00 Works announce ex LSWR Drummond D15 4-4-0

Forester

May 2017.  OO Works just announced a SR/BR Drummond Ex-LSWR D15 Class 4-4-0 in production.

Big gap in the market for more Southern 4-4-0s. Excellent choice.

Three models, all with Drummond 6-wheel tenders:

BR early-crest lined black 30565

Southern sunshine black  466

Southern lined olive green 463 .

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Are they going to make it DCC ready? Why not?

Possibly because railway modelling is not about plug-and-play?

Regards,

John Isherwood.

Be a good idea not to get too hung up on this.Maybe an email or phone call would give the necessary information ?

Not optimistic that a pre-Grouping version will emerge, given the description "SR/BR ... Ex-LSWR", which is in line with earlier OO Works products; the I3 in umber was rather the exception.

Still we shall have to wait and see.

• 4 months later...

Just got notification today that my Lined BR Black (early crest) is ready to be paid for.

Thank you for that.Hopefully my Southern lined green should not be too far behind.

Hopefully not too close behind - I know it's my own fault, but I've got H class, P class, Birdcages, Gate Stock and probably something else all arriving in the next few weeks / months...

Edited by PrestburyJack

Thank you for that.Hopefully my Sothern lined green should not be too far behind.

Hopefully not too close behind - I know it's my own fault, but I've got H class, P class, Birdcages, Gate Stock and probably something else all arriving in the next few weeks / months...

Roderick Bruce confirms the green version will be closer to the end of 2017.

Edited by PrestburyJack

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

My Drummond D15 arrived today by special delivery. OO Works sent me an invoice on 5 March so it did not take long to reach me.

I already have a Drummond 700 and a Devon Belle observation car from them and it looks like another high quality item. I wont have an opportunity to run it for a while as I have not got an 00 gauge layout at home and our club layout at Godlingston Manor is not in use while they are putting some wood in the window and door openings to seal the room against draughts.

When I bought the observation car someone asked how much it costs. I said it was £115 to which the response was that I must be mad. The next week he asked where he can get one.

It looks like people are prepared to pay for quality. I think it is worth paying over double the price of a Hornby T9 and it is nice to have a locomotive made in England.

I look forward to seeing reports from other members about how it runs.post-17621-0-93489200-1520517407_thumb.jpg

• Like 4

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

I managed to get two of these from OO Works itself, delivered to-day. I shall of course have to renumber one of them.

I was able to run these on the MRC test track this evening:

post-27057-0-54719100-1530233096_thumb.jpg

post-27057-0-42603900-1530233118_thumb.jpg

post-27057-0-70505900-1530233137_thumb.jpg

An interesting model indeed. The coreless motor seems to start and stop quite suddenly, although perhaps a well tuned Zimo DCC decoder will be able to deal with that effectively. I noticed that it seemed, when hauling two carriages, to be quite inconsistent of speed when given a low voltage (on DC) and travelling on the straight as opposed to a curve, and would slip at low speed on a gentle curve on the flat with two carriages, but have no problems at a moderate or high speed.

These are certainly very lovely models, and are just the ticket for Brighton to Plymouth expresses in the 1930s.

I rather wish that I had not missed the I3s from a few years ago.

Edited by jamespetts
  • Like 1