Projected Dublo 3 Rail Layout

Wolseley

Hi David,

it might be that as the Castle is only a 4-6-0 it does not "slop" around as much but what I found is that it has about 1 or 2mm longer overhang.  I placed it on a curve pulling the buffer beam out as far as the wheels would let me then placed a small engineers square up against the buffer beam corner.  I then put a Duchess in the same position and after pushing the beam over as far as the wheels would allow there was a small gap between the beam and the square.

I don't know if it was like that in real life though.

Garry

Edited by Golden Fleece 30

I don't know how you can fit the reverse loop the other way without the terminus lines being in the way?

Garry

I took the suggestion to mean making a complete mirror image of the layout.

I took the suggestion to mean making a complete mirror image of the layout.

That still would not work as the trains would leave the terminus in the opposite direction too so would not get the opportunity to enter the reverse curve facing forwards. Practically speaking , the reverse curve is only of use for this design is if your layout is longer so the reverse curve is completely made before the terminus platform pointwork.

The other idea though would be to have the terminus on the outside of the mainline then you would be okay with a reverse curve for leaving and entering the terminus as long as it was built in to accept the train in the facing direction.

If you look on the "TT3 the next big thing" thread you will see how mine works from having a terminus on the outside although in my case it is on an upper level.

Garry

Edited by Golden Fleece 30

I think Dublo were keen on reverse loops as 1. with 3 rail they could and 2. it enabled the Pacifics to be turned in the days when there was no turntable and there would probably only be a tank and a Pacific anyway. (They were quite expensive and supplies were limited). Unfortunately their usual plans meant it had to be the wrong way around due to the location of the station, which meant the train had to be reversed at some point in its journey. Itn this plan it gives a convenient secondary route to the MPD, which can thus serve both stations (using a bit of imagination).

Trix had a neat point to point scheme where  there was a shed served by a loop from each station. The idea was that the train arrived hauled by a loco facing one way to be then hauled back by the secong loco which faced the other way. (Easy with their twin system.) The first loco then backed 'on shed' to reappear at the other end of the shed ready to couple on to the train, which had by then arrived in the other staion.

Hi David,

it might be that as the Castle is only a 4-6-0 it does not "slop" around as much but what I found is that it has about 1 or 2mm longer overhang.  I placed it on a curve pulling the buffer beam out as far as the wheels would let me then placed a small engineers square up against the buffer beam corner.  I then put a Duchess in the same position and after pushing the beam over as far as the wheels would allow there was a small gap between the beam and the square.

I don't know if it was like that in real life though.

Garry

Hi Garry,

I have to admit it's not something I've ever checked. I've only really noticed it with the Duchess, probably because I have rather more of them. The Duchesses are also rather faster than Castles with the 1/2" motor, which will make the effect more noticeable The faster Duchesses are quite capable of going around curves on two wheels with a light load (and usually flinging themselves off the rails in the process). (My first Montrose disgraced herself by doing this when running on my schoolfriend's layout and hitting his brand new Bristol Castle - appropriately we lived in Bristol at the time. Oops! my bad.... :O :sorry: )

I'll have to dig out the drawings to see if it applies to the real things. Their front ends are similar, but IIRC the Castle's coupled wheelbase is longer. I think 7' 3"+ 7' 3" against 7' 0" + 7' 9", but the memory is not what it was (as in even worse....)

David

Edited by Il Grifone
  • Like 1

• 7 months later...

I have been trying out a few combinations of track on the dining room table before commencing construction of the layout and I've found a loco that has more overhang than those mentioned.  I was running my Canadian Pacific loco clockwise around an oval of track (using standard curves) and had a passing loop along one side.  The loco was jerking a bit to one side where the curve was joined to a right hand point.  At first I thought there might have been a problem with the point (blades slightly out of alignment or a slightly bent check rail) but, after a few circuits of the track I realised that the cowcatcher was hitting the point lever!  At least now I think I know which locomotive to test the trackwork with for clearances.....

I have been trying out a few combinations of track on the dining room table before commencing construction of the layout and I've found a loco that has more overhang than those mentioned. I was running my Canadian Pacific loco clockwise around an oval of track (using standard curves) and had a passing loop along one side. The loco was jerking a bit to one side where the curve was joined to a right hand point. At first I thought there might have been a problem with the point (blades slightly out of alignment or a slightly bent check rail) but, after a few circuits of the track I realised that the cowcatcher was hitting the point lever! At least now I think I know which locomotive to test the trackwork with for clearances.....

