Birmingham Snow Hill in 7mm scale

kirtleypete

I use the 3mm clear plastic for platform surfaces. I build up the side walls and internal support pieces from 24mm stripwood from B&Q, and detail the side wall by adding a strip of 2mm plastic sheet to the wood and then the blue brick paper over that. Then the top surface can be laid over the framing and because you can see through the plastic sheet the curved sections can be drawn on with a marker pen before it is cut to shape using a Stanley knife. It snaps easily after being scored. When it's the right shape it is stuck to the wood with Evostick and then the top surface is modelling using more printed papers. Finally the papers are given a wash of diluted PVA to seal the surface. 

I do all my platforms like that; straight ones are easy but for curved ones it's about the only way I can think of to get the top surface exactly the right shape. The technique applies to any scale, of course. 

In this instance I stuck the building to the plastic surface before adding the printed papers as the building is heavy; the papers were just put on one at a time working around the building. 

The stones along the platform edge are taken from photo's of the ones at Horsted Keynes, and are a paper strip which is just folded along one edge and stuck in place.

Peter

Edited by kirtleypete

If the weather forecast is right today will be the last chance to work in the garden for a while so I've been making the most of it. I can finish this board off inside now, but I need the laser cut parts for the roof before I can do much more. 

38871402621_a4cbc26ecb_b.jpg

38871403541_7dfc038bd3_b.jpg

38871404721_04e8e7378b_b.jpg

I'll get the track ballasted while I can still get at it.

38871405591_4f5afc1cd3_b.jpg

This is the scene through the viewing slot, and below is what it looks like if you get right up to the slot.

38871406871_9dcc5f9ee2_b.jpg

Peter

• Like 13

I use the 3mm clear plastic for platform surfaces. I build up the side walls and internal support pieces from 24mm stripwood from B&Q, and detail the side wall by adding a strip of 2mm plastic sheet to the wood and then the blue brick paper over that. Then the top surface can be laid over the framing and because you can see through the plastic sheet the curved sections can be drawn on with a marker pen before it is cut to shape using a Stanley knife. It snaps easily after being scored. When it's the right shape it is stuck to the wood with Evostick and then the top surface is modelling using more printed papers. Finally the papers are given a wash of diluted PVA to seal the surface. 

I do all my platforms like that; straight ones are easy but for curved ones it's about the only way I can think of to get the top surface exactly the right shape. The technique applies to any scale, of course. 

In this instance I stuck the building to the plastic surface before adding the printed papers as the building is heavy; the papers were just put on one at a time working around the building. 

The stones along the platform edge are taken from photo's of the ones at Horsted Keynes, and are a paper strip which is just folded along one edge and stuck in place.

Peter

Hi Peter,

Thank you for such a detailed reply, it has certainly given me some ideas.

Regards,

Martyn.

• RMweb Premium

That’s what ithought you’d say,It’s just the viewing window that suggests it to me. This job is far bigger than that concept. By the way, have you seen this blog? seems to have gone quiet recently.http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/blog/191/entry-15773-livery-street-takes-shape-and-some-building-mock-ups/

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Hi,

Excellent work, I do hope to get to see it if the client exhibiting happens near enough to me.

That’s what ithought you’d say,It’s just the viewing window that suggests it to me. This job is far bigger than that concept. By the way, have you seen this blog? seems to have gone quiet recently.http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/blog/191/entry-15773-livery-street-takes-shape-and-some-building-mock-ups/

More recently some more here: http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/112788-brackhampton-snow-hill-a-relaunch/ I have seen rovex posting more recently still so can only imagine 'real life' - whatever that may be - is getting in the way and precluding more much desired updates.

The more Snow Hill the merrier to my mind!

The Birmingham MRC posted a tantalising image of their 3mm scale project some time back: http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/gallery/image/29235-birminghams-snow-hill-stn/ and I've seen it listed, presumably as a work in progress, when open days/exhibitions they've been involved in have been listed.

Etched Pixels was working on a modern highly rationalised terminus track plan in N but ISTR it not surviving a house move.

My N pre-1906(ish) track plan imagineered mish-mash for modern image languishes under a seriously worrying layer of dust as 'real life' certainly has terminated work for the time being - I continue to live in hope...

Regards, Gerry.

I've taken some more pictures to show the painted roof girders and so on; it looks very bright in the sunshine but should look very different when the roof is in place. I can't do any more until the rest of the laser cut parts arrive. 

27136412189_13e232b877_b.jpg

38197543304_2889a497aa_b.jpg

38197543974_c46244dc0d_b.jpg

27136416399_821f2bbfb7_b.jpg

38026527525_44e2e6a3ff_b.jpg

I'm having the handrails for the main staircase laser cut as well; this is the artwork. Imagine modelling that three times by hand! 

38026537675_6ed97c95e7_b.jpg

Peter

• Like 16
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

• RMweb Gold

A friend of mine has one of these (a real one). Would you like me to see if I can get a photograph?

http://nicwhe8.freehostia.com/btf/productions/films/BT0571/BT0571_v016.jpg

What era is the model set in? I thought those were only introduced at the same time as the GWR poster boards were changed to British Railways.

I've made progress with the end baseboard; the track needs ballasting next which is much easier to do before adding the cross girders. The area where the brick arches are is pretty indistinct in pictures so there has been some guesswork here.  If you've got a nice clear picture showing that I've got it wrong, I don't want to see it!

38449536544_b00a626920_b.jpg

38449538384_4509ee163d_c.jpg

38449539774_07db61e203_c.jpg

38449540944_b4171be502_c.jpg

Peter

• Like 5