problems with EDGE browser in text boxes

• RMweb Gold

I have a problem when posting on RMWeb. In the box where you type text my spacebar has no effect. I have to write my text in Note Pad and copy paste it into the browser window. I use EDGE running on the very latest build of Windows 10 insider preview (build 16288). I don’t not get the problem if I use the full reply screen, but on quick reply (or indeed this new topic window ‘allthewordsgetjoinedtogetherLIKETHIS’

I cannot duplicate the problem in Internet explorer so it seems to be an EDGE issue.

• RMweb Gold

I don't have a problem replying to this topic as you can see.  But I'm using the normal reply window - where is the "quick reply" option that you mention?

There have been some problems with Edge after last Tuesdays cumulative update (KB4038788 for the latest W10 version 1703) which MS have acknowledged.  There may be another patch soon for that. 

• RMweb Gold

I don't have a problem replying to this topic as you can see.  But I'm using the normal reply window - where is the "quick reply" option that you mention?

There have been some problems with Edge after last Tuesdays cumulative update (KB4038788 for the latest W10 version 1703) which MS have acknowledged.  There may be another patch soon for that. 

If I click on 'reply quoting this post' then I can use spaces.

• RMweb Gold

But if I just scroll down to the bottom and click on 'reply to this topic' then I can't use spaces.

I've just done that for this reply with Edge and no problems, so it looks like you may have an Edge problem with your latest preview build.

I don't mean to sound unsympathetic, but isn't this the sort of issue you must accept if using cutting-edge "preview" (or more usually called "beta") software.

Is there not an expectation that you are testing it for the developers, giving feedback about any issues you find?

Perhaps you would be happier with the standard version of Edge rather than the experimental one?

(Sincere apologies if I've grabbed the wrong end of the stick)

• RMweb Gold

I don't mean to sound unsympathetic, but isn't this the sort of issue you must accept if using cutting-edge "preview" (or more usually called "beta") software.

Is there not an expectation that you are testing it for the developers, giving feedback about any issues you find?

Perhaps you would be happier with the standard version of Edge rather than the experimental one?

(Sincere apologies if I've grabbed the wrong end of the stick)

You are correct, but as part of being a beta test is reporting bugs. This is what I have done ( to both Microsoft via insider hub, and RM web) as if this is a code issue, then it is better they know it now rather then when Jo public get's their hands on creator edition on the 17th of October 

• 1 month later...
  • RMweb Gold

My PC has now been updated to the Fall Update (version 1709) and now I have this problem too.  Not every time but often enough to be a problem. I've had to write this reply in a text document and copy-and-paste it here.

Edit: The space bar is sometimes becoming a scroll-down bar. 

Edited by RFS

• RMweb Gold

After further investigation I've found that the space bar is commonly used as a scroll bar.  Try going into this site with IE, for example, and the space bar will scroll you and down the first page (and up with the shift key pressed). 

When replying in the text box it seems you need to ensure the cursor is within the box. I've composed this reply with Edge with no problem. 

Doesn't mean there isn't a problem somewhere though. I can reproduce the problem on this site, but not on any other forum.