Mid Wales/Cambrian Railways Brake Van limited run of Ready to Run

MarcD

Hi Marc,

That looks rather quaint.

Do you have any information regarding the appropriate era - when were they withdrawn? Did any make it through grouping to the 30's?

Assuming that such a van in the 30's is plausible, I'd be interested in a kit. What sort of price?

Best

Simon

I think the were sold off to railway contractors about 1900. the photo is of one that had been sold off. They possibly survived in that use for some years.

As a kit they will probably come in some where around the £50-£60 mark depending on how many people want them.

Marc

How many were there to start with? That one which I think was the only one to survive any length of time after the Cambrian takeover was in use by the Elan valley Waterworks railway. I'd have one in 4mm scale if you ever did one, but I'd settle for just having a drawing to build my own!

• Like 1

Not sure on original numbers one was used on the Kerry branch for some time. its unusual as it's dumb buffered. There is an other photo of it on the Kerry branch in the first volume of Cambrian Railways Album.

If the numbers are low I'm thinking of having them 3D printed as a one piece rather than parts then casting them, so doing one in 4mm won't be difficult.

Marc

Not sure on original numbers one was used on the Kerry branch for some time. its unusual as it's dumb buffered. There is an other photo of it on the Kerry branch in the first volume of Cambrian Railways Album.

If the numbers are low I'm thinking of having them 3D printed as a one piece rather than parts then casting them, so doing one in 4mm won't be difficult.

Marc

The Kerry Branch brake vans are standard Cambrian Outside frame brake vans, nothing like the Mid Wales one: 

post-21854-0-60697500-1483483843_thumb.png

post-21854-0-36953100-1483483850_thumb.png

Edited by Quarryscapes
  • Like 1

The date of the Mid Wales Bk Van starting on the Elan Valley works is about 1898, the photo is 1904,

approximately the end of the works on the dams.  

The Dams were visited by Royalty 21st July 1904,
The Bk Van is lettered B C W W, not B C W R (Birmingham Corporation Waterworks Railway)

Reading the excellent Oakwood Press book on The Elan Valley,

there's only mention of this one ex. Mid Wales Rly Brake Van being purchased,

which considering the number of loco's, coaches and wagons used on the works, would seem to be a shortfall.

I doubt if the Bk Van ever ran on a Railway Co's lines again, being dumb-buffered.

The Elan Valley book, I would recommend it.

Edited by Penlan

So from that they would be great for a industrial/light railway circ 1890-1900 and at a push Cambrian 1888-1900? our Cambrian era is 1900ish

Thus the Camb., Rlys at Rhayader, or nearby, thus connecting with Birmingham Corp's Elan Valley line.

If you do the Royal visit, that's the LNWR Royal Train too.

If you don't have the Elan Valley book, borrow it.

Edited by Penlan

Which version of the Elan Valley Railway book would you recommend?

Argh, well the one I have is hardback and published in 1987, £10.50.

Oakwood Press, ISBN 0 85361 353 2.  Being Hardback and nice quality paper pages, it's a pleasure to handle it... 

I'm not aware of any variants, or later editions, which may have additional material in it.

BTW - Various dignitaties, shareholders and councillors visited the dams and often travelled in a GWR Saloon.

In 4mm there is a (very) limited edition brass etched kit available for one of the GWR Saloons, based on the remains of the Saloon currently at Bodmin.  This saloon was often used by Madam Patti when travelling to and from Craig-y-Nos Castle, and the kit was developed for a modeller of the Neath & Brecon Railway.

Edited by Penlan

• 2 weeks later...

Link to the New Shapeways shop.

https://www.shapeways.com/shops/pre-grouping-railways

We also have more Cambrian that will go into our normal range at www.pregroupingrailways.com.

4plk,

Dead buffered Lime,

Explosives Van

2-4-0T (Rebuilt Sharp Stewart 2-4-0)

2-4-0 Albion Class Sharp Stewart (Choice of cabs, boilers and tenders)

0-6-0 Sharp Stewart (Choice of cabs, boilers and tenders)

we already do a

2plk (fixed side/drop side)

Wright and Son (Metropolitan C&WCo) 3rd

Wright and Son (Metropolitan C&WCo) 3rd Lug

Wright and Son (Metropolitan C&WCo) 3rd Brake

Ashbury C&WCo Composite

Ashbury C&WCo 3rd brake

Marc

Marc

• 2 weeks later...

A few photos of what turned up in the post this afternoon. It the first prints of the Brake van. I will post more once I have finished it. I have been asked if I could do some ready to run.

Marc 

post-13539-0-77355900-1485373034_thumb.jpg

post-13539-0-80066800-1485373081_thumb.jpg

post-13539-0-13546200-1485373117_thumb.jpg

• Like 6

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 years later...

Hi the 4mm kit was a none starter as it was not possible to print the the parts on the machine that shapeways had. There may now be a way of doing it now not checked for a while. It will have a look and post my findings.

Marc