Qubelok : UK alternative

Prof Klyzlr

Dear RMwebbers,

Down here in Aust we'e been using brandname "Qubelok" plastic joiners and inch-square aluminium tube for module framework and similar missions for decades. Was looking for something else and stumbled onto some UK equivalents. Thought it might be of interest...

In no particular order:

http://www.aluminiumwarehouse.co.uk/EasyFix_Tube_Connectors/c180/index.html

https://www.themetalstore.co.uk/products/tube-connectors-square

Team basic aluminium framing with Foamcore module construction, and one can have a featherweight full-proscenium module at very cost-effective pricing, which stacks/cubes/transports well and can survive significant over-the-road abuse...

Happy Modelling,
Aim to Improve,
Prof Klyzlr

Dear Tim,

I have clinic notes available from presentations I've given RE using Foamcore and Qubelok to build sections/modules.
All of my layouts since 2000 (Brooklyn : 3AM) have used this technique and are still going strong.

RE angled joiners, I know that "hinge" joiners are now available, but I honestly haven't needed to use them.
A multi-tool and a few seconds thought was all that was required to adapt stock 3-leg "corner joiners" to create a 45-deg "trap module" frame.

05_Joiner_plus_MDF_packer.jpg

angles_01.jpg

I would also NOT reccomend using the "flat 3-way" ("T" shape) joiners to add mid-module perpendicular cross-braces,
Indeed, I Strongly Reccomend to NOT cut the 4x main frame members
(2x long "side" and 2x short "end" members) for ANY reason!

If you feel you absolutely MUST add mid-module cross-bracing between the Main frame-members (and I'd think long and hard about it!),
I'd reccomend using _lipped_ aluminium tube for the Main Frame-members instead of "normal square" tube,
and use the lip as an anchor point for MDF or ply gussetts (note the MDF parallellogram gussetts in the lower corners of the trap-module above),

or as a tab-in-slot mounting for full-tube cross-braces
(as shown on the ChicagO Fork O2R train-turntable support-brace below,
NOTE the slot cut thru the tube wall of the brace, which mates with the lip of the frame-member tube.
The "Liquid Nails" was the "belt and braces" adhesive for what was a pretty-solid mechanically-locked joint)

dscn0710.jpg

Happy Modelling,
Aim to Improve,
Prof Klyzlr

PS Qubelok doesn't have to only be for modules ;-)

Leg_Build_Overview-600x849.png

suspicious_01.jpg

• RMweb Gold

I've heard mention of (some, not lots) wireless DCC users experiencing some sort of Faraday Cage effect when using aluminium framing, have you had any evidence of such a thing Prof?

As decent wood is somewhat more expensive in Spain than aluminium this is a route I was considering going down.

Mike.

Dear Mike,

Personally I'm big on staying-wired wherever possible, I've seen too many show layouts with RF throttle rigs (Digitrax, NCE, 2.4Ghz) get swamped and become very-unreliable under typical "multi-layout exhibition" conditions. That said, I did stash a JMRI laptop + DLink DIR-600 WiFi router under the train-turntable on "Toorong"
(IE well within the enclosed Qubelok framing),

while trialling the JMRI "EngineDriver" Android throttle system with a PowerCab. No issues to speak of regarding the Droid WiFi <> DIR-600 coverage.

I suspect the "Faraday Cage" hypothesis is just that. The plastic corner joiners mean the frame members are not electrically or RF-continous, and the holes between the members are soooooooooooo big that RF signals of typical frequency/size would easily pass thru without impediment. (Aimed at the right angle, a focussed RF waveform could concievably be "messed up a bit" as it passes by, but typical WiFi and DCC radio-throttle antennas are much more "broad beam" than "narrow focus" in nature).

To create a proper Faraday Cage, let alone one which is "tuned" to capture specific frequencies, would require a metal frame with unbroken metal sheeting/shielding, a far cry from a Qubelok frame assembly. (I've built temporary Cages previously from shipping containers to allow EU and FCC electrical-noise testing of pro-audio equipment. Any hole in the metal shielding can skew the results, esp when you have a cell-phone tower line-of-sight to the test location....)

Happy Modelling,
Aim to Improve,
Prof Klyzlr

Archived