'LINEAS CUBANAS' - Cuban Lines

Lineas Cubanas

I don't suppose you're going to Hershey...? I have drawn a GE Steeplecab for 3d printing but am needing dimensions from a modified square hooded loco (the last one in the world being plinthed there), and the Spanish railcars from scratch too...

Let me have aa sketch showing  which bit you need, if we get there I'll give it a go. Need to be today or tomorrow morning.

Measured up a cane car a few years ago at a hotel.

Kev S

Let me have aa sketch showing  which bit you need, if we get there I'll give it a go. Need to be today or tomorrow morning.

Measured up a cane car a few years ago at a hotel.

Kev S

Message just sent, and the cane car details you already have would be good for me to finish my 3d drawing of one.

• RMweb Premium

Long time ago, going round Brush in Loughborough looking at what became type 47s under construction. In the rank was one with a dirty big headlamp and the control cabinet in Spanish, everybody was a bit coy about it, but it turned out it was one of the Cuban batch. A few years later I was talking with a Sulzer rep who had gone out with the locos when new to see them through the guarantee period. He said that on one occasion there was a power plant failure and he suggested that they did a unit change with the spare one that had been shipped out with them. All manner of reasons were trotted out as to why this couldn't be done, and eventually he found out their friends the Russians had "borrowed' it, and it was being carefully examined in the USSR.

• Like 1

On 21/02/2017 at 21:32, TomHolley said:

Nice layout! Is there a track plan of what you've built? Regards, Tom Holley

Here is the track plan I used as a guide while building the layout.

It needs updating as the diesel sanding buildings and the oil tanks shown in the photos are not shown. A few other details have changed as well but essentially it reflects the correct track arrangements

The more eagle eyed amongst you will notice it has been adapted from a Paul Lunn design for Radstock Wagon Works that appeared in BRM December 2015. I mean as far as I am concerned why spend valuable time trying to re invent the wheel?

Prototypically, there is no resident shunter/s at Cienaga, all movements are carried out by incoming diesels.  So I have a couple of shunters in the absence of a run-round loop,  each working from opposite ends of the layout.

• The key part of the design is the four sidings to shunt, C to B D E and G or without B or G if other activity is taking place on A to B or F to G
  • G acts as a headshunt to C and F and B similarly to A and C

The operating plan is as follows and I am paraphrasing Paul here: 

Inbound/Outbound

Off-stage beyond B is the fiddle yard. Trains reverse into A so that a mainline loco would occupy the space between the security gate and point right without blocking the point.

With shunters placed at the end of C and G it should be possible to pull out wagons from tracks D, E and F to form a train to be attached to the end of the mainline loco which by now would have moved to B ready for departure.  

Once departed, this would allow access for shunters to retrieve incoming stock from track A, to be placed in the various sidings and sheds and the process starts all over again.  

Shunting

The Talleres at Cienaga, Havana serviced locos, passenger stock and railcars. This included fitting new wheels and bearings, general maintenance, cleaning, re-painting (including signage) welding and so on. 

On my layout it will also include a freight car works for variety and operational interest. Therefore, it would be justified to have wagons delivering components and those for service, in different stages of completion.  

Cienaga 6 Alt V 1.1.png

Edited by Lineas Cubanas
  • Like 3

Thanks for posting the track plan. Looks like a lot of activity in a small space. A repair track is a universal industry;as  any car can be spotted. I really like the inclusion of the derelict shop building. Well done!

Regards,

Tom Holley

On 24/02/2017 at 16:27, TomHolley said:

Thanks for posting the track plan. Looks like a lot of activity in a small space. A repair track is a universal industry;as  any car can be spotted. I really like the inclusion of the derelict shop building. Well done!

Regards,

Tom Holley

Thanks for your encouraging words, its very kind.

Cienaga in the real world is not a big facility but specializes in working on the Chinese DF locomotives these days. Although, there is a railcar depot as well which works on new CB-10 Russian DMUs being assembled in Cuba.

Beside the railcar area, there are two or three tracks to set out loco-hauled local passenger consists in between turns and service them. This prevents the transfer of them all the way to the main Coach Works located at Luyano on the other side of Havana. I'm not aware of Cienaga having its own switcher but they use any available loco to switch around the yard and works. The hard standing area is the railcar depot and passenger stock servicing point.

MGM-1616-11.jpg

Edited by Lineas Cubanas
  • Like 1

I gather two of the three coach servicing tracks are dummy tracks?

Regards,

Tom Holley

Hi Tom

Yes, two of the tracks are dummy tracks. Here's a photo of the area on my layout:

post-30675-0-01206300-1488363250_thumb.jpg

Its early days and there is still a lot of work to do on this area, adding details and blending the hard standing in with the surrounding scenery etc. Even though Cienaga has a hardstanding railcar and coach servicing area, I have based the one on my layout on Luyano:

post-30675-0-74568100-1488363341_thumb.jpg

It will be servicing some of the following rolling stock accessed by the newly laid and ballasted track as shown on the track plan:

Ex East German Railbus

post-30675-0-42135900-1488363596_thumb.jpg

Ferrocarriles de Cuba Taino Coach

post-30675-0-47487000-1488363660_thumb.jpg

I may also add the following to one of the dummy tracks as it is quite a common sight at Locomotive Works in Cuba :

USSR M62K

post-30675-0-87874900-1488363760.png

• Like 5

Hi Tom

Yes, two of the tracks are dummy tracks. Here's a photo of the area on my layout:

attachicon.gifIMG_5866.jpg

Its early days and there is still a lot of work to do on this area, adding details and blending the hard standing in with the surrounding scenery etc. Even though Cienaga has a hardstanding railcar and coach servicing area, I have based the one on my layout on Luyano:

attachicon.gifLuyano.jpg

It will be servicing some of the following rolling stock accessed by the newly laid and ballasted track as shown on the track plan:

Ex East German Railbus

attachicon.gifPicture 017.jpg

Ferrocarriles de Cuba Taino Coach

attachicon.gifPicture 005.jpg

I may also add the following to one of the dummy tracks as it is quite a common sight at Locomotive Works in Cuba :

USSR M62K

attachicon.gifScreen Shot 2017-02-28 at 19.41.14.png

That is some of the best weathering I have ever seen. Absolutely outstanding work.

Regards,

Tom Holley

I am a professional railroader; and have seen a number of model railroads. To me, a model railroad either looks "railroady" or not. Your model railroad is about as "railroady" as I have seen, and I mean that in the best possible way. If my Pavo, GA layout looks a tenth as good as the Lineas Cubanas, I'll be happy.

Regards,

Tom Holley

• Like 1

I am a professional railroader; and have seen a number of model railroads. To me, a model railroad either looks "railroady" or not. Your model railroad is about as "railroady" as I have seen, and I mean that in the best possible way. If my Pavo, GA layout looks a tenth as good as the Lineas Cubanas, I'll be happy.

Regards,

Tom Holley

Thanks Tom

Thats a massive compliment.......

Although I am starting to feel under pressure here......

Lovely, lovely work Matt; I think that concrete hardstanding beneath the shed roof is some of the best ground weathering work I've ever seen.

Thanks Andy......

I have to be honest.....the hardstanding area is Concrete Wall paper by Scale Scenes but I guess its done a good job of creating the illusion I wanted.....

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Thanks Tom

Thats a massive compliment.......

Although I am starting to feel under pressure here......

;) we were saying similar at the weekend about weathering wagons sometimes it just comes together and you're not quite sure how! On the plus side you seem to have reached a consistent level over the last two layout / dioramas so the intuition seems to have locked on :)
  • Like 1