LBSCR 7mm bracket signals

I am involved with the Uckfield MRC's new 7mm layout, 'Lower Shalford'. This is a terminus based on LBSCR practice, in SR days.

The signals currently used are tall SR ones and are rather prone to damage. It would be nice to replace these with LBSCR wooden

bracket ones. The home signal would control,(reading left to right), the bay, single platform, and goods access via the

loop. I was thinking of keeping the height low, like those on Hayling Island. (Less chance of damage, and sighting under a bridge

to the fiddle yard. I am assuming that it would have three dolls. A low height arm for the bay, a taller one for the main and

a ringed goods arm on the third doll. Would this be the same height as the bay signal, or lower in height? Sorry I can't provide

a track plan, computer skills not up to that yet! These would be lower quadrant arms of Saxby and Farmer type. As sold by MSE.

Does anyone know of any drawings of the standard LBSCR bracket posts.? The posts look quite big. ( the layout was at Tinkers Park

the other weekend.

Thanks, I have the Southern Signals book by Mr Prior. That shows a single post drawing. I will photo copy the photo in

Southern Branch Line of the short home at Hayling Island to 7mm scale and work off of that. Thinking about it, the right

hand doll leading to the goods yard would have a lower height doll as it the less important route?

I have reduced the Hayling Island home bracket by 10% and it is almost correct for o gauge. The distance in height between the

centre line of the dolls, with different height arms would appear to be 2'3" to 2'6^. That's going from SR and LSWR ones. Not

sure if this is correct for LBSC practice though. I will take the spacing between the dolls as per the photo. Ant thoughts on this?

Attached O S Nock drawing of a LB&SCRly two doll bracket. Photograph of a four doll 4mm version I made many years ago, I used MS etches for the brackets, I'm sure they will also be available in 7mm scale, if not they could easily be fabricated. Model photo, Steve Flint.

post-702-0-26828100-1502707983_thumb.jpg

post-702-0-64695400-1502708065_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

Wow. Many thanks for this. I will ost something on here once done, but construction may start in the Autumn. Hope I can get the 7mm one looking

as good as your 4mm one! MSE do all the etches and castings in 0 gauge for this. The sighting has to be quite low as the signal is viewed through

a bridge on a curve. (Actually it's to stop some numpty damaging it as the layout is dismantled after a show!

Do you know what is the lowest height I can have one of the dolls? This will set the height for the other two. From the drawing attached I am guessing

4'0" from platform to the centre of the signal arm?

• 4 weeks later...

Thanks, I will be filing down square section brass for the post soom

Filing down brass square section for posts? I'm trying to give it up these days, much easier to let PPD do the hard work, all I have to do is solder 2 bits of brass together. :)

Edited by Stephen Freeman