I can report that all went well at the Wimbourne show. The layout ran very well but we were squeezed up against the wall. (On future exhibition forms we will specify more exactly how much space we need behind the layout) Plus there were no barriers. But thankfully there was no damage to the front of the layout.
There were a few local railwaymen and enthusiasts who were able recall the line in the 1960's including one visitor who showed me some rather nice photos that he took at the time. He plans to restore the photos as they have lots a spots on them and post them online. He remembers a young Nigel Kendall with a recollection that he was the guy with the posh camera.
Nigels photos, by the way, have been a huge help in producing the model.
Now onto progress reports.
Richard Stevenson has been working on some Bulleid coaches that had been lurking in Douglas Smiths to do collection. These are coming along quite nicely. A three car set has already replaced the blood and custard Bachmann's.
I have been doing more work on the lever frame. I wasn't able to do much on it until the Christmas holidays. But I have made up time since then and have made good progress. The locking frame for all the levers now complete and covered in a sheet of perspex. I took the frame along to our meeting (EMGS NWSAG) to get feedback which was positive even though there is some fine tuning required. I noted that some members struggled a bit with identifying the lever numbers to the track diagram and a few had problems understanding why some levers wouldn't unlock when they expected them too.
Anyway a few pictures are posted below.
pictures of the levers.
The locking frame.