Track underlay

Hi

On my last layout I used C+L close cell foam as part of the track underlay that come in small rolls, do's anyone know where you can buy this as bigger roll?.

This is the stuff I am looking for http://www.finescale.org.uk/index.php?route=product/product&product_id=3741&search=foam

If anyone can point me to where I can gets this from?, Thanks.

Darren

I use a closed cell foam called Plastazote available from here  .  It costs £7.17 + VAT for a 2m x 1m roll.  Available in various thicknesses. I glue it down to baseboard with contact adhesive then glue track onto surface of foam with neat PVA.  You need to be careful when glueing to the baseboard not to stretch it as you end up with thin areas.

Cheers

Keith

Have a look at ordinary 3mm laminate/wood flooring underlay eg from B&Q - at £2.40 per sq m, cheaper than the Plastazote suggested above but you do have a buy 10 sq m in one go.  Possible downside is that it comes in concertina packs rather than rolls, so it has fold lines.  Not a problem if you're only going to lay it under track and put ballast on top, but could be unsightly if you plan to cover the entire baseboard surface.

• RMweb Gold

Have a look at ordinary 3mm laminate/wood flooring underlay eg from B&Q - at £2.40 per sq m, cheaper than the Plastazote suggested above but you do have a buy 10 sq m in one go.  Possible downside is that it comes in concertina packs rather than rolls, so it has fold lines.  Not a problem if you're only going to lay it under track and put ballast on top, but could be unsightly if you plan to cover the entire baseboard surface.

B&Q also do rolls of 2mm underlay.  How does that differ (aside from 1mm)?  Do you know?  I cannot tell from their website.  Would that be an alternative?

B&Q also do rolls of 2mm underlay.  How does that differ (aside from 1mm)?  Do you know?  I cannot tell from their website.  Would that be an alternative?

The 2mm foam appears to be supplied in rolls rather than concertina folds.  No idea what else, if anything, might be different apart from the thickness.

I chose the 3mm because that's near enough ⅛", which I understand to be the best thickness for 00 gauge in terms of the shoulder height you end up with after ballasting.  2mm might give you a slightly mean-looking ballast bed.

I suppose 3mm should, all other things being equal, be better for sound deadening than 2mm.  And it might keep the track a bit warmer...  :D

Edited by ejstubbs

• 9 months later...

Has anyone tried the 5mm fibre board which is also used as underlay.  I guess it could have excellent sound proofing properties??  Example from B&Q,

http://www.diy.com/departments/diall-5mm-laminate-solid-wood-flooring-fibre-wood-underlay-699m/1520621_BQ.prd

attachicon.gifScreenshot 2017-09-12 18.08.44.png

May be too stiff to be used for sound reducing Migh work providing an elastic type glue is used

Has anyone tried the 5mm fibre board which is also used as underlay.  I guess it could have excellent sound proofing properties??  Example from B&Q,

http://www.diy.com/departments/diall-5mm-laminate-solid-wood-flooring-fibre-wood-underlay-699m/1520621_BQ.prd

attachicon.gifScreenshot 2017-09-12 18.08.44.png

I've tired to use this stuff as a base board instead of sundeala but it's too thin & fragile, for "O" guage could be used as a ballast but I would use that 2 or 3mm foam instead.

I first used the 2mm foam about 20 years ago instead of the peco stuff which degrades quickly, it's cheap and works ok and as mentioned you get it on a 10m x 1m roll, takes glue & paint quite well