A forum area specifically and only for recording ideas and progress of individual's challenge entries in accordance with the challenge.

Eskdale Green Circ 1890-1910

I couldn't find a reason they faced towards Ravenglass when the logic would have been to face Boot. They couldn't even use the excuse of that was how they were delivered as at various times they were sent to Lowca and Moor Row for repairs.

Marc

i asked this to peter kazer when i last saw his layout at a show, and he said it was because of the gradients arent gradual towards boot like we would asume, theres a hill in the middle (cvant remember the specifics) the steepest part is in the ravenglass direction, so the locos face it

Edited by sir douglas

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

Thought I should post an update on the progress on the layout. The baseboards and the track gauges are in the post so I can start building the layout shortly. The locos are about 50% there on the design first batch of wagon have been built.

Marc

post-13539-0-16342700-1521468597.jpg

• Like 5

• 1 month later...
  • RMweb Premium

i asked this to peter kazer when i last saw his layout at a show, and he said it was because of the gradients arent gradual towards boot like we would asume, theres a hill in the middle (cvant remember the specifics) the steepest part is in the ravenglass direction, so the locos face it

There's a gradient profile on this page:  http://www.pastpresented.ukart.com/eskdale/railwaymag1915.htm  showing the uphill section from Eskdale Green to Irton Road, but also showing that the steepest section is the final climb from Beckfoot to the Boot terminus, with about half of it at 1 in 37.

Cheers, Dave.

I think they were designed to be built in multiple gauges. However it's easier to print the correct tops in this case. My major worry for operating at exhibitions is that there were only 2 locos which does mean that there isn't a lot of scope for loco failure.

Marc

Marc - It was good to meet you and your Dad at the Bristol show and chat over the barriers about Lowick, birdsong, Gosport, D&T etc..   I look forward to seeing further progress with Eskdale Green (must be a candidate for some atmospheric background birdsong)  as well as the completed new and very smart locos on Lowick.

Best wishes

Rich 

• 3 weeks later...

Due to a change of family circumstance I have withdrawn from the competition. I don't think I could have done the job justice within the time scale. I'm still going to build the layout but in slow time. As I build the stock I will post photos here.

Marc