June 2017 -800 edition

Reddibus

I'm sure we could arrange visits providing you weren't incarcerated too far away. I seem to remember that the Devonshire layout stations were all scratch built which at the time, was unusual.

Well they can't transport me, I'm already here......................

• Like 1

North Devonshire.pdf

That's great could you post them on this site show the younger ones just how much skill and innovation was needed to model in those days?

This is one of the few colour photos I remember of the North Devonshire with hand built track and the beautiful, scratchbuilt Eaton Mascot Hall prominent. Also some lovely old Exley or Hamblings GWR suburban coaches, an old Airfix station building and a Bilteezi engine shed. In fact for 1960's modellers this is like a snapshot in time. 

• 3 months later...
  • RMweb Premium

In issue no. 800, there is a 'Talking Point' by Steve Flint on coal staithes (I think is a valid term to use FWIW).

However that isn't the point of my writing this.

It is also discussed about the propping open of coal wagon doors to unload coal, about it being against the Rules (it should be, since its likely to damage the doors and possibly cause them to open in traffic). There is a copy of a notice by the Southern, threatening that the company, WILL NOT BE LIABLE, FOR SUCH DAMAGE.

I have just found a photo of that rule being broken. Page 72 of Bob Essery's book 'Railway Operation for the Modeller' ISBN 1 85780 167 7

clearly shows a wagon door open and supported on what looks like a saw horse! The location Bob says is unknown, but probably a Midland location as 3 of the 5 coal wagons are Midland (the others are Pinxton P.O.).

So while illegal, it still happened!