I never thought about the CP loco as I would never have one as it is not British as such. I can understand the cow catcher extending the overhang though.

Garry

Hi all,

Looks like you have the makings of a nice layout there. My only suggestions would be to extend the line in what looks like to be a bay platform by about 12-18 ins. Will make it more practical. Also put a set of points in the 2 sidings in the bottom of the picture so that you can take a train into those sidings and then run round and propel the wagons further into the long siding while freeing up the engine. Other than the depictions of the platforms you do not say what buildings you will have . Might I suggest instead of using 2 island platform buildings on the main station get the mainline station building. it will fit nicely where the extended bay platform ends.

Here is one that is quite cheap on Ebay.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Hornby-DUBLO-Vintage-OO-Gauge-diecast-Ref-DA455-D1-THROUGH-STATION/292691435081?epid=645881450&hash=item4425c4de49:g:wsEAAOSwBChbbHpS

You might also consider the engine shed for your MPD,

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Hornby-Dublo-2-Road-Engine-Shed-5005/113230971859?hash=item1a5d1783d3:g:etUAAOSwyCZbjEtj

And the goods shed.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Vintage-Hornby-Dublo-Meccano-Goods-Shed-Moulded-Kit-5020-Depot-Crane-Railways-00/183389694084?epid=27016251854&hash=item2ab2e0a884:g:RR4AAOSwx0ZbevOO

There are of course the signal box, footbridge and assorted platelayers huts you could use if you do not already have them.

I have only posted the above as an illustration and do not suggest that you buy those actual items

OOPS.... managed to skip a page and missed your redone trackplan.

Edited by cypherman

Hi all,

Looks like you have the makings of a nice layout there. My only suggestions would be to extend the line in what looks like to be a bay platform by about 12-18 ins. Will make it more practical. Also put a set of points in the 2 sidings in the bottom of the picture so that you can take a train into those sidings and then run round and propel the wagons further into the long siding while freeing up the engine. Other than the depictions of the platforms you do not say what buildings you will have . Might I suggest instead of using 2 island platform buildings on the main station get the mainline station building. it will fit nicely where the extended bay platform ends.

Here is one that is quite cheap on Ebay.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Hornby-DUBLO-Vintage-OO-Gauge-diecast-Ref-DA455-D1-THROUGH-STATION/292691435081?epid=645881450&hash=item4425c4de49:g:wsEAAOSwBChbbHpS

You might also consider the engine shed for your MPD,

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Hornby-Dublo-2-Road-Engine-Shed-5005/113230971859?hash=item1a5d1783d3:g:etUAAOSwyCZbjEtj

And the goods shed.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Vintage-Hornby-Dublo-Meccano-Goods-Shed-Moulded-Kit-5020-Depot-Crane-Railways-00/183389694084?epid=27016251854&hash=item2ab2e0a884:g:RR4AAOSwx0ZbevOO

There are of course the signal box, footbridge and assorted platelayers huts you could use if you do not already have them.

I have only posted the above as an illustration and do not suggest that you buy those actual items

OOPS.... managed to skip a page and missed your redone trackplan.

The goods depot is rather expensive (OK I realise it's in Canada, but...), especially considering its condition, The other two are good value though it depends how much the engine shed goes for. (The original price tag of 17/9d suggests why there aren't many about. A two road shed from Airfix kits would have cost only 12/- and a bit of enjoyable modelling.

The goods depot is rather expensive (OK I realise it's in Canada, but...), especially considering its condition,

Unless he's prepared to drop his price, I think this will still be on eBay this time next year.  I picked up mine for less than a third of that price and it's complete with no marks or damage.  I don't know what the quote for postage to the UK is, but it's showing surface(!) postage to Australia as being C$52.19 (approx. £30.55).  Sounds like this is a vendor to steer clear of - Gostude's Canadian cousin maybe?

