Simple servo controller

Dartmothian

Ok, so next thought.

Wouldn't it be a great deal easier to use an Arduino board to control the servos at whatever speed you want. One wire to the servo and one wire to the switch. And you could program in inter-locking with signals if you wish.

...R

Wouldn't it be a great deal easier to use an Arduino board to control the servos at whatever speed you want. One wire to the servo and one wire to the switch. And you could program in inter-locking with signals if you wish.

...R

No because it's easier to use the MERG Servo4 or the PMP 18 kit (for a single servo). Much cheaper as well - £1.86 for the PMP18.

No because it's easier to use the MERG Servo4 or the PMP 18 kit (for a single servo). Much cheaper as well - £1.86 for the PMP18.

I'm not going to argue Merg vs Arduino - that's mostly a matter of personal choice.

But either would be simpler and more comprehensive than the system being discussed in Reply #50

...R

Can I just point out that, as the author of post 50, I am a retired electronics engineer experienced in the use of Arduinos etc BUT I am all too aware that there are a lot of modellers out there who are not. And not, as you might at first think, the older amongst us. I am nearly 70, but spend a lot of my time trying to educate much younger modellers in electronics. Remember we were the generation that made computers generally available. And there are a lot of modellers who would like a 'mechanical' solution.

I am not, and I find electronics a lot more difficult than Arduinos. But each to his own.

...R

Hi Robin,

I don't know about Cliff, but I'm struggling to understand that. Without electronics there there could be no Arduinos. Maybe that's because I'm nearly 70 too.

Andy.

Without electronics there there could be no Arduinos

Yes I do understand that.

But I can program an Arduino without needing to know how to design its innards. Or, more realistically, without having to know the amount of electronics needed to work with a 555 timer and an Op Amp - both of which I have used in the past so that I reckon my comparison is fair based on my own experience.

...R

I think maybe Robin means he can understand how to program an Arduino and use it without understanding the electronics involved. This makes sense and is true of virtually everything electronic. We plug in and use a huge variety of such items, and they are all carefully designed to be 'plug and play', no knowledge required of what goes on inside.

I think maybe Robin means he can understand how to program an Arduino and use it without understanding the electronics involved. This makes sense and is true of virtually everything electronic. We plug in and use a huge variety of such items, and they are all carefully designed to be 'plug and play', no knowledge required of what goes on inside.

It's not necessary to know anything about what goes on inside a NE555 either. Page 5 tells you everything you need to know to create a simple servo controller. I'd argue that is nowhere near the learning curve required to successfully program an Arduino.