Ratio Nissen Hut 558

rue_d_etropal

• RMweb Gold

Super photo ....thank you for posting it

Off topic but I have to ask......was that head lamp code a speciality of the S&DJR or a forgetful fireman?

Regards

John

It was one of the S&D's own codes - freight train locos had the upper lamp with the lower lamp above the right buffer and light engines just had the one at the foot of the chimney. These codes lasted right through to closure. You can see some through trains with a standard code.

The big problem with the Italeri model, is that they chose to do one of the least common and least successful versions with horozontal corugations. The rain does not run off as well as the normal way with corrugations across the hut.

If Italeri had chosen one of the more common designs then it would have found a lot of uses with modellers, as curved corrugations are not easy to model.

There is an excellent book all about the Quonset hut. I bought a copy a few years ago but think it is still available.https://www.amazon.co.uk/Quonset-Hut-Metal-Living-Modern/dp/1568985193 

There were no drawings(which I could use) of original Nissen hut, so I was not really planning to design a model, but a google search this year(centenary of introduction) located some, mainly because of the interest now. Not that there is much to know, as dimensions are pretty standard, and there were many variations. It was possible to deduce how many panels made up the roof, hence my surprise at finding this inaccuracy in the Ratio kit.

Brian, as mentioned above 2016 is the centenary of their introduction. The originals were more basic, normally wood ends, and windows would be a luxury. They are more associated with WW2, on particular airfields, probably because so many new airfields were built then.

Strangely, given that Nissen huts were a WW1 innovation, our great expansion of airfield was achieve using Temporary Brick Construction buildings (TBC), which everyone will recognise as the long, low rendered brick buildings with buttresses and pitched corrugated iron roofs.  On some airfields I have explored I have found that Nissen huts were added for extra accommodation to site predominately featuring TBC buildings.  

• RMweb Premium

Strangely, given that Nissen huts were a WW1 innovation, our great expansion of airfield was achieve using Temporary Brick Construction buildings (TBC), which everyone will recognise as the long, low rendered brick buildings with buttresses and pitched corrugated iron roofs.  On some airfields I have explored I have found that Nissen huts were added for extra accommodation to site predominately featuring TBC buildings.  

Preserved TBC buildings here >> http://www.stowmaries.org.uk

• RMweb Gold

While doing my social work course in 1970, I had a placement at Frenchay Hospital, Bristol. It had been expanded in WW2 and used by the US military medical services. I am sure that quite a number of wards were in TBC buildings with gaps between them - fun when you wanted to take a patient to X-ray or similar, in bad weather. They still seem to have been in use until it closed, fairly recently, 2014 I think.

https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:Frenchay_Hospital,_Ward_20_rear.JPG

For buildings more like the TBC ones try this chap, chances are someone willlbring out a brick version,as this one looks more like traditional military hut dating back to WW1 period.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Frontline-20mm-1-72-Barrack-Hut/361752278795?_trksid=p2045573.c100033.m2042&_trkparms=aid%3D111001%26algo%3DREC.SEED%26ao%3D1%26asc%3D38661%26meid%3D345b37d0ba3640c889b6874510f07ecc%26pid%3D100033%26rk%3D3%26rkt%3D8%26sd%3D222312624489

• RMweb Premium

For buildings more like the TBC ones try this chap, chances are someone willlbring out a brick version,as this one looks more like traditional military hut dating back to WW1 period.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Frontline-20mm-1-72-Barrack-Hut/361752278795?_trksid=p2045573.c100033.m2042&_trkparms=aid%3D111001%26algo%3DREC.SEED%26ao%3D1%26asc%3D38661%26meid%3D345b37d0ba3640c889b6874510f07ecc%26pid%3D100033%26rk%3D3%26rkt%3D8%26sd%3D222312624489

These huts preceded the Nissen huts and were based on IIRC 10 or 12 foot panels. Some of the panels were plain and others had doors or windows and were used as required. They were used to build a variety of different buildings, construction being similar to a modern 'flat pack' garden shed. Many survive up until the present day but may not be recognisable due to modifications and alterations. They became a firm favourite with farmers and 'plotland' dwellers between the wars. When I was a member of the Maldon model railway in the 1980's the club used to meet in such a hut.

