Southern Railway Colour Light Signals

Are there any examples of southern ground signals and if they differ in style like the main signals are with curved top and bottoms? It's just I'm getting ready to buy and install them now, but need to order ground ones for points in my main station.

• RMweb Gold

Are there any examples of southern ground signals and if they differ in style like the main signals are with curved top and bottoms? It's just I'm getting ready to buy and install them now, but need to order ground ones for points in my main station.

The Southern standard for ground signals was to use illuminated disc signals (although possibly some of the very early schemes might not have used them?)

In schemes installed before the late 1930s, the Southern used colour light signals (with smaller lens than the running signals) for subsidiary signals which could be ground mounted or mounted on posts close to (and usually below) the running signals. These colour light subsidiary signals were usually two aspect R/G or R/Y signals, but there were a handful of locations where four aspect signals (two pairs of two) were installed and these could display RR/RY/GR - the precise meanings of these were specific to the location where they were installed, and at least one, at Preston Park, read, most unusually, through a hand-worked point (which was detected).

I believe I am right in saying that these subsidiary colour light signals finally disappeared with the abolition of the fire-damaged Brighton power box in 1984.

Edited by bécasse