Advice on my simple layout if you would.

swiftbeam

I suggest you have a look at the N gauge Ropley model that Tom has created here – it's fabulous and shows just how critical and diligent observation of a preserved line can make for a compelling and convincing model. 

If you can ensure that the landscape is a convincing preservation scene then I think you can get away with running whatever stock you like. I don't know where you are in the country but if Highley is of interest to you, then it would be worth a visit. If you can get there, a day spent with a camera would generate masses of images for you to work from. 

Edited by Anglian

My Bachmann 108 came today. It was an Ebay 'punt', hoping it was as good as the listing said, it is, it's perfect, I love it !!!

So with the above in mind, the railway is going to have to be a preserved line, incorporating Highley station, GWR signal box and two Peco GWR stone engine sheds (joined end to end if necessary). There is no way I'm not running this 108!!

The layout is going to be about 12 foot long by 2 foot wide. It must have a few feet of cutting, hedge row running and plenty of opportunity to pass and shunting. I'd also like a siding to store coaches. I'm not looking to run more than two coach trains or larger locos, so a smaller platform will work for me if it means I can have extra space for loco sheds, coach storage and shunting.

I think With your help, an interesting preserved track plan could be drawn up.

For a convincing model railway. Have a look at this: 

post-7128-0-53339500-1503304678_thumb.jpg

I think a terminus would suit your requirements better. I have included a 3 road carriage shed, and a 2 road Engine Shed with Turntable. The station loop will allow for a 3 coach train. The bay platform could be used for an autotrain or DMU, or a goods shed. 

Slightly adapted for double track:

post-7128-0-63329900-1503305283_thumb.jpg

Thank you very much for taking the time to draw that track plan for me. It's really helpful to see what I could get onto a 12x2.

Sadly I don't want a terminus, two large sheds or turn table. I do also have the option of making the layout longer and thinner if I need it to get some running length if needed, maybe 18x14"

Thank you very much for taking the time to draw that track plan for me. It's really helpful to see what I could get onto a 12x2.

Sadly I don't want a terminus, two large sheds or turn table. I do also have the option of making the layout longer and thinner if I need it to get some running length if needed, maybe 18x14"

It's my pleasure. I enjoying playing around with trackplans. If you can squeeze 18' x 14" you could go for this:

post-7128-0-41872800-1503310963_thumb.jpg

It's very loosely based on Highley. If you went for preservation era, there is room for a version of the Engine House too.

• Like 1

Did someone say Highley? Years ago I had planned to make an exhibition layout of that but in the end decided not to, as it's quite a task modelling a real location. But it's one of preservation's well known stations so I'm sure it will make a very interesting model.

I've attached some photos, if it helps a relative volunteers in the signalbox sometimes, I could ask them for some photos of the interior next time they're there.

post-31351-0-80900500-1503311641_thumb.jpeg

post-31351-0-44503200-1503311678_thumb.jpeg

• RMweb Premium

I notice two problems with Highley these days, one is the platform is too short for the trains going through, needing pulling up twice or passengers having to walk through the train, and as there's only one platform, you can't pass two passenger trains there.

• RMweb Gold

All very helpful replies, Thank you.

Maybe I could model an exact location that exists right now in preservation??

I am a professional modeller believe it or not, so making the model to a high standard is not a problem, knowing nothing about railways is!

I can copy all day long and get really over the top about exact detail. Plus if it's a preservation layout, I can run what ever I like :sungum:

So just need to find a piece of railway that gives me what I need and within two hours of Cardiff.

Try a visit to the West Somerset Railway........

Dunster springs to mind....

http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/69988-dunster-building-more-stations-on-the-west-somerset-railway/

Rob.

Edited by nhy581

• RMweb Gold

i have to agree with the suggestions of two-platform solutions; I reckon you will regret not being able to pass passenger trains, especially as you intend to exhibit and will need to keep things moving for the punters.

i have to agree with the suggestions of two-platform solutions; I reckon you will regret not being able to pass passenger trains, especially as you intend to exhibit and will need to keep things moving for the punters.

Please see my original post/picture. It had two passing loops!

Trains will keep moving, that was the whole point of having more.

