planning a new p4 layout in templot

Kelly

I have been working with my friend Natalie to produce a plan for our 'small' layout. P4 is the gauge to be used.

With some considerations taken into account (portable, small flat, etc) the length was capped at 9ft after the layout grew from 4ft8 (originally conceived for the S4soc 4ft8.5" workbench challenge) to over 8ft. Longer than 9ft would be impossible to erect at home.

The plan has since evolved to be 9ftx5ft plus 4ft for a traverser. At home I'd probably omit the traverser to save space and the traverser will likely also be used with the other plan(s) being worked on.

Anyway, I have drawn up the plan in Templot. There are some points (pardon the pun) that need attention I suspect. I have yet to master slips (single or double) so that is definitely one area I need to find time to go over again (on the plan/box file the double slip is messed up and needs replacing).

The curves caused some headaches, but I think the solution I have come up with (rotating the station part and starting the curve sooner) works reasonably ok, with the two C10 points allowing crossing over/running round operations. The bottom most sidings on the left and right are likely to be changed as they're not essential at this stage.

post-11572-0-29557600-1494868085_thumb.pngpost-11572-0-91756300-1494868088_thumb.png

P4 layout v9 - broken double slip.box

• RMweb Premium

Have a look at different switch options for the A6 turnouts, these are very sharp curves compared with full size practice and the REA switches don't always give the best result. The "model only" switches give a much smoother curve and larger effective radius in this fairly non-prototypical situation.

• Like 1

Have a look at different switch options for the A6 turnouts, these are very sharp curves compared with full size practice and the REA switches don't always give the best result. The "model only" switches give a much smoother curve and larger effective radius in this fairly non-prototypical situation.

The a6 points are only on the freight lines, but I will have a look at some point at changing them for something less sharp.

• RMweb Gold

Actually an A6 has a larger minimum radius than a B6

Yes, but a much sharper deflection at the switch tips (1:24 instead of 1:32).

For this reason "A" switches were not used in running lines. They are suitable only for very low shunting speeds. See also: http://templot.com/martweb/rea_a_or_b.htm

Martin.

Thanks for the replies. I've taken them onboard.

With help on the Templot Club forum, the slip has been fixed and I've changed the A6 points to be B6s, there being no A points on the plan now (I'll have to find a use somewhere for the exactoscale a6 kit I have, maybe just not on this plan).

post-11572-0-58607200-1495455837_thumb.png

Shepperton - v10.0.1 - double slip fixed - a6 points removed.box

Edited by Kelly

• 1 month later...

With discussion/help over on the Scalefour forum, the plan has evolved a bit.

post-11572-0-78485200-1499807509_thumb.png

The slip has gone, and points moved to avoid baseboard joins. A couple of points unfortuately cross board joints, but I can't see a way to avoid this at present.

post-11572-0-23312000-1499807513_thumb.jpg

This is what the plan is inspired by. Compression and curve being used.

I'm quite happy with the new plan (thanks to help over ont he Scalefour forum). It feels like it flows a lot better without the slip.

kelly_shepperton_mod_2017_07_07_0104_04.box

• Like 1

It rather thinking to the future somewhat, but the plan has always been that the plan could be expanded at a later date.

The location for the track plan might well be Shepperton, however the actual location could within certain constraints be moved around with carefully changing buildings for other ones (made easier by buildings/features needing to be made removable).

A possible expansion is a small nuclear terminal as below. When/if this might be built I've no idea, but it could be self contained as well to operate seperate to this layout plan.

As usual I tend to have multiple ideas flying through my head all the time! Best get to laying track soon then...

(Please note the plan is very rough at this point, so bits might look wrong or misaligned).

post-11572-0-03708400-1499885007_thumb.png

Flask Terminal V1.0.0.0.box

• 2 months later...

Latest iteration of the plan (as posted on Templot Club with amendments and help - thanks).

Some widening of the lines to allow better stock clearance on the curves and timber shoving. The oil siding has also been altered to be a bit straighter, as has the coal siding, with the previous B5.5 point replaced by a B6.

kelly_shepperton_mod_2017_09_14_2015_24.box

post-11572-0-47153300-1505474011_thumb.png