I tried googling these TBC's but could not find anything. Were they to similar design to thosebuilt for military hospitals, and subsequently used for other government work. Ihave worked in or lived near Longbenton(Newcastle), Guildford and Norcross near Fleetwood ,and these  certainly used a standard pitched roof design. It would be interesting to find some plans or good drawings. I did once come across drawings of hangers developed during WW2. I still have some, but the online source is no longer available.

The type will be instantly recognisable.  As pictures speak a thousand words ..... former RAF East Fortune.

The TBCs were thrown up in the 1940-1 period.  Nissen huts were in a minority here, and resulted from expansion needs later in the war; the one pictured dates from 1944.

Some 6-7 years ago, while still wedged in the Railway Modeller's Armchair, my son went through his Airfix phase and I had to build an aerodrome!  These TBCs are remarkably easy to reproduce. Some card, rough side for the rendering, buttresses fom  Balsa strips.  Proprietary corrugated iron sheets and, I recall, I made the ridge from a wooden skewer wrapped in kitchen foil.

post-25673-0-30028700-1479112665_thumb.jpg

post-25673-0-18625600-1479112743_thumb.jpg

post-25673-0-43585000-1479112759_thumb.jpg

post-25673-0-75149700-1479113685_thumb.jpg

post-25673-0-13976600-1479113704_thumb.jpg

post-25673-0-75473900-1479113728_thumb.jpg

post-25673-0-02827200-1479113746_thumb.jpg

post-25673-0-52394100-1479113761_thumb.jpg

post-25673-0-09001300-1479113778_thumb.jpg

post-25673-0-80297000-1479113800_thumb.jpg

post-25673-0-38120300-1479113817_thumb.jpg

My old school (Llanelli Boys' Grammar and Technical School) had been based on three buildings in this style. When it became a school, post WW2, the three parallel lines of buildings were joined by another building at right-angles. Larger windows may also have been fitted at this point. The old Llanelli hospital had several wards of similar construction. I believe both sets of buildings were intended as possible military hospitals, in anticipation of high casualty numbers after D-Day. 

Brick construction may have been used because steel was needed for military uses.

Here are some examples which I believe may date from WW1. They are at what was RNAS Lympne, and are visible from Otterpool Lane; the rest of the airfield would have been behind the camera.

https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@51.0805413,1.0107178,3a,75y,270h,90t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1sth74vFGZKUTOMxfiDRFJdQ!2e0!7i13312!8i6656?hl=en

The D day hospital idea is correct , certainly the sites I mentioned were built for that purpose., Cement rendering looks more common. They still probably took a while to build. Not an overnight job. Cement rendering makes modelling them easier. They do seem to follow a standard design. The ex hospital site I know had a sophisticated on site heating system, where all buildings were connected to one heat source, again not an overnight build job, but it is possible that was installed after the war.

If it had not been obvious in one phot, I would have assumed some type of prefabrication structure.

That large Nissen hut looks like a 24ft wide one , whichis wwhat the Roco Minitanks one is. Just don't be fooled by the model saying HO, as it is too big for HO, and as I mentioned above is 96mm wide, ie 24ft. Unfortunately it does not have the sparations between pieces of corrugated iron, but better none than incorrect  Ratio one. I have just ordered some of the Amera vac formed ones, as I want to try mix and matching . I had some many years ago. Some of their vac formed bases look like the old Airfix ones. Seem to remember reading something to that effect. There is a non windowed one on an airfield base, so I might be tempted by that as well. I might also try seeing what the Ratio roof will fit, maybe a 20ft wide hut. Ends are easy to knock up.

Shortage of iron might explain reason for brick buildings, especially as they have asbestos roof. Certainly a little similarity to the Provender store from Ratio. One reason why I thought they were prefabricated.

Whilst not prefabricated, the brick-built buildings may have been 'industrialised' to an extent, with doors and windows to standard dimensions, and the roof purlins ready-made.