Edited by swiftbeam

• RMweb Gold

Yes but the scenario of a passenger train stopped in a loop at a station where there is no platform while it waits for the section ahead to clear, while by no means unknown, is an untypical arrangement and the normal situation would be for a passenger train to pass either an non stopping passenger train or a freight in such a situation.  You could still model this in a station with 2 platforms, and have 3 loops if you wanted, but would have the option of the very common situation of 2 passenger trains stopped in the station at the same time, combining a service stop with the pass.  It seems un-necessary to restrict your options in this way, though of course if that is what you want it is feasible (just not the most likely arrangement) and Rule 1 trumps everthing.

HIghley in pre-preservation days was mostly used as a block post rather than a passing place because the situation rarely warranted passing trains there and the timetable did not feature it, and this remains the case for much SVR working, with the box switched out.  It is used for passing purposes when demonstration freights or ballast trains are running, and I was once on a train that detached the loco for a shunting move to pick up an empty coach there to take it to Bridgnorth, but most of the time trains come in from one direction, stop, and leave in the same direction, which I don't think is what you have in mind.   Of course the fault with this is that I'm assuming I know what you have in mind...

A way to save width if you can't go to 2 feet for the Woolaston plan post 34 might be to have an island platform in the middle of the loop so that a platform face is available to 2 passenger trains and a third loop on which a freight could sit waiting for one of the passengers to clear the section

Thank you, This is getting closer :-)

The size I could have if I go to trailer mode for every show is 18 foot x 15"

I don't want the platforms much longer than two coaches . 

The goods siding by the platform was removed during perservation to make way for a car park !! :-0

Car mode can only be 12 foot x 12".

2 coach platforms are ok, but for simple stations like Berney Arms. Something with multiple loops and things would have longer platforms.

Though that doesn't mean you have to run trains longer than 2 coaches. The train being shorter than the platform is totally realistic and looks better than evey train filling/ overhanging it.

How about something like this:

post-7128-0-34052800-1504000061_thumb.jpg

A small country junction might suit, so you have the bay platform for your auto train and DMU, two sidings with say a low relief dairy for milk traffic. It could be that the Mainline station is on the left hand exit of the layout, and then the branch is the bottom exit on the right.

Thank you for that.

Your plan 'would' have been perfect if I hadn't been to the Gloucester W R yesterday ! :-0

Now the layout will be a preserved railway at 18 foot by 15 inches. This way I think I can generate enough space to make a simplified Toddington :-)

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Piece of string question; it depends.  If depends mostly on what track geometry you are using and consequently what the distance between track centres is.  The presence or otherwise of pointwork has no bearing on the width, but does on the length, as not only do you have to allow for the length of the points but also the clearance of the tie bars so that they do not foul each other.

If this is for a fiddle yard, you will need to decide if you need to lift stock off the track; if so, you will need to allow room for your fingers to get between the stock without disturbing that on adjacent roads as well, and to use whatever method of uncoupling you have selected.  Set track geometry should allow enough room for this (depending on your fingers!), but Peco Streamline or scale trackwork will leave less and may be an issue.

I have 4 roads on an 18 inch wide fiddle yard (and 2 extra on an extension cantilevered off the side), but have clumsy piggy little chip fingers which I have allowed for; 5 is probably achievable if you have the svelte and graceful hands of a concert pianist or brain surgeon, and you might squeeze 6 in if no handling is needed and nothing is likely to foul on the sides, like a wall...

Edited by The Johnster

• RMweb Gold

Thank you for that.

Your plan 'would' have been perfect if I hadn't been to the Gloucester W R yesterday ! :-0

Now the layout will be a preserved railway at 18 foot by 15 inches. This way I think I can generate enough space to make a simplified Toddington :-)

Don't go to Buckfastleigh, or you'll have to draw it all out again...

Hi,

The railway will be 19" x 16 foot or 15" x 20 depending on how many roads I can get in and get the affect I want.

The railway will be 'based' on the The Gloucestershire Warwickshire Toddington station/yard complex. I'll not have space to model it as is, but hopefully a good flavour can be translated.

The feel of the yard will vary depending on how may roads I can get into the board width.

I've already got 6 steam loco's that will fit, coaching stock, DCC controller and station building inc platform.

Just got to finalise the base boards and work can start.

Thanks.

post-32430-0-81603400-1504779292_thumb.jpg