Hi all,

Thanks for the suggestions.  I had originally intended to use the bay platform more as a place to park a horse box or utility van with the doors open and set up a little cameo rather than use it as a platform used by trains - it's a bit short for that.  I may extend the track a bit, as long as I can still fit in the station building without making it any more cramped than a Dublo layout should be.

The goods sidings are the one part of the design I am not entirely happy with although, once again, if I add a loop I might risk making it more cramped than a Dublo layout should be.  Being able to run around and propel wagons would be a plus though.  I'll probably play around with the position of the track in this area after I have everything else in place.  There is only so much you can do when planning on paper or using a computer application - you never really know if it's going to work until you start laying track.

As for the buildings, I have a (metal) through station, two or three (metal) island platforms, one (plastic) island platform, a signal box, a platelayer's hut, a goods shed and an engine shed with one extension.  I also have a number of platform extensions, both plastic and metal - I'm not sure how many other than that I have more than I need (I think I may end up with two plastic and one metal left over by the time I'm finished).

And where am I up to?  One day very soon I'll be getting the wood to make the boards, but I haven't got around to it yet.

As an aside, our younger grandson (he's 11 months old) has figured out what the controller does - I just need to look away for a few seconds and he turns up the speed and gives out a little laugh - last night there were a few times when my Duchess of Atholl looked like she was about to launch herself into space and dive onto the dining room floor.....

OMIS

As an aside, our younger grandson (he's 11 months old) has figured out what the controller does - I just need to look away for a few seconds and he turns up the speed and gives out a little laugh - last night there were a few times when my Duchess of Atholl looked like she was about to launch herself into space and dive onto the dining room floor.....

Dublo Duchesses are very good at that! My horseshoe magnet one especially. She came fitted with 26mm Romford driving wheels (a previous owner had started to detaIl her and given up!). She was so fast I had to refit Dublo wheels to tame her a bit.

As you have probably noticed, the plastic platforms are lower being intended for 2 rail track, A bit of packing soon solves that! Trix Manyways, on the other hand need recessing into the baseboard surface. Even so, they are still too low for Trix bakelite track as can be seen by the buffer stops* having the buffers mounted above platform level.

* I still need a double one to complete a terminal station. They seem to have vanished off the face of the earth.  :scratchhead:

There's a couple of single ones here:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_trksid=p2047675.m570.l1313.TR1.TRC0.A0.H0.Xtrix+manyways.TRS0&_nkw=trix+manyways&_sacat=0

The price is OK (apart from the postage), but two singles don't make a double as the Trix double track spacing is rather wide in the stations, I had to use two quarter curved rails back to back to get Dublo track to fit.

There is also a Trix box car at a silly price, but it is one of Gostude's relations/friends/acolytes/aliases....

Edited by Il Grifone

Unless he's prepared to drop his price, I think this will still be on eBay this time next year.  I picked up mine for less than a third of that price and it's complete with no marks or damage.  I don't know what the quote for postage to the UK is, but it's showing surface(!) postage to Australia as being C$52.19 (approx. £30.55).  Sounds like this is a vendor to steer clear of - Gostude's Canadian cousin maybe?

No, that sounds like what the charge would be from Canada Post. They rake us over the coals, before you complain too much, try checking the price on the Canada post web site... I get, that's expensive, but it is what it is. I'm taking it that the engine shed is something like 12 x 24" by 4" tall, so Canada post shows that at 116 cad... 60/30/15 cm, 2 kg

No, that sounds like what the charge would be from Canada Post. They rake us over the coals, before you complain too much, try checking the price on the Canada post web site... I get, that's expensive, but it is what it is. I'm taking it that the engine shed is something like 12 x 24" by 4" tall, so Canada post shows that at 116 cad... 60/30/15 cm, 2 kg

It's rather smaller than that. Without checking. it spans two roads of Dublo track and covers two tender locomotives so probably more like 12"x6"x 4" and should dismantle into three pieces  - sides and roof (unless it's been glued together, of course, which would seriously effect the value). The British Royal Mail would rip you off with their rates too. Assembled it would be over the small package size, I think, and would have to go as a large parcel at some extortionate price.

• 1 month later...

34cm x 5.5cm x 13.5cm and 400g - or, if you prefer, 13½" x 2" x 5½" and 14oz.  According to the Canada Post website (I used a Toronto postcode - it was the first place in Canada that came to mind, as I have relations there) the cost of postage would be $13.09.

