Australia. May I ask if that was always the case? I ask because growing up in the little village of Water Orton in the sixties....a trip to Coleshill was the equivilant today of a cross channel journey. Ok slight exaggeration...but now in my latter years I never cease to be amazed how ex villagers have settled in far corners of this wonderful planet. Sincere thanks for bringing these photos to my attention again...I don't think the 4f one has been transferred. One last thought these wagon photos show just how busy the little station goods yard was. In winter coal was unloaded for example straight from the mineral wagons into sacks on the back of coal merchants lorries.This same coal...or some of it was then delivered into our coal shed ....which was next to our outdoor privy. This one aspect of my childhood, I have no feelings of nostalgia for!

No, I was born in Nottingham but moved to Birmingham when I was 2 years old as Dad took up a job with Be-Ro flour as a van salesman. As a result I led a double life as we travelled back to North Notts. to stay with rellys evry other weekend. So I had the best of both worlds, Tyseley, Snow Hill, New Street, Stechford and Tamworth were my 'spots' when in Brum, with Bulwell, Basford and 'The 'Vic' as my haunts when in Notts. I also went to KE VI Camp hill, on the avoiding line at Hazelwell.

Add to this holidays in the South and West and it explains why I find it hard to stay focused on one area!!

Left UK in 1974 when I was 23, came back to visit 'hell' in 1988, (nearly all my family were colliers....), and did not return again until 2005 when I met the lady who is now my wife. We now try to visit evry other year at least, I like to do the SVR GCR autumn galas, with something else in the middle!!

Certainly they were more innocent times, seeing some of the pictures in this archive takes me back.

Cheers from Oz,

Peter C.

Lovely to read your reply Peter, many of those locations were not visited by me until later in the sixties..  Steam  had gone, Snow Hill a shadow of its former self...and Nottingham Victoria, I would  Love to have seen it. The SVR my "local" preserved line...yet to visit GCR though my mates like Don visit on a regular basis. I'm thrilled that the two parts of that line are now being connected, and one day hopefully soon hope to travel the full length. I know though when I do and I arrive at the Northern terminus that I will regret that Victoria station no longer exists beyond. I have a similar feeling on arriving at Bridgnorth not being able to travel on to Ironbridge. I experience a bigger regret at Bewdley, no longer being able to travel over the demolished bridge towards Tenbury. My son lives there and I often travel past the remains of that line. I have a DVD Bewdley to Blaneau which was filmed from a GWR railcar making that journey.

Back to the modelling the derail on the kitmaster. garratt the L shape spacer had come loose holding the retaining nut and screw. My shoddy soldering from back then....now fixed ....back to its prime. I took the opportunity to look closely at my earlier work on the motion, still to be done on the Heljan.  I had done a very good job on that, hope to replicate x 4 in due course.

I hope my wife dosnt read this but my birthday present has yet to be wrapped so sneaked the tender chassis out of the  presentation box.

I had realised it needed working on....now being done

Edited by 46256
  • Like 1

Repainted the mainline dean goods into BR black...awaiting cab side plates from 247 developments...not my railway but really enjoy this Edwardian design travelling through as a guest.I had this model loco back

in the eighties when I built an unfinished layout ...The GW/ LMS lines in the Black Country, loosely based on Dudley. I sold all these OO models when I went EM...only to revert back to OO...and now require them.The mainline tender drive is a good runner, even though I really don't like tender drive units as a rule. The spinner will have the tender drive reinvigorated. The Ks motor seems powerful enough, just the pick up arrangement leaves a bit to be desired. Lastly on the Edwardian loco theme paid a visit to my local model shop Tennents Trains. In there was a beautiful ks kit of the outside framed Kirtley. It runs beautifully. My two sons have been coerced into buying it for me. This though has been wrapped up along with zThe Spinner...will photo in a few weeks time.

Lastly...you've guessed it the Garratt, unhappy with my attempts with pony trucks and the required weight, to keep them on my track...have bought two Hornby 9f ones from Peters Spares...tension lick couplings, and outer steps dremelled off, hey presto two well riding additions to my model..more soon.

Edited by 46256
  • Like 3