Unlike banging up totally pre-fabricated structures, building brick structures also gave the impression we weren't in a hurry to be at war, possibly encouraging the Germans to think we were less prepared than they thought. From talking to my father, his uncle Bert's firm had been really busy from about 1937 onwards, building shelters and other structures.

back to Nissen hut, just received a couple of the Amera vac formed ones(not a kit really). They will fit round the Ratio ends , and I plan to have various low relief huts using different parts. The double doors can be fitted to another end easily. The roof on the Ratio kit should fit a 20ft wide hut, so can easily build an end for that(might use the double doors).

The Amera corrugations don't have the gaps between sheets, but as I said, better none than incorrect ones.( I have seen one built with obviously separate sections, and in some wys it looks too much and in reality  am sure it would not have kept out the rain!

It should also be possible to do some part built/run down versions. I might consider a frame for a 20ft hut, even some full sections .

So all is not lost. In some ways it has opened up more possibilities.

started on the small diorama, the Ratio end fits the Amera coorugated section well, so a couple of low relief huts, plus the doored end of the Amera kit. The Roco Minitanks hut makes up in a nice large 24ft wide hut. The roof from the Ratio kit was slightly shortened tomake it 36ft long and a couple of semi circles 4cm radius cut from plastic to create a 20ft wide hut. The warehouse doors from the Ratio kit werethen fitted.

I am including an open ended hut using my 3D printed modules, which will be raised a few mm so narrow gauge track can be fitted . A hole on side of boxfile will allow track to continue. The other end will be a bridge to disguise exit.

The small huts are in the boxfile, the large ones on the lid, making it a raised area connected to the lower area via the bridge.

Fun starts now as I need it complete in just over a week. Complete?well enough done to show the different Nissen huts.

• 2 weeks later...

These huts preceded the Nissen huts and were based on IIRC 10 or 12 foot panels. Some of the panels were plain and others had doors or windows and were used as required. They were used to build a variety of different buildings, construction being similar to a modern 'flat pack' garden shed. Many survive up until the present day but may not be recognisable due to modifications and alterations. They became a firm favourite with farmers and 'plotland' dwellers between the wars. When I was a member of the Maldon model railway in the 1980's the club used to meet in such a hut.

Near to where I live there is a chap who is restoring and reassembling these WW1 huts to create a military camp complete with a trench system. I visited during the Heritage Open Days weekend and although there wasn't much to see then, I was impressed with his vision. You can find out more here http://www.greatwarhuts.org/

• 3 weeks later...

The type will be instantly recognisable.  As pictures speak a thousand words ..... former RAF East Fortune.

The TBCs were thrown up in the 1940-1 period.  Nissen huts were in a minority here, and resulted from expansion needs later in the war; the one pictured dates from 1944.

Some 6-7 years ago, while still wedged in the Railway Modeller's Armchair, my son went through his Airfix phase and I had to build an aerodrome!  These TBCs are remarkably easy to reproduce. Some card, rough side for the rendering, buttresses fom  Balsa strips.  Proprietary corrugated iron sheets and, I recall, I made the ridge from a wooden skewer wrapped in kitchen foil.

I m new to this so grovelling apologies in advance.

I think buildings like this are still in use on parts of Thorpe Arch Trading Estate ( no interest just dragged along husband/chauffeur/bag carrier/bill payer ) which was a munitions dump in WW2 and parts of the railway link are also visible

regards Bobthemilk

I m new to this so grovelling apologies in advance.

I think buildings like this are still in use on parts of Thorpe Arch Trading Estate ( no interest just dragged along husband/chauffeur/bag carrier/bill payer ) which was a munitions dump in WW2 and parts of the railway link are also visible

regards Bobthemilk

Oops. Thorpe Arch is near to Wetherby in West Yorkshire

regards Bobthemilk

Simon - suspect that this is a Quonset - borrowed it from FB today - it may give you an alternative version end

attachicon.gifquonset.jpg

There was a similarly-sized 'hut' that was used as a wagon repair depot in the Ellesmere Port area (Tank Cleaning Services?); it had a pair of tracks going into it. There was a photo in one of the magazines a while ago.

• 3 weeks later...

Archived