Transhipment

Chameleon

Re  the  Buckley  area,   quite  a  comprehensive  book  by  James I C Boyd   'The Wrexham  Mold  &  Connahs  Quay  Railway'  sometimes  available  quite  cheaply on  eBay  or  Amazon, 

I was  more  than  a  little  surprised  to  find  out  about  my  own  area  when  I  read  it!

The  LNER  in  North  Wales  who  would  have  thought  it!

Another superb Buckley book is this one published by the Buckley Society:post-28743-0-34131000-1500206906_thumb.jpg

As you say, LNER operated until the WR took over, J62/J63 and J69 tanks used mainly, followed by Pannier tanks, then an 03 diesel towards the end!

Appropriately on topic I converted a Hornby open wagon to one of the Buckley transhipment wagons a while back (using a good photo from the above book):

post-28743-0-47069000-1500207208_thumb.jpgpost-28743-0-74190600-1500207254_thumb.jpg

I have yet to build any shipping boxes for it. These were loaded onto the wagons via running onto a traverser table along the length of the loading platform, then moved to be lined up with the wagon.

• 2 weeks later...

Minffordd yard on the FFestiniog conveyed slate out but goods, coal and ballast in so it needed tracks at different levels to the SG

the coal and ballast siding

https://www.flickr.com/photos/train-pix/23567229532

23567229532_72cbc8ed2f_b.jpg

5537765818_d4dcbde1d6_z.jpgR579.  Minffordd coal sidings.  June,1961. by Ron Fisher, on Flickr

5537183597_bcd817f224_z.jpgR577.  Minffordd coal shute. June,1961. by Ron Fisher, on Flickr

and the for the slate out, the NG wagons are level with the SG

2903106964_b2d40707e0_z.jpg?zz=1Minffordd Yard by MartianMarvin, on Flickr

• Like 3

• 6 months later...
  • RMweb Premium

Those LNWR ones in Paul's link above look very much like the 2-plank dropsides from the Ratio 'Permanent way wagons' set of kits...

Very close but not quite. The Diagram 7 slate truck wagons were 15'6" over headstocks whereas the Diagram 62 ballast wagons (per the Ratio kit) were 16'0" over headstocks [Ref. LNWR Society, LNWR Wagons Volume 1 (Wild Swan, 2001)]. The ballast wagons have projecting end pillars which are easily enough trimmed back, yielding Diagram 3 dropside wagons.

• 2 months later...

The Chilmark MoD/Ordarnance Depot had narrow and standard, and had fork lifts (at least in the later days) in the transhipment between the two.

Hi Kelly. Long time maybe since this was posted but I'm interested in the arrangements at Dinton, (next door to Chilmark), and wondered if you have any further info, (perhaps photos), regarding the transhipment arrangements at either site. Hope you can help.

HappyC