LBSCR Singles in 7mm

• RMweb Gold

ISTR Burgundy of this parish managing to make sense of a similar Brighton loco in 4mm. And I think some years ago, again in 4mm, Russ Pochin did good things with a Furness 2-2-2, possibly by powering the leading and trailing axles, rather than the driver. I intend no disrespect when I say it ought to be slightly easier in the larger scale.

Which Craven single tank do you have in mind? 

The one featured in this thread was based on some castings of a Sharpie in 4mm scale. Chris Cox of 5&9 Models has also scratch built one of the tank engines in 4mm scale

http://www.5and9models.co.uk/scratch.html

and Peter Smith has built a Craven single in 7mm scale for Saltdean.

http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/98308-saltdean-lbscr-in-0-gauge/

There are also some thoughts on getting traction out of a single in a couple of recent editions of LB&SCR Modellers' Digest (link in signature block).

I hope that this helps

Best wishes

Eric  

PS Sorry but the button for adding a link to a piece of text went on strike after doing the first one. 

Edited by burgundy

Its about making sure the driving axle always has weight on it as much as anything. Personally I would consider a double chassis with a heavy 0-2-2 chassis with as much weight as possible over the driving axle pivoting around the trailing axle and a separate 2-0-2 chassis taking the weight of the superstructure on leading and trailing axles. 

There is little reason why you can't use two 00 motors and power all the axles, could be quite fun. or use a model car differential to power both trailing and driving axles from the same motor, in fact with a heavily weighted trailing axle and lightly loaded driving axle this should be most realistic as furious wheelslip would rob power from the trailing axle so it would probably not move rather than the take off like a scalded cat mode most models adopt when slipping furiously.

Contemporary reports suggest the gentle slipping of singles on starting was quite a feature and marked out skilled drivers from their unskilled colleagues.

"Kirtley Pete" of this parish has built one for this layouts. I think he built it form a kit, not sure who is the manufacturer. He is the best person to PM for more details.

Marc

• 3 weeks later...

Single wheelers have a problem with usually creating a lot of wheel slip especially due in part to gear ratio and size of the wheel itself. Hornby have this problem with single wheelers they make, even traction tyres on the big wheel have not helped. I agree with the idea of drive to the outer wheels and perhaps as mentioned weight as well to help. If building tendered single wheeler I would consider motorizing the tender instead