Sound project for the LMS Turbomotive

Coldgunner

I was fortunate enough to land myself a reasonably well built O gauge Turbomotive. I've fitted her with an 8-pin socket and she has a standard 8-pin chip in her and of course runs really well on DCC. Along with the cosmetic work that needs completing, it would be nice to take the model to the next level and add further details. To add steam effects I know I'll need to drill out the double chimney, but before I push ahead with such an endevour, I need to know if a sound project has been made for the Turbomotive?

There looks to be plenty of room in the front of the boiler barrel as its roughly 40mm diameter and the motor is mounted just to near the boiler dome. Pickup is on the 6 drivers, which 2 out of 3 axles are sprung and the pickup is rather good.

I've never seen any sound film or heard any recordings of the locomotive and can only imaginge that the sound is more of a constant application rather than a traditional 'chuff, chuff'.

Is there any sound recordings of her prior to her rebuild?

LMS No. 6202 based upon a Princess Class locomotive but with a steam turbine propulsion unit instead of standard reciprocating cylinders and valve gear. 

The closest sound you will get to it is a marine steam turbine, I don't think there are any in use today.   
The whistle, injector, coal shovelling brakes etc would sound the same as a Princess class loco. 
6202 was rebuilt in in 1952  very much like a Princess Class Loco but it was involved in the Harrow smash 3 months after conversion and was officially withdrawn in 1954.

Wiggy.

There's a preserved Swedish steam turbine locomotive, filmed here;

The turbine casing ahead of the smoke box suggests an arrangement not unlike the LMS turbomotive.

Thanks, that gives some insight into what she must have sounded like. I'm wondering of the various 'points' in a chuff from a LMS Princess could be worked to sound like a constant power application like the turbine rather than the chuff. There must have been a bit of a whine on her too.

• 5 years later...
  • RMweb Gold

I am wondering what Hornby are going to offer for the sound project on the Turbomotive?

Will it be just a generic steam sound or a modified sound giving impressions of the steam turbine.

Is there a sound file out there? If so. this might be preferable to the Hornby decoder.