Kingswear Signalling

Just wondering if anybody could point me in the direction of some decent photos of the Down Inner Home Bracket Signal. In particular I'm interested in knowing about the Ground Signal.

Was it in fact a Ground Signal and was it elevated or perhaps a miniature arm on mini-bracket and if so at what periods?

It looks very adjacent to the Bracket Signal itself hence the question.

• RMweb Gold

The SRS 1961 diagram shows it as a ground mounted disc and the leads show it as reading to the sidings on either side which immediately suggests to me that it was most likely to be ground mounted.  There is a picture in the Middleton Press book where the bracket appears in the background and the disc is definitely not on the bracket structure - in fact it looks as if it is directly in front of the main upright although that is not clear.  The bracket at that time (1964) was tubular steel and arranged as a left hand bracket with the arms at equal elevation.

The SRS 1961 diagram shows it as a ground mounted disc and the leads show it as reading to the sidings on either side which immediately suggests to me that it was most likely to be ground mounted.  There is a picture in the Middleton Press book where the bracket appears in the background and the disc is definitely not on the bracket structure - in fact it looks as if it is directly in front of the main upright although that is not clear.  The bracket at that time (1964) was tubular steel and arranged as a left hand bracket with the arms at equal elevation.

Hi,

Thanks but really of interest is the GWR period, when it was a square posted job.

Now the question is will GWRJ No 25 give me the info I need? I think I have a copy but it is not immediately accessible to me at the moment nor will it be so for a good few months, so if it does have the info I am looking for, I'll buy a copy but if not then there is no point in duplicating something I probably already have.

Hi Mike,

Right, as you were. Period in question is around 1959, so.....

As far as I can see all the signals were of the tubular post design but I have a question about platform No 1 starter. I believe the signal was immediately before the turnout leading to the Turntable etc, now my question is how many routes and what was the nomenclature on the indicators and how many were there?

Obviously there was a MAIN, plus presumably one for the down loop, one for the Turntable and possibly one for the sidings.

However I do have a further question about the inner down home signal. The photo in the OPC book Vol 2, seems to show a single square post signal. The photo is undated but obviously of early BR vintage, so how can this be, when all the diagrams show a bracket signal, which you also confirmed to be the case in 1964?

• RMweb Gold

Hi Mike,

Right, as you were. Period in question is around 1959, so.....

As far as I can see all the signals were of the tubular post design but I have a question about platform No 1 starter. I believe the signal was immediately before the turnout leading to the Turntable etc, now my question is how many routes and what was the nomenclature on the indicators and how many were there?

Obviously there was a MAIN, plus presumably one for the down loop, one for the Turntable and possibly one for the sidings.

However I do have a further question about the inner down home signal. The photo in the OPC book Vol 2, seems to show a single square post signal. The photo is undated but obviously of early BR vintage, so how can this be, when all the diagrams show a bracket signal, which you also confirmed to be the case in 1964?

Looking at the 1961 'box diagram the signal part way along Platform No.2 is an ordinary straight post with a disc reading to the turntable siding/carriage sidings however earlier photos definitely show a route indicator on that signal.  I have found a 1945 photo in a book which has the back of the signal visible but it it is too indistinct to count the number of slides in the route indicator but there definitely aren't many - maybe two and no more than three.  Assuming the Up Main Starting Signal was a three doll bracket prior to 1960 - which it probably was - then the route indicator would only have show two or three routes,  likely to be, at most, Up Main (reading to the next Starting Signal from Platform No. 2), No.2 Loop, and Sidings.  If there were four slides then the other would have been for the turntable - the big question mark (to which I can find no answer) is whether or not the point leading to the turntable was worked from the 'box and if it was whether or not a separate indication was provided.  

The change probably took place in 1960 when the lever was shortened (and probably relocked or maybe even renewed) and the number of levers was reduced but regrettably the SRS information doesn't include any sort of locking chart which would possibly solve some of the unanswered questions and I can find no trace of a diagram for the period immediately before the 1960 work.

The OPC book does indeed show what appears to be a straight timber post for the Inner Home Signal so the photo and judging by the livery of a tender visible in the picture it almost certainly pre-dates the 1960 work.  It's no more than a suspicion but I would imagine that following the doubling of the viaduct and the resiting of the Inner Home  the new signal was provided with a route indicator reading to at least three and probably four routes - the two platforms, No.2 PlLoop, and the quayside sidings.  The original Inner Home had 'to sidings' arm reading to the latter but No.2 loop hadn't existed back then.  Again I think the change came with the 1960 when the routes to the Loop and sidings were signalled by a single ground disc - an alteration absolutely typical of the sort of changes being made at that time.

So the big problem you face is whether to go for 1959 with a bit of educated guesswork or go for the post 1960 situation where good quality information is available.  While I might be wrong I think all the changes which obviously took place in terms of discs replacing semaphore signalled routes can be linked to the 1960 work.  Sorry I can't offer anything more but I'll have a look through various books and see if I can find any more useful photos.

Hi,

Thanks for the info. Looking at the other photo in the OPC book, the Platform 2 starter appears to be a tubular post signal, and I think that there is a route indicator attached.

I can't see a separate lever, so presume the turnout was controlled from the box. What you say about the down inner home makes sense.

I have found photos on the web of Kingswear in the 1960s and Platform 2 starter did not have a route indicator by then. Also the point rodding from the box did reach to the turnout for the Turntable etc. Now what we need is some photos in the late 50s. There may be something in GWRJ issue 25 but I can't check on that at the moment.

Hi Mike,

Well the plot thickens I have found this website which has loads of photos on Kingswear, most of which are not railway related but there are some gems. In particular there is a colour photo of the bracket signals.

