Waddlemarsh. Somewhere south-west of London

Gwiwer

• RMweb Premium

Still at the theoretical stage though drifting closer to some sort of reality by the day.  I have the boards but I need to source legs.  Found the ideal in Homebase but it's a few miles away, we don't have a car and the order is too small in value for their delivery.  Plan B will involve a slightly closer source.

• 5 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium

Another month on.  Still no legs for the boards.  Until I can source and fit suitable legs nothing much can progress.  

But after shuffling things around in the room today I was at least able to rest the boards nearly level on top of the stock boxes and park some items for photographic purposes.  The back scene was previously used in Australia for a shelf which acted as bus and SR EMU storage and does not necessarily represent what I hope to achieve here.  But it's a useful background.  Likewise some stock here is new from its boxes and no attempt has been made to detail or weather anything.  The class 24 was "as new" from Hattons and seems to be OK; the weathered goods wagons are new and factory weathered for now, D6579 has been an occasional performer on Penhayle Bay for some time; it's not a 33/1 but note it is hauling not pushing the 4TC so is perfectly in order ;)  The 33/1s are still in boxes somewhere.

Also featured are the Bachmann SR substation plus the goods shed, grounded van kit and a few miscellaneous loads recovered from Penhayle Bay.

Given that the time period in this view is around 1967-8 the earlier diesel classes also obtained for the project do not appear.  Green classes 15, 16, 20, 31 and 37 are in stock and ready to work to and from Stratford in the early 1960s alongside some SR steam.  More of those machine have also arrived and a Q1 is likely to join them soon.  I just want to take a look at 33032 in the flesh before investing.  That's the "other" 33032, originally C32, not the class 33 which assumed the same number!

post-3305-0-04767200-1505577126_thumb.jpg

post-3305-0-22784000-1505577147_thumb.jpg

post-3305-0-71178900-1505577158_thumb.jpg

• Like 7

• RMweb Premium

Another record shot purely to show the "Stratford" types alongside the most recent SR steam purchases.  Not representative of exactly the same time period as full yellow ends post-date steam by and large.  

post-3305-0-88146700-1505650644_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

Not quite Jeff ;)

The room is more or less sorted out now, if not exactly tidy with everything in its intended place.  That does mean that I can now look around for some decent legs with which to support the boards.  My hope is that I can coach-bolt these to the corners allowing easy-enough removal if needs be.  The size and geography of the room is such that nothing which is not fairly flat or small can be got in or out; a baseboard with fixed legs would be captive but with removable ones it could be taken out if the project progresses to exhibition standards.

My rolling stock lives in plastic tubs.  These will be stacked two or three high according to size beneath the layout which must therefore stand at a suitable height.  It won't be unduly high by layout standards but neither will it be possible to use standard table legs.

Hi Rick

Glad to hear you are settling in, just found the thread by accident, so looking forward to progress

Ref legs, I acquired three sets of IKEAtrestles (http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/IKEA-wooden-trestle-legs-never-used-/253157344322) through Ebay for an average of £10.00 each, which made construction of the 'loose' bits of Waverley East very much easier

They can be easily adjusted, and you can screw into them or fix them as needed

Hope you're also getting time to enjoy the steam scene at home?

Peter

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Thanks Peter

I have seen what I want in Homebase in North Sheen but have to get them home to Strawberry Hill.  Unless they can be cut to length in store they are 2.8m as sold so to big for the bus or train and we don't have a car.  The order is also too small for delivery though I'd need some coach bolts as well to create demountable fixings.  Those I haven't seen in Homebase and would probably come from Screwfix or similar.  I'll also check out Wickes at Fulwell in the week as I reckon I could walk home from there carrying something.   I shall also take a look at your link as IKEA deliver here though it's £35 a time.

It's looking hopeful and I am starting to get the feel for modelling once again after the major disruption of the move and a serious down-sizing exercise.  And as we settle so I am making more time to get out and about.  Th Mid-Hants isn't that far and neither is the Bluebell both of which have "main line" connections and there are occasional steam specials out of Waterloo on the main line.  And once so far through Twickenham which is very handy indeed.