• 2 weeks later...

Have a look at John Winkleys site,he posts worldwide i believe,he`s even got a customer in Namibia.

https://www.jwmodelrailways.com/

Ray.

And his prices and postal charges are quite reasonable.  I have recently bought a number of items from John Winkley - the latest package arrived a couple of days ago, and included this:

post-30099-0-58754900-1541849161_thumb.jpg

post-30099-0-67303900-1541849204_thumb.jpg

They are a liitle undersized however - H0?

I would expect they are H0 although, that said, people do come in different sizes in real life.  To me the odd thing about these figures is the colour of the bases.  They look as if they are intended to be positioned on a well-tended lawn.

Mine are packed away at the moment, so I can't measure them up, but from what i recall they are a bit smaller than Dublo figures and larger than Preiser which are decidedly H0. I suspect they are scaled for Trix which is approximately 1/80 (they weren't sure themselves). This is described as 00 by Trix and H0 by Rivarossi (both have an elastic ruler).

I bought some cheap unpainted figures from China some years ago which claimed to be H0 (I had a silly idea of painting them and reselling them on eBay  - I keep being reminded of this ...). they turned out to be more suitable for TT, so I dropped the idea.

Mine are packed away at the moment, so I can't measure them up, but from what i recall they are a bit smaller than Dublo figures and larger than Preiser which are decidedly H0. I suspect they are scaled for Trix which is approximately 1/80 (they weren't sure themselves). This is described as 00 by Trix and H0 by Rivarossi (both have an elastic ruler).

I bought some cheap unpainted figures from China some years ago which claimed to be H0 (I had a silly idea of painting them and reselling them on eBay  - I keep being reminded of this ...). they turned out to be more suitable for TT, so I dropped the idea.

TT?  Paint them David then I can buy them :-), :-), :-)

Garry

TT?  Paint them David then I can buy them :-), :-), :-)

Garry

Hi Garry,

They are stashed away somewhere. (where????). If I could find them, you'd be welcome to them. I don't think my eyesight (or patience)  is up to painting them anymore.

They look something like these  (and likewise were sold as H0/TT, which is untrue as they are are quite small or at least mine are - these claim to be 19mm which is a bit large for TT. IIRC mine made a similar claim for size, but it was a good few years ago.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/100pcs-Unpainted-Model-Train-People-Passengers-Figures-Scenery-TT-HO-1-100/281907369221?_trkparms=aid%3D555018%26algo%3DPL.SIM%26ao%3D1%26asc%3D20140122125356%26meid%3De01125619ea94e5b8ba8c45b3c26b4a9%26pid%3D100005%26rk%3D6%26rkt%3D10%26sd%3D253704402903%26itm%3D281907369221&_trksid=p2047675.c100005.m1851

David

Edited by Il Grifone
  • Like 1

Hi Garry,

They are stashed away somewhere. (where????). If I could find them, you'd be welcome to them. I don't think my eyesight (or patience)  is up to painting them anymore.

They look something like these  (and likewise were sold as H0/TT, which is untrue as they are are quite small or at least mine are - these claim to be 19mm which is a bit large for TT. IIRC mine made a similar claim for size, but it was a good few years ago.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/100pcs-Unpainted-Model-Train-People-Passengers-Figures-Scenery-TT-HO-1-100/281907369221?_trkparms=aid%3D555018%26algo%3DPL.SIM%26ao%3D1%26asc%3D20140122125356%26meid%3De01125619ea94e5b8ba8c45b3c26b4a9%26pid%3D100005%26rk%3D6%26rkt%3D10%26sd%3D253704402903%26itm%3D281907369221&_trksid=p2047675.c100005.m1851

David

It's okay David thanks but I don't think I am up to painting small people these days mainly due to eyesight :-(.

Garry

• 2 months later...

It has been some time now, but I have some progress to report.  The baseboards are complete (other than some edging to fit for mainly cosmetic reasons), painted and the track has been positioned loosely in place.  Next I have to connect it all up and run some trains to check clearances.  Here's where I'm up to:

post-30099-0-61697500-1548635763_thumb.jpg

post-30099-0-39906300-1548635783_thumb.jpg

• Like 2