First point of interest is that the tubular post bracket gantry is painted white, rather than the usual black. There is also a better view of the inner home signal which appears to be a square post bracket. I think the right hand bracket doll is for the harbour yard and also the main post has a route indicator on it. So I think we therefore have the full  story for the 1950s? I'll send a cropped picture PM.

I think I now have a clearer picture of what was what in the 1950s thanks mainly to Mike (The Stationmaster) and to the photos I've found on the Internet. The Down Inner Home Signal was a square post signal with a route indicator. Platform 2 starter was a tubular post signal also with a Route Indicator. I still have a few niggles though.

When was Platform 1 starter updated to a tubular post and how many routes did the 2 Indicators have, I think I know the answers but would like to be 100% certain. A bit more research now, whilst Bracket Signal Post for Signals 7 and 4 for Seaton dries after being cleaned (nothing whatsoever to do with Star Trek).

Now pretty certain that Platform 2 starter route indicator had 2 routes, Main and sidings, I think there was a ground signal as well so that was most likely for the loop as that had its own starter further down past the turntable. In any event I can only see 2 levers in the photo on the Cornwall Railway Society site photo.

Just to round things off

Inner Down Home -bracket 2 dolls equal height

Other signals - tubular

All painted in usual aluminium

After dieselisation (possibly by 1965) Platform 2 1st starter lost its route indicator

Inner Down Home - square post with route indicator - 2 routes

Platform 1 starter - square post

Platform 2 starters - both tubular painted aluminium - route indicator has 2 routes

Bracket Signal - white gantry rather than black and white post and dolls

late GWR and WR 1950s up to possibly 1958

As 1960 but Platform 2 starters were both wooden post signals

• RMweb Gold

The SRS disc has the 1961 diagram and a list of leads (which matches the 1961 diagram) and another diagram dated c.1900 which was probably unaltered until the layout improvements of the late 1920s/30s.  There will no doubt also be a diagram in the relevant volume of George Pryer's series of books but I don't have that particular volume so don't know what period(s) it covers.

• 3 weeks later...

I've been looking more carefully at the book I have recently bought, "The Great Western in South Devon", and there are a few photos new to me, one of which is a very good 1950s shot of the No 1 Platform Starter and No 2 Platform Second Starter, descriptions as are as Pryer/Clark. Now there is clearly some writing on the second signals arm, which looks like "LOOP" to me (Last letter looks most like a P), so perhaps the description in the book is incorrect and it should actually refer to the loop as I can't think what else it could be? Platform No 1 still a square post and the tubular single ones painted aluminium.

I can't actually post a photo here because of copyright but if Mike is interested I'll PM him a scan or two. It'll be a week or two before I need to make a decision on this as I have other projects to complete first.

• RMweb Gold

I've been looking more carefully at the book I have recently bought, "The Great Western in South Devon", and there are a few photos new to me, one of which is a very good 1950s shot of the No 1 Platform Starter and No 2 Platform Second Starter, descriptions as are as Pryer/Clark. Now there is clearly some writing on the second signals arm, which looks like "LOOP" to me (Last letter looks most like a P), so perhaps the description in the book is incorrect and it should actually refer to the loop as I can't think what else it could be? Platform No 1 still a square post and the tubular single ones painted aluminium.

I can't actually post a photo here because of copyright but if Mike is interested I'll PM him a scan or two. It'll be a week or two before I need to make a decision on this as I have other projects to complete first.

If you would please Stephen as that is different from the lever leads listed on the SRS disc (however they are for the 1960 replacement frame).

Are we talking about the 1990 WSP book by Beck & Copsey? If so, then are you referring to the picture on p124? If so, and comparing with the picture on p117, then I would suggest that the legend is 'BAY', which was quite a common feature on GWR signals.

• RMweb Gold

Are we talking about the 1990 WSP book by Beck & Copsey? If so, then are you referring to the picture on p124? If so, and comparing with the picture on p117, then I would suggest that the legend is 'BAY', which was quite a common feature on GWR signals.

I have seen the photo (thanks Stephen) and the wording is fairly indistinct - although I understand it is clearer on the original - but I have already expressed the view to Stephen by PM that it might say BAY although it could possibly be a longer word.  If the signal applid to the loop it shouldn't, by right, have had a 4 ft arm and it quite clearly has one.

I have seen the photo (thanks Stephen) and the wording is fairly indistinct - although I understand it is clearer on the original - but I have already expressed the view to Stephen by PM that it might say BAY although it could possibly be a longer word.  If the signal applid to the loop it shouldn't, by right, have had a 4 ft arm and it quite clearly has one.

I'll go with BAY then., though why it should say that is another matter which I don't understand as it is referred to as Platform 2 in the Clark book diagram.

I'll go with BAY then., though why it should say that is another matter which I don't understand as it is referred to as Platform 2 in the Clark book diagram.

It was a 'Bay' because it was a dead-end shorter than the main platform. Similar labelling could be found for example on signals at the west end of Taunton. Even the 'back' platform at Dulverton had a signal  labelled 'Bay' IIRC and that was not even a dead-end, but of course all the Exe Valley trains used it as such. The signal engineer is not really concerned about platform numbers.....:-)

• 2 months later...

I've been abroad for about  a week and come back to a mountain of emails etc, only just starting to catch up. Anyway, I am now re-united with some of my books and GWRJ No 25 in particular, which has loads of stuff on Kingswear. There is a magnificent aerial photo in particular, which shows all the signals in 1959.

The 2 single post tubular signals will need to be re-painted in aluminium, otherwise everything else appears as thought.

Archived