Upgrades/Improvements on MOB

melmerby

• RMweb Premium

Hi all

Anybody have a link to info on what is happening on the MOB?

There have been several new halts and upgraded stations in the last few years.

Zweisimmen station has been completely rebuilt for the introduction of dual gauge trains.

Now Montbovon is undergoing some sort of reconstruction but for what?

Cheers

keith

• RMweb Premium

The newish station at Chateau d'Oex is a good example of the MOB's largesse. Three platforms and an underground power station fed by rail. Full disabled access via ramps as on the RhB rebuilds.

I was wondering whether the works at Montbovon were to provide access to other platforms without crossing the tracks, which currently is the only way.

It also looks like a lengthening (and raising?) of the platforms might be in the offing.

Montbovon seems to be a fairly important interchange but the platforms are quite short compared with some of the recently improved stations

There are currently three tracks and often three trains in them, one from Bulle direction and one each way on the MOB

Keith

Edited by melmerby

Yes I understand there is a plan to run a shuttle from Montbovon to Gstaad as well. The platform works are happening all over as the railways become accessible for disabled across the Cantons. I think there is funding from the Federal Government to help, but I may be wrong.

The new Stadler units look quite smart.

• RMweb Premium

Yes I understand there is a plan to run a shuttle from Montbovon to Gstaad as well. The platform works are happening all over as the railways become accessible for disabled across the Cantons. I think there is funding from the Federal Government to help, but I may be wrong.

The new Stadler units look quite smart.

Maybe they should fully integrate the MOB with the other connecting lines and run through from Broc (or further afield) to Zweisimmen?

After all many of the railcars are in the same livery apart from the initials!

Keith

Edited by melmerby

Maybe they should fully integrate the MOB with the other connecting lines and run through from Broc (or further afield) to Zweisimmen?

After all many of the railcars are in the same livery apart from the initials!

Keith

Broc is to be regauged to standard gauge and would run through from Fribourg.

As for Montbovon, Dutch Master has already summed it up. MOB is modernising in general, along with the rest of the Swiss rail network, and that means high platforms with subways and 'do not cross the track' rules - all part of the modern 'for your safety and security' culture. This is especially true at junctions where people change trains - witness the modernisation of Filisur on the RhB some years ago.

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium

The TPF website confirms that Montbovon is undergoing a refurbishment to improve access for disabled passengers and to extend all platforms to >200 metres in length to accommodate the longer tourist trains. At 259 metres long, one of the new platforms will become the longest in Fribourg.... Although Montbovon has just 260 inhabitants, an average of 430 passengers alight, disembark or change trains daily at Montbovon.

The station and line will be closed a second time from 19 March to 2 June 2018 with a replacement bus service... works should be completed by the end of 2018. The improvements will cost an estimated 32 million francs, to also include a new depot to house a collection of historic GFM stock.

Whilst the refurbishment obviously will improve accessibility for passengers, I really hope they don’t destroy the quaint character of the station, like they did with Chateaux D’Oex.

Phil

• RMweb Premium

The TPF website confirms that Montbovon is undergoing a refurbishment to improve access for disabled passengers and to extend all platforms to >200 metres in length to accommodate the longer tourist trains. At 259 metres long, one of the new platforms will become the longest in Fribourg.... Although Montbovon has just 260 inhabitants, an average of 430 passengers alight, disembark or change trains daily at Montbovon.

The station and line will be closed a second time from 19 March to 2 June 2018 with a replacement bus service... works should be completed by the end of 2018. The improvements will cost an estimated 32 million francs, to also include a new depot to house a collection of historic GFM stock.

Whilst the refurbishment obviously will improve accessibility for passengers, I really hope they don’t destroy the quaint character of the station, like they did with Chateaux D’Oex.

Phil

The current works seem to be to provide a new ground level for the longer platforms.

The ground at this point slopes down to the River Sarine and much of the station & depot sits on raised ground as it is.

If you look on the website and go to about 10:27 When the northbound camera train crosses with a southbound and a Tpf S60 service from Broc Fabrique:

https://www.webcam-4insiders.com/de/Wetter-Gstaad/102-Gstaad-Wetter-Webcam-Zweisimmen-Gstaad-Montreux.php

The work is very clear to see

Keith

• RMweb Premium

Nice find.

Makes it a whole lot clearer.

Cheers

Keith

Edit

There is another article in German "Zimo is nicht pleite" (Zimo isn't bankrupt) about some financial quirk that has put Zimo into administration for a few months!

Amazing what you find!

Edited by melmerby

Nice find.

Makes it a whole lot clearer.

Cheers

Keith

Edit

There is another article in German "Zimo is nicht pleite" (Zimo isn't bankrupt) about some financial quirk that has put Zimo into administration for a few months!

Amazing what you find!

I saw this a while ago.  They "forgot" to pay their social costs and so it does make me wonder given the importance and knowledge of this kind of thing