Coleshill (Forge Mills ) layout and stock

post-23587-0-19930500-1496945147_thumb.jpegHeljan magnet now glued into rear of comet frames....soldered using Poppys jig...Heljan slidebars now in comet cylinders...Heljan tender top resting on top.....almost finished.......ok maybe not but seeing the bits starting to be reassembled s a good tonic...
  • Like 1

Ivan my kitmaster, like yourself bought in my case for a pittance at my local model shop. I discarded the revolving bunker and scratch built its straight sided replacement, recreating the only member of the class to retain this no 47998. Portescap powered it is a real pleasure to see it in action through Water Orton......a sight I could only ever if seen in real life from my pram....mum used to moan having to push a 24 yr old around in it!,,

Only joking would have been only 1 when last Garratt met its end...

• Like 1

Hi Brian - just caught up with progress on the Garrett. You have certainly set yourself a task - I'll be interested to see how it goes. Am I reading correcly that you intend to use 2 motorised chassis in tandem? If so, I assume you will use the same motor/gearbox combo in each. Are you sure, even so, that you will get both to revolve at the same rate/speed? If not, wouldnt this cause a real problem? Or is this just a silly question?

Best wishes anyway - speak soon

John

Hi Brian - just caught up with progress on the Garrett. You have certainly set yourself a task - I'll be interested to see how it goes. Am I reading correcly that you intend to use 2 motorised chassis in tandem? If so, I assume you will use the same motor/gearbox combo in each. Are you sure, even so, that you will get both to revolve at the same rate/speed? If not, wouldnt this cause a real problem? Or is this just a silly question?

Best wishes anyway - speak soon

John

Good Morning John, there has been debate on the Heljan Garratt thread about the effect of the two motors running in same loco. It might certainly be an issue with the motors as supplied, and indeed with the cheap Chinese replacements. I have had two portescap originally in the kitmaster...one removed without much detriment to the hauling power. One of these superb motors....well just look how much they go for on eBay....if and when offered. The mashima 10/20 that replaced the burnt out ones didn't appear to have any problems....it was other areas of the chassis that failed ....plastic centre wheels.....poor pick ups... I ve ordered two high level gear boxes and 14/20 mashimas...currently being awaited...more soon best wishes Brian
  • Like 1

Just a thought .......seems this thread has over 17000 ...hits.....from fellow modellers.....welcome......I .feel very chuffed until I realise 16500 are my own checks on the site .....

post-23587-0-17071800-1497518897_thumb.jpeghigh level roadrunner 60:1 gearboxes and mashima 14/20 motors received today...as ever great service from Chris. The front chassis now wheeled and free running. Body still sitting on the soon to be cannibalised rear chassis
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I've been very interested in your Garratt works ( and indeed the rest of the thread).

I have a K's example I built many years ago, of course once I had a layout I realised their motors and gearbox were not much use. The refurbishment has stalled for a while now, and I'd be fascinated to see how your HL Roadrunner/ 1420 combos fare, as obviously it isn't the easiest of locos to fit motors and gearboxes. I wonder do you drive the middle axle on each end?

Many thanks,

John.

Edited by John Tomlinson

Good Morning John, there has been debate on the Heljan Garratt thread about the effect of the two motors running in same loco. It might certainly be an issue with the motors as supplied, and indeed with the cheap Chinese replacements. I have had two portescap originally in the kitmaster...one removed without much detriment to the hauling power. One of these superb motors....well just look how much they go for on eBay....if and when offered. The mashima 10/20 that replaced the burnt out ones didn't appear to have any problems....it was other areas of the chassis that failed ....plastic centre wheels.....poor pick ups... I ve ordered two high level gear boxes and 14/20 mashimas...currently being awaited...more soon best wishes Brian

I do have experience of this with my own souped-up and kit built diesels. Very much the peasant end of the market I know, but doubling up old Lima or Hornby pancakes in diesels is perfectly feasible, and with weighting gives a very powerful loco indeed. With these items I normally test several power bogies and pick two that seem closely matched across the speed range. Given the altogether superior components you are using in the Garratt, I'd be surprised if you have a problem.

John.

Good afternoon John, I am using the high level load hauler plus gearbox, it has the ability to drive off the middle axle but lift the mashima motor above the frames and forward into the low forward tank top. If you go on Chris's High level website he has a gearbox planner which assists how to use in awkward models. Best wishesBrian

Just double checking...it is the LOADHAULER plus I'm using...the one with the extra gear cradle that allows the lift and forward projection from the centre axle

That makes a lot of sense looking at your picture.

