Dapol 14ton Tank Wagons O Gauge

LNERJP

Thinking of getting some of these, can anyone please advise on Class A or B, where all class A converted to class B, or did some class A remain. Looking for something to go in a short mixed goods train, late 1950's period.

Cheers

J.P.

• RMweb Premium

Thinking of getting some of these, can anyone please advise on Class A or B, where all class A converted to class B, or did some class A remain. Looking for something to go in a short mixed goods train, late 1950's period.

Cheers

J.P.

I don't know for sure but Google searches and Lionheart's blurb suggests a significant number of these Air ministry tanks were converted after the war as need for the original aviation fuel tanks declined. So probably safer with the B version by late 50s. Edited by Hal Nail

I don't know for sure but Google searches and Lionheart's blurb suggests a significant number of these Air ministry tanks were converted after the war as need for the original aviation fuel tanks declined. So probably safer with the B version by late 50s.

Class A (petroleum type oils} could be seen as late as 1970's in later stone grey body colour for Shell and BP plus other Companies liveries, Class B (heavy oils) were more common, either ESSO or SHELL & BP on black tanks.

Richard of Lionheart

• 2 months later...
  • RMweb Premium

Could l ask if anyone could tell me which of the new Dapol (Ex Lionheart) 14t tank wagons would be suitable for a branch line terminus layout?

I ve noted a tank wagon in a photo taken at Cardigan Station in the later 50s. Its an end on view so l can not discern what type of wagon its is or to whom it belongs too.

So l am trying to make an educated guess that it is more likely a "B" type 14t tank wagon probably carrying diesel oil for the local farm industry? However l have no idea as to who would own such a wagon, so is it more likely to be a Shell - BP or Esso, or would it be more likely to be owned by a local company?

Bob C

Could l ask if anyone could tell me which of the new Dapol (Ex Lionheart) 14t tank wagons would be suitable for a branch line terminus layout?

I ve noted a tank wagon in a photo taken at Cardigan Station in the later 50s. Its an end on view so l can not discern what type of wagon its is or to whom it belongs too.

So l am trying to make an educated guess that it is more likely a "B" type 14t tank wagon probably carrying diesel oil for the local farm industry? However l have no idea as to who would own such a wagon, so is it more likely to be a Shell - BP or Esso, or would it be more likely to be owned by a local company?

Bob C

SMBP had the largest fleet, probably half of all oil tanks in the 1950s. Esso is the other commonly used one. And yes they could be unloaded at many different small depots.

We've been through all this before, All you need to know

Fidczuk, Peter. (1993a) Air Ministry tank wagons part 1: The war years.  Modellers' Backtrack vol. 3 (part 1) pp 30 - 37.

Drawing Air Ministry 14t class A tank, welded.

Fidczuk, Peter. (1993b) Air Ministry tank wagons part 2: Post war service. Modellers' Backtrack vol. 3 (part 2) pp 60 - 69.

Drawings - SMBP (ex AirMinistry) 14t class B tank, riveted and SMBP 16t Bitumen tank wagon.

Paul

• RMweb Premium

SMBP had the largest fleet, probably half of all oil tanks in the 1950s. Esso is the other commonly used one. And yes they could be unloaded at many different small depots.

We've been through all this before, All you need to know

Fidczuk, Peter. (1993a) Air Ministry tank wagons part 1: The war years.  Modellers' Backtrack vol. 3 (part 1) pp 30 - 37.

Drawing Air Ministry 14t class A tank, welded.

Fidczuk, Peter. (1993b) Air Ministry tank wagons part 2: Post war service. Modellers' Backtrack vol. 3 (part 2) pp 60 - 69.

Drawings - SMBP (ex AirMinistry) 14t class B tank, riveted and SMBP 16t Bitumen tank wagon.

Paul

Hi Paul

Thanks for taking the time to reply, the information re SMBP tanks is most useful. Sorry if l missed this in earlier posts, as l did scan through the thread. However l ve noted the two books you mention and will investigate further

Cheers

Bob C