A forum area specifically and only for recording ideas and progress of individual's challenge entries in accordance with the challenge.

• RMweb Gold

After much thought and discarding various ideas, I've finally decided upon my entry for the cameo competition. I have often gone back to the track plan as proposed by Barry Norman in his book on layout design, but struggled to find an opportunity to utilise. As stated, will be modified to suit the space and operational interest. I have often thought that the contrast between the attractive station building and surrounding industrial buildings would make a great model. Although I will model a version of the station (probably compressed a little to fit the space), the remainder of the buildings will only be based upon the originals or copied / influenced from others that take my fancy.

​Because of the limited space, there will be considerable compression, but in order to add a little operational interest and to make shunting difficult, I will add a kick-back siding. Overall scenic board is 1200 x 450 and fully enclosed with associated arch and LED lighting. Folding legs give a display height around 1100mm. A bolt-on fiddle yard with sector plate will be an additional section and will also form part of the run-round loop.

​The track will be SMP 00 finescale, partly because I was acquired quite a few lengths of flex track and that the points are quite short. Operation will be DCC and operated wirelessly using phone / tablet, with points also DCC operated using servos and MERG electronics.

The period modelled will be 1975-1983 running classes 08,25 and 33 as these are sufficiently small enough to fit within the scene. All of these are sound fitted, adding to the theatre of the scene. Passenger stock being a DMU (2 car for the moment, but hope to add a 121 or 122) or two coaches. Various wagons will feature, serving the local industry via kick-back siding and others, yet to be decided.

Well that's it for now, but I'd better get on with it now !!!

• Like 5

• RMweb Gold

Like the idea. Trying to place where you could see a 25 and 33 together. Exeter maybe, or Crewe spring to mind at the moment.

Thanks, but gives the option of running two time periods. Earlier with the 25's or early 80's with the 33's. I wouldn't tend to run the two at the same time. Also due to the overall size, one loco at a time on the scenic side. The only exception being perhaps running a DMU into the platform.

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

Due to a disappointing issue with the car today on the way down to Bridport where I was due to show Orchard Road, I have a more time than planned to get a bit more work done on the layout.

Also the postman has delivered the book I ordered - An Historical Survey of the Midland in Gloucestershire - which as a few good photos of Dursley and drawing showing the station building. One task next week is to get these scaled and redrawn to 4mm scale so that a mock up can be made. I will use my silhouette cutter to cut templates as well as the barge boards / canopy / windows.

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

I will use my silhouette cutter to cut templates as well as the barge boards / canopy / windows.

Technology, eh?

Incredible what it can now do for you.

Remember the days when you had to laboriously cut such things out by hand? (I still do!).

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Also the postman has delivered the book I ordered - An Historical Survey of the Midland in Gloucestershire

Top book that, Richard.

The next colour album by Neil Parkhouse of Lightmore Publishing should cover Midland lines in Gloucestershire, so perhaps some good colour photos of Dursley. I believe it might be published later this year.

• RMweb Gold

Top book that, Richard.

The next colour album by Neil Parkhouse of Lightmore Publishing should cover Midland lines in Gloucestershire, so perhaps some good colour photos of Dursley. I believe it might be published later this year.

Thanks, I'll keep an eye open for this one.

• RMweb Gold

Not a great of progress to show at the moment, but the points are largely completed except for wiring and adding the stretcher bars. Should commence track laying soon.

Ordered a couple of buffer stop kits (MR versions) from Lanarkshire Models and usual prompt service (no connection, just satisfied customer), which have been made up ready to secure down.

Also made a mock up of the station building, but need to add a roof, finish the chimneys and fit a canopy. Has proved very useful seeing how much space is needed and won't need any compression.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...