Many thanks indeed for the clarification.

John.

post-23587-0-46028400-1498597360_thumb.jpegpost-23587-0-54421200-1498597386_thumb.jpegwhat a fantastic site Warwickshire railways is especially to those enthusiasts like me who knew the railways of that area and era now long gone. My layout is based on boyhood memories, the station still stands today, albeit nothing more than a covered walkway from Minworth Road bridge. I have researched my model for over twenty years. Photographs are not too plentiful. I was lucky initially to be put in touch with a villager who had a vast number of photos, alas would not let them be reproduced. Mike Musson the curator of Warwicksrhire railways has done a wonderful job in collecting photos of scenes I had thought long gone. The two photos here are of two midland stalwarts. The caption states they are in the station goods yard awaiting their fate . In fact these photos show them in the stowage sidings across the lines and other side of the station. The two locos were initially dumped there . They were then shunted from there to the small goods yard where they were cut up alongside the disused cattle dock. Two ancillary photos on the site show 40396 being disposed of. It was this sight that confronted me , I was sitting on the top deck of the 161 bus returning from the ear nose and throat hospital having had my tonsils removed. Mum was alongside me. I saw the 2p in exactly the condition shown with its tubes being removed..I survived my surgery sadly 40396 did not
  • Like 1

On a modelling note have been fettling away creating the slidebars supports. Unlike the fowler 264t these are behind the coupling rods next to the frames...a bit worried about the clearance of the crosshead....more soon

• Like 1

On a modelling note have been fettling away creating the slidebars supports. Unlike the fowler 264t these are behind the coupling rods next to the frames...a bit worried about the clearance of the crosshead....more soon

Yes, the supports are on the very tips of the slidebar "ears". Not looking forward to that.

post-23587-0-96748500-1498763813_thumb.jpegmy kitmaster portescap Garratt travelling through my station...photo courtesy of Andy York...my favourite of the ones he took back on a bleak January night in 2014. I love it not so much for the loco....but the angle he captured of the station walkway onto the platform....so many times I have walked down there....
  • Like 5

post-23587-0-47998200-1498765402_thumb.pnga further view by Andy...again notable...to me as it showcases the four road footbridge. This was scratchbuilt by me ....it cost more in raw materials than an equivilant etched brass loco kit...
  • Like 3

The signal box shows an incorrect nameboard...namely Water Orton East jct. A recent photographic addition to the Warwickshire railways website shows ths Midland box was named in BR days if not before Water Orton station jct. it has now been amended on the model. The replacement BR std box that replaced it..also modelled shows the east jct name.

• 3 weeks later...
post-23587-0-11413400-1500142059_thumb.jpega bit of a milestone. The second chassis built and both travelling under the body. The first chassis is proving to be an excellent traction unit. I was tempted to leave it as a single motor, I won't the second motor will be added in due course. The building of any model is solving a number of problems. In this case the model..the body is heavy and resting on the chassis ends causes them to lift. Heljan solved this by placing the motors and flywheels in a heavy metal box. The plastic superstructure and chassis were affixed to this. In my remodelling a lot of the metal box has been removed to allow the new motor gearbox. As shown in second photo. I will have to work out a way of fixing and weighting the chassis. The joy of our hobby!post-23587-0-33688900-1500142462_thumb.jpeg
  • Like 3

• 5 weeks later...

post-23587-0-61809900-1502823353_thumb.jpegas a bit of light relief from my ongoing battle with the Heljan Garratt....decided to indulge in a bit of razor saw and dremel therapy. The. Intention s to turn the GBL jinty into 58186. The tende is a ks kit from my round boiler version.

Work to date ncludes revving one side tank...rear f cab and tender and shortening smokebox. I have a round dome...probably have to cut out boiler and replac with correct size tube. If finished though do I keep t as a static with GBL chassis as per the pre scrap one or motorise...the cab roof needs thickening out...and unless I can get a ration Johnson tender will need to scratchbuilt.post-23587-0-87193400-1502823706_thumb.jpegjust to finish my mate sent me this found on face book....

• Like 5

post-23587-0-96469000-1502985534_thumb.jpeg 2f now with boiler replaced with correct dia tube courtesy of a maker pen top...dome temporarily in position...one side of deeply cab in place courtesy of GBL compound donor. Behind the loco a 3 f created long before Bachmann...Triang body...replacement tube boiler...splashers recreated in plastic in correct position...and beyond ks 2f....and of course the dishevelled mess I refer too as my workbench....the area my wife threatens to tidy up on the rare occasion she wants to needle me...as opposed to knife.....